Everyone wants to spend billions exploring a dumb, pointless, red rock

>Everyone wants to spend billions exploring a dumb, pointless, red rock

>No one wants to spend billions exploring the ocean

The ocean isn't that interesting and also the whole point is getting off the planet so we don't get wiped out by a single disaster event, not doubling down and going even deeper into the same planet we've been on this entire time.

>The ocean isn't that interesting
We don't know that. That's the point. We barley know what lives down there.
There are probably a large amount of unknown ecosystems hidden there, that we have no idea about. Plenty of interesting.

>getting off the planet
There is no getting off, lad.
What's your proposal? "Terraforming"?
Haha, cute.
Nah, Earth is the start and end.
Maybe we will have a little robot colony there in the next 50 years.

>Nah, Earth is the start and end.
Dying out before making it off your planet is the intergalactic equivalent to being a stillborn baby. Earth's just the womb, you're not supposed to stay there forever.

Sounds cool and all, but I think the closes earth like planet is a bit far away.
At least not in our life time. Better to explore the ocean, and not dream of dreams that depends on hundreds of years of constant scientific advancement.

The fact it's very difficult is more reason to start working on it as soon as possible, not less.

>very difficult
I'ts possibly impossible.

The ocean however... WHOA! Don't get me started...

"Possibly impossible" tier is stuff we can't even begin working on until technology advances another thousand years. Getting bases on the Moon and Mars is stuff being worked on fairly aggressively right now with plans involving technology that mostly already exists today.

It's about increasing species existential longevity.

We spend billions exploring the ocean every year.

Are you one of those blokes who think we need to close NASA so we can cure cancer? Despite the fact we actually spend more on cancer research than NASA?

Besides, most of our greatest strides in technology for ocean exploration have come from our efforts at space exploration, probably more than from any other source, save for that of making war, of course.

because Musk has a boner for space, therefore American has a boner for space

You can get billions then spend it on underwater exploration. It's your life, make whatever you want out of it.

t. James Cameron

There aren't even many contries on Earth that could survive 100% independently; I can't even conceive a point except for 100s of years past where Mars could be. And what good is 21st century placed 50 tonnes at a time going to be when a 22nd century rocket could probably land an order of magnitude more mass and better tech anyway.

bfr would be so much better off developing infrastructure in leo, or asteroid mining. Mars is a meme

Rocks are awesome. Especially when they're far away and contain enough water to make brand new oceans to explore.
t. geofag
What good is a 22nd century rocket when a 23rd century could probably land an order of magnitude more mass and better tech anyway

>Everyone wants to spend billions exploring a dumb, pointless, red rock

They're not really doing that user, it's all fake

They're spending it on their illuminati hookers and blow

There's not a single disaster that would make earth less suitable for living than Mars

*blocks your path*

>No one wants to spend billions exploring the ocean
people do this

It is likely that almost space shit is fake user. Moon landings, the greatest achievement of mankind is an obvious fake, the only reason why you don't know this is because you never really looked deeply into it. If you did you would know.

The ocean is cool, but we can come back to it once we've gained more extreme atmosphere experience elsewhere. People are happier to risk dying on Mars than at the bottom of the ocean. Also, colonizing Mars and getting asteroid mining going will use shared infrastructure.

There's actually plenty, many of which provide no warning, and at least one of which is inevitable. Albeit, that one's about a billion years off, but oddly, it'll simultaneously render Mars more livable and uncover everything at the bottom of those oceans.

Start lving in the META son, we have been at it since day one. it's about taking the next step and proving we can do it

>but we can come back to it once we've gained more extreme atmosphere experience elsewhere.
by then, all the currently remaining cool things will be dead

The point you're missing with that way of looking at it is you don't get to just start living on Earth after the disaster happens. You're there already when it happens, and that's what kills you. Whether it's habitable after you're already dead is irrelevant.

There's simply a lot more to learn from some red rock per dollar invested in it. What do you expect to find at the bottom of the ocean that would be drastically different than what we already know?

So why should I care if Mars is habitable or not if I die on Earth? And if I move to Mars, why should it be safer than Earth?

>explore space
>wake up cthulhu

real tough choice there

Anyway, the real thing is that right now there's practically no financial incentive