Is there literally any difference in being

Is there literally any difference in being

>a) spoon fed the answer
>b) spending hours of agony clueless only to find the answer given on some online forum

The way I see it, you learn the answer anyway through someone else, an online forum or some book in the end.

So why is being spoon fed the answer looked down upon Veeky Forums?

No.

Its just because professors are too stupid/lazy to give you the answers. They would rather sit in their ivory towers drinking lattes and stroking their egos.

or you try to figure it out yourself without looking for an answer until you think you have it correct.........

fuck you people are morons.

Hey come one now. Not all of us are stroking our egos. Some of stroke their dicks under table as we watch the student plebs struggle.

Why do I need to reinvent the wheel? Is it not better to be spoon fed all existing knowledge so that we can push beyond that into new undiscovered territories?

If you can't figure out for yourself why figuring things out for yourself is better you are truly hopeless.

how will you be able to figure out new difficult things if you can't figure out old easy things first?

this is what asians do. they just cheat and get answers to everything. they can't actually solve a problem to save their life.

You are way, way too stupid to take seriously

When youre spoon fed, you dont learn anything.

Also when you do find it on your own it feels fucking amazing

So you're telling me you are able to figure out the answer to a question on your own in a complete vacuum, without ever consulting any help from any books, professors, conversations with people and on online forums?

How are books, professors and conversations with people the same as straight out looking at the answer?

Nice argument, brainlet.

Sometimes there is value gained in learning what doesn't work and why it doesn't work.

I think it's important to try.

Sometimes, you just need a hand. But, part of seeking answers involves being able to make your own conclusions, especially as you finish your degree and do your own work. I can understand a desire to help people practice that sort of independence.

However, 100% of the time a prof/TA/anybody said "You should already know the answer to that" etc, they actually didn't know it very well themselves. It's like the hallmark phrase of a fraud.

It saves valuable time even though the end goal is achieved.

>mfw he actually believes this

Yeah thats why most scientific papers aren't reproducible because everyone is focussing on the failures, right?

You realize papers that give failures are important right? Otherwise you would end up doing the same mistakes. Difference here is that you are learning basic shit. You have to practice.

Someone can tell you how to ride a bike but you have to try to ride it and fuck up a few times before you actually learn how to ride it.

Professors are meant to introduce you to a concept and give you the tools you need to tackle most problems. It's up to you to read from the book over everything the professor said and do problems from the book and from the homework. The professors job is not to teach you every single trick for every single problem, which is why professors usually pick an easy example problem rather than the hardest possible problem. If they did the hardest possible problem there, the class would not be able to digest it and would completely fail to grasp the basic concepts needed to continue, and they'd have to read from the book or ask for help, external or otherwise.

That being said, if the professor slowed down the lectures such that he went through each and every type of problem, you wouldn't do the homework as much and you wouldn't do as much out of class and you'd start to actually fall further behind. I've talked with other professors about this and they all agree that it seems as if the more they do for their class, the less the students perform. I don't have an exact study proving this on me, but I'm sure it's out there.

>However, 100% of the time a prof/TA/anybody said "You should already know the answer to that" etc, they actually didn't know it very well themselves.
That isn't always true, some students truly fall behind and don't know material necessary for even being in the class. I do understand the sentiment though, the more experienced we get the less we realize how much we struggled and what we struggled on during it.

I can confirm. I am half asian and went to school with many asians.

They will do shady shit just so they can get into good schools and just about anythimg. Though, i havent done anything shady cause i have white genes.

There was a thread here a few weeks ago about study methods. According to most research, passive ways of learning, such as being spoon fed the answer, are inferior to active ways, such as solving the problem yourself, in the long term. When you read the answer to the problem, you may feel like you got it, but two weeks later you will most likely be unable to solve that same problem, because you will have forgot how to solve it by that time. Meanwhile, if you actually solved the problem yourself, you will most likely be able to solve it again in two weeks or two months.
Of course, in practice, you may encounter problems that you can't solve, and looking up the solution is perfectly acceptable in that case, because you only have a limited amount of time available to you, but it is important that you try to solve the same problem on your own later, for better long-term retention.