/Wine General/

/Wine thread/

What are you enjoying right now?
Discuss new findings, favourite varietals, opinions and everything wine-related here.

Pic related is what I'm drinking right now. Pretty fucking good.

Other urls found in this thread:

totalwine.com/wine/white-wine/sauvignon-blanc/conundrum-white/p/5009750?s=1110&igrules=true
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can anyone recommend me a decent wine? They all seem to taste like shit to me.

What varietals have you tried?
Most of the people that hate wine start out with Cabernet Sauvignon which is more of an adquired taste for beginners.

I suggest Tempranillo or Malbec, they are great varietals to get acquainted with wine.

try a vinho verde or semi-sweet riesling (for german rieslings, look for ones labeled kabinett or spatlese).

apothic red cause it costs $10.

Argentine and Chilean wines can be real bargains. More hits than misses in my experience.

>apothic red cause it costs $10.

It tastes like Gatorade fruit punch flavor.

>It tastes like Gatorade fruit punch flavor.
honestly can't tell if that's a positive or negative thing in your mind

but now that you mention it you're right@

i'm a pinot noir guy
best ive had so far

The apothic dark is non ironically really good. Especially for the price. I've served it with roast beef, bbq, and steak and it's gotten rave reviews from everyone who had it.

Forcing myself out of a wine rut and trying out Spanish wines now. Just had this; bretty gud

At first I could only drink moscato
Then I graduated to chardonnay

After about a year of shitty chards, I tried riesling and it was fantastic

>dat dry doe

From there it was onto reds, and I hated every single variety I came across.

Eventually I settled on cab savs, and drank enough that now I love them.

Apothic red is really good, if you have a costco membership you can snatch it for $6 a bottle which is a fucking steal.

I'm a big fan of Ghost Pines and J.Lohr cab savs

meme wine

>meme
Retard.

just stopping by to tell yall that wine drinkers are cunts, by and large

>read through thread
>look at this post
When everyone else seems to be the asshole, you're the asshole

>yall
Is this negro speak?

>enjoying right now
Been on a bone-dry riesling kick lately. Also trying some French fortified wines- maury, banyuls etc

Friulian orange wine, vin jaune, Rhone syrah- particularly hermitage- and old madeiras are probably my favorites, if i absolutely had to pick.

Pinot grigio

>tfw too much of a brainlet to be a wine connaisseur
I just go to the local supermarket and buy whatever decent wine's on sale for 3€ or less.

You don't have to be a connoisseur. Just enjoy it. Try new stuff regularly, find a good wine store- ie one that actually specializes in wine and has knowledgeable employees- and ask for recommendations. Can start as vague as 'what would you suggest for a really good red under {price range}' and go from there. When you find something you like, use that- ask for similar things, try bottles of the same type of wine from other countries/vineyards, etc. Eventually you'll have a better handle on what's out there and what you like, and it'll be way easier to look for wine to try, and your questions/requests can get more specific.

No matter what the fake elitists say or how many people try to suggest that drinking wine is all about how sophisticated it makes you look, wine is about enjoyment and it really doesn't need to be as intimidating as people make it out to be.

>find a good wine store- ie one that actually specializes in wine and has knowledgeable employees- and ask for recommendations
Never seen one

>try bottles of the same type of wine from other countries
Way too expensive

blends are a good place to start. pic related is very accessible and reasonably priced.

totalwine.com/wine/white-wine/sauvignon-blanc/conundrum-white/p/5009750?s=1110&igrules=true

>$23
>california sauvignon blanc
lol, why

they make some alright chards if you're careful to avoid the butter bombs, but otherwise california only really makes good cabs and zins

you need to go somewhere less hot for good white wine

>20 fucking dollars
>reasonably priced
Are you drunk right now

>never seen a decent wine store
>buying bottles of wine to try is too expensive
Literally how?

Buying bottles of imported wine is too expensive, and I've never seen a specialized wine store. I don't exactly live in the big city.

Imported wine is often cheaper than domestic because domestic is a younger market still dealing with startup costs and efficiency issues; assuming your "domestic" is US.

>assuming your "domestic" is US.
It's not, I even mentioned I usually buy bottles for 3€ or less in my first post.

>What are you enjoying right now?
Not this.
>FOUR
>MORE
>YEARS

Portuguese wine, more specifically, from Douro is my go to wine. There's something special about it.

You mean it's red, strong, and cheap?

I like portuguese wine just fine but it lacks sophistication. People just talk it up because it's "obscure".

>portuguese wine
>obscure

Do you live in a shithole? Portuguese wine is far from obscure.

Well, aside from actual port, it represents maybe 3% of the bottles at my good local shop, at best.

At the shitty local shop that focuses on "budget friendly" wines, it's more like 15%.

I think they are one of the better options for something inexpensive, certainly far superior to most standard "budget wine" countries like Australia or Argentina, but aside from contrarian hipsters nobody really gets excited about the stuff.

