So, I wanna start with the Greeks, but where do I start?

So, I wanna start with the Greeks, but where do I start?

Besides like Homer, what is THE essential Ancient Greek literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Start with the Greeks.

Don't be a pleb. Start with the Sumerians.

Start with the myths, I highly recommend Prometehus Bound.

It's an ancient play, one of the oldest we have, about a simple man who was horrifically punished by the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to bring light to the common people.

In the words of Aeschylus, "No good deed goes unpunished".

Homer and Plato can't be skipped, but otherwise it depends on your goals and interests. If you want more philosophy or science, Aristotle is important; for literature read the tragedians; for history, the Thucydides and Herodotus... It just depends on what you are looking for.

Just read Myth and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome by Berens and skip all that Greek babble.

Can I just say here (because it doesn't deserve its own thread) that I just read the Robin Robertston translations of Euripides' The Bacchae and Medea and found them very good. I have read other translations before, but I found Robertson's translation to be modern and accessible, yet at the same time strong in its literary merits

>for the terrible crime of trying to bring light to the common people

Clearly this would depend on the perspective, and an oversimplification of the moral here.

>"translated" by mr. pop

kek

Whenever I see someone shitting on the Pope translation I can conclude they are a pleb who has never read Homer.

Literally kill yourself.

Plato, dude.

Read Homer and Plato, then you can do whatever you want.

Pope and fagles are the ones I've seen most often here.

Why do you hate them and which is your favorite?

I read Fitzgerald way back in the day

You don't really need to read Herodotus if you love history. I'd say Thucydides and Xenophon, that doesn't mean you need to read everything the latter wrote though.

I can concede to that, given how unreadable Herodotus is with his waywardness. Still an interesting read though.

I read Samuel Butler's xtra homoerotic version. It was alright.

Poetics.

interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

/thread

kill yourself

Thanks

Whats next when you finish both classic greeks? I totally want more like the epic Illiad style.

there are more epic poems you dip

i saved it into my greeks note for when i get to that, i hope you don't fuck me on this one

like what

It has been 20 years since Google was founded.

and many more

EUCLID

You're welcome OP.

There are different, perhaps better translations of Iliad or Odyssey, but the most recommended one will not be poetic in the way Alexander Pope has done it, so I stick with whoever threw this together in insisting to recommend it.

>Pope

pffffffhahahah

You really have no room to complain if you weren't going to make a better post, retard.

Is this post serious?

Is the 2007 edition of Ancient Greece: A political, Social and Cultural History as good as the 2012 release?

Will I not miss out on anything important?

Quite a lot has happened in Ancient Greece since 2007, so opt for newer edition.

Yeah, but maybe the newer release was updated with more important information that was left out in the earlier editions or something?

I don't know...

fagles is good.

Is start with the Greeks a meme or serious, I'm from Veeky Forums desu

Heraclitus.

It is and isn't
Read Homer.
If you want to do philosophy read Plato and Aristotle. Greeks beyond that are for patricians.

Homer, Plato and Aristotle: all you need

Yes, that's where they start in college.

Try homer then decide if you want more. You will either love them or hate them

Maybe you should read a book called "How to wipe your own fuckin' arse"

docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

>Aristophanes before the other tragedians
>No Homeric Hymns
>No Euclid
>No Aesop
>Starting with the Pope translations

Are the Greeks Stockhausen or Kraftwerk?

t. Iliterate retard

It's serious. Everyone with a passing interest in literature should at the very least read Homer. If you're a stemfag you should probably read Euclid and the little that remains of Pythagoras.

>little that remains of Pythagoras
You mean a lot of the first and second books of The Elements

better chart

>'suffer' through Homer

Peasantry.

Bad. Bad pics. Picking up ten thousand guides and not just saying "complete fucking works you lazy cunt" is bad.
Also don't bother with Herodotus, Thuclydes and some other historians, stupid faggot.

what does your picture mean, i don't get it?

also why not "bother" with herrodotus?