Chef

Any tips for a newbie chef apprentice

You're not going to last.

Knorr

>Any tips for a newbie chef apprentice
Well, your picture already speaks volumes about your cooking dreams and general reality vs fantasy heroes.

yes chef

Ask yourself what you want to achieve. Then what it would take to stop you. Be honest as you can, because otherwise you don't stand a chance.
Keep your mouth shut and focus on everything you do, because from peeling an onion to washing rice, there is a right way to do it, even if you don't notice at first
Observe and learn from everyone around you. Likewise taste when possible, refine your palate.
Choose one good cookbook, work your way through it.
Get a decent enough knife and get it sharp. Practice prep till you can do it blindfolded.
The only things you should need to say are 'yes chef, no chef, x mins chef)
Good luck

Add chicken stock cubes to everything from soup to soufflé

cocaine is one hell of a drug

not OP but
what to expect as an overnight cook?
I have no experience whatsoever, the place is open 24/7 and ad said no resume/experience required as they're willing to train the right person

don't call yourself a chef, or even "chef apprentice", you faggot. 99% of people who actually get paid as a "chef" don't even deserve that title. Keep your head down, get your mise in order every single day before service, and listen to your boss. If he doesn't suck, which he probably does, he will point you in the right direction. And don't ever refer to yourself as a "chef" unless you're trying to pick up a girl. Fucking faggot.

Yeah, if they're open 24/7 and they don't need someone with experience, you can bet on it being a complete shit show. That's the best way to learn, but you'll find yourself getting fed up with it eventually. At the same time, you won't learn anything until you get your ass kicked repeatedly, so it might be a decent entry level job.

yea, i plan on working here til the end of the year if I get it, Im hoping it wont be too bad
Id rather do this than stock/warehouse gigs

what would be the hardest thing?

The hardest thing is getting through a rush without being a crybaby. Eventually you will learn that the rush is the easiest part of your shift if you set up your station properly. But you will have to get your ass kicked a few times first before you see what you're most likely to run out of, where you're wasting movement, etc.

Always carry a pen, marker and lighter (even if you don't work in a gas kitchen, even if you don't smoke. Be the guy that always has a lighter).

Keep a notepad. Keep a towel. Keep a neatly folded Chuck's cloth close.

Don't talk back. But ask lots of questions. If you need help, ask for help.

Awareness is key. Be aware of literally as much as you can. What the guy next to you is doing, what some waiter is doing, what's going on at a few tables, just keep your eyes and ears open.

on the first day, cut or burn yourself really bad, like to the point you're bleeding everywhere or have huge blisters, but keep working and try to act like you don't even feel it. Everyone will respect you

>Choose one good cookbook, work your way through it.
that sounds like good advice. i'm not an aspiring chef, but i think the discipline involved in working through a cookbook and trying to perfect recipes is good for any of us co/ck/s. can you recommend a good starter book?

know what the health inspector is looking for.

meats separated from the vegetables
dates and markings on all the prep shit
clean towels
chef gloves
a bucket with sanitizer somewhere in the kitchen
there's more but if you have a decent master chef or kitchen manager, you'll be fine

I actually saved my job just by hearing that the food inspector was there and immediately filling a bucket of soap and water and putting it in the kitchen

Sounds like a potential shit show, but, if you're looking for experience, there's no better way to cut your teeth. Being able to succeed in a shitty situation is a huge skill to have in the kitchen

Depends, really. Getting through a rush unfazed is big. Being able to deal with shitty coworkers/management is another facet to learn

Remember to wash your hands before touching food.

Take up drugs.
Watch videos on youtube and read books, like the french laundry, they help you get better.
Attack every job and fuck sakes work clean
Use being in the shit as a massive learning experience, being late or not having something on service has taught me more than anything else

Not him, but the Momofuku recipe book is really good. Lots of variety, fundamental stuff, but with enough character and fun to keep you invested.

Try not to die

Probably
True
Ideal
True
Bare minimum
most days
Fuck that guy, but yes be clean
yes
We're all going to die.