As far as wine countries that are perpetually "the next big thing" I'd like to see a lot more Greek wines. That's a country whose wines excite me.

You certainly never drunk the higher end wines. I'm not a wine expert, but for me, they taste much better than others countries at the same price range.

Also, they are well represented in my local shops. You can also find them online.

I suppose not, the fanciest non-port I ever had was probably around $17, it was some kind of hippie organic thing where the grapes were mashed by foot. Interesting but not something I'd want to drink every day

The cheaper stuff, $7-12. Again, fine, but nothing to get excited about. However I do agree that for the price range, the $7-12 stuff is noticeably better than *most* $7-12 stuff from Spain or France, let alone Italy, let alone the US where that kind of money gets you absolute trash wine. To say nothing of Australia where there simply isn't any good wine.

>You mean it's red, strong, and cheap?
So, it's perfect?

Just purple drank for white people to act pretentious

Sage

shut the fuck up nigger

Asian here. What races are allowed to enjoy wine?

You're allowed but your body doesn't handle it very well.

>considers 20$ expensive

back to the sip thread you sub-human

Mine seems to handle it fine. Thank you for your permission my melanin-enriched friend.

I hate "normal" red wine but fucking love port. Recommend me more wine like that.

How bout more port?

I mean what specifically about port is it that you like? And what kind of ports have you enjoyed? Tawny, LBV, etc?

Don't usually drink too much wine but I really enjoyed pic related
What the fuck is up with that bottle?
Stick to port then cause you won't get that similar dark fruit flavor with most cheap wine.

Don't know any fancy wine terms, but yeah the one I like the most is tawny. I just like how it tastes, how the hell do you describe why you like something's taste?

>Stick to port then
Well, sucks but aight I guess.

Amarone is a pretty good advice though

Also if you like boozy and intense you should investigate sherry and madeira, although it's a bit trickier to find than port or amarone unless you live in an area where there are a lot of reasonable educated wine drinkers

>how the hell do you describe why you like something's taste?
I think he means what about the nose/palate/finish did you like? White flavor notes did you enjoy? Did you enjoy the mouthfeel and intensity of the port?

>what about the nose/palate/finish did you like? White flavor notes did you enjoy? Did you enjoy the mouthfeel and intensity of the port?
Ching chong nip nop to you too

Okay well to put it as simple as terms why did you find it tasty? What did you enjoy about the taste?

It's good. What do you enjoy about the taste of a burger? The nose/palate/finish of the beef? The mouthfeel and intensity of the tomato?

Well i enjoy the texture, the spices used with the meat, the intensity of the meats flavor and the qualities of the meat used that differ from other burgers and how it works with the other components.

bottle is chilled and it's very humid in florida

>chilled red wine
Never EVER post on this board again.

>sauvignon blanc

Alright, never mind that. Never EVER post anywhere on the internet again, you illiterate fucktard.

Fuck are you talking about?! Beaujolais and even some zweigelts benefit from a little chill. Not fridge temp, but most red wines are best served at cellar temp, which is below what most folks consider room temp.

>Beaujolais
>"Wine expert Karen MacNeil has described Beaujolais as "the only white wine that happens to be red". Similarly, Beaujolais is often treated like a white wine and served slightly chilled to a lower temperature"
Oh shit you're right, I see it now. Chilled red wine is perfectly acceptable!

Fucking neck yourself.

that's white wine

I refer you to I think it's time for you to step up from wine to cyanide.

>I'm gonna be an edgy faggot to try and redeem myself on an anonymous image board

lol
looks like the shortbus crowd found wine threads
I'm ok with this, it means these threads won't die instantly

I think it's interesting that you like the idea of what's acceptable. People accept all kinds of bullshit, like the heavily over extracted red in OP post. You're not gonna get to define what's acceptable because people like what they like. Same reason you can't try telling Americans it's wrong to put chicken and/or ranch dressing on pizza.

If you want to talk tradition that's another matter. But stop trying to pretend that you or anyone else can pretend to know the right way to do anything in a world with som many various traditions you're full of shit.

There is literally nothing wrong with ranch on tater tot pizza you pretentious fuck

So I had this really good red wine at a party but I was never able to read the label. It looked like this and had the same sort of label but the label went right round it. It wasn't cheap wine as in $2.50 like the pic related one is. It may have been cheap but man it was goooood

I'm on an Edi Simcic thing right now. Generally I stick mostly to Spanish wines (great value and I'm a sucker for just about anything from Rioja) but Slovenian wines have captured my attention and I just can't get enough.

Hi everyone, winenoob here
Can you reccomend me a sweet wine that is less sweet than Port but more sweet than Zindanfel?

I'm trying to find my golden mean, I hate dry wine but port seems too much sweety to me so what grapes might be a tad more dry than port?

Try Valpolicella.
Avoid American wines, they are generally overly sweet or overly oaky.

>Valpolicella
I did try it actually, pic related, it was in one of the wine swettness charts but it was quite bitter and dry.
Then I realized it said Recioto Della Valpolicella and not "Valpolicella". And I couldn't find Recioto Della ones around.

How's Malbec compared to Zindanfel?

>The Velvet Devil
Solid merlot for $10

I generally avoid Malbec for personal, moral reasons.
I've never bothered with Zinfandel in all honesty.

This? I thought it was fucking disgusting. Experienced it visiting in-laws in Wisconsin. They all seemed to think it was wonderful. But that's my point. Different people have different standards. Same goes for wine. The guy who has gotten into good Burgundy might pass on a run of the mill Bordeaux, but someone who likes Yellowtail or Barefoot would see that same Bordeaux as a waste of money. Different people have different ideas about what's good.

I'm a big fan of Charles Smith. I met him a few years ago at a tasting in Washington. A weird guy, but really about what he does. Also, very reasonable quality wines.

When it comes to individual grapes vinification and terroir make a big difference despite uncontainable butthurt this statement will trigger

Good zin comes from ScV AVA and to a lesser extent Sonoma and the Western edges of Napa. Avoid RRV and Lodi unless pleb

Malbec, best is Cahors. Loire makes ok 'bec, they call it Cot

Argentina 'bec is hideous, kill everyone who drinks it

>Argentina 'bec is hideous, kill everyone who drinks it
Is that why top European winemakers like Henri Favre and Pietro Nanni have been moving to Argentina to make 'bec? Or why out of the 15 Malbecs considered the best in the world, 12 are from Argentina and only 1 is from France?

You are either full of shit and shilling for Cahors, or just drinking shit-tier $5 'becs.
Which one is it?

>considered the best in the world
By whom? Serial tasters with burned out palates who automatically give awards to the booziest, most overblown garbage in the lineup because they ceased to be able to taste wine like a normal person?

It's the infinite monkeys on a typewriter phenomenon, Argentina pretty much only grows Malbec so practically by definition some are bound to be better than others. If they didn't have a few that are alright it would be pretty impressive because it would mean they're so good at wine making they can consistently nail the signature "tastes like shit" profile that Argie 'bec is famous for.

I can fling my own shit against a wall for days and eventually probably make something resembling art. I guess what I lack is the chutzpah to actually follow through on that idea.

>Argentina pretty much only grows Malbec
It also grows award-winning Syrahs, Tannats, and is one of the largest world producers of Cabs, so you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, as I was saying.

I'm here to discuss wines, not your infantile grudges against countries, so thank you for outing yourself as a moron so I can dismiss everything you said ITT.

Tasted it once but spat it out

>that shit vintage
It's not worth it.

Stop making everything a general you faggots

AIDF detected
The only good wine from your country is the Torrontes, it's a shame you don't even recognize what you're good at

>I can fling my own shit against a wall for days and eventually probably make something resembling art. I guess what I lack is the chutzpah to actually follow through on that idea.

you mean, like you're doing right now?

no U

Any suggestions for Sherry? More specifically pedro ximenez.

I mean if you haven't had any at all just get some Lustau and branch out from there

Just bought a bottle and had half a glass to taste it out - definitely needs food but honestly not bad for a $10 meme. Not something you just drink straight up.

I just drank a 1.5L of merlot over a 4-5 hour span and I'm ready to fucking kill myself

>tfw you only drink big bordeauxs and burgundys
i feel sorry for you plebs who will never be able to taste the godly nectar that is a 1982 Margeaux or 2000 DRC

I had a case of the 2005. Very disappointed with it desu. Maybe yours will fare better but I doubt it. SORRY user

>only drinks wine from 2 regions from one country
Let me guess, you're Chinese, from Hongcouver, you're a few points away from having your license revoked for speeding in your Mercedes, and you prefer your DRC poured over ice, with a slice of lemon

Nah sorry bud that ain't me. Just got a rich pappy who got me into wine at the tender age of 6.

Sup Boys?!
Studying for my certified in october.

Anyone else recently take there certified? Worried as fuck.

I look at that stuff but I felt like I couldn't justify it given my other hobbies, and I'm not exactly poor

How do food service people afford to study to be a somm? I mean I realize it's your livelihood so it's like, professional education, but don't you have to be burning through thousands of dollars worth of wine to prepare?

How do I keep wine at "room temperature" in an apartment when my room's temperature is satan's asshole during summer? Would keeping a glass in the freezer and pouring in it be enough to offset the warm wine?

Doesn't really matter, if I get home and it's too hot I'll pop the whole bottle in the fridge for a bit, but I usually check the weather before I leave in the morning and leave the AC running if it's that bad

And if you don't have an AC, why the hell don't you order one? They're cheap on Amazon/Newegg/etc

I spend roughly 80 dollars a week on it.

I go to two tastings a week, one with 6 people, another with 8. We All bring a wine and get to blind taste them all. Basically thats how it becomes affordable to do. Its also all something I write off on my taxes at the end of the year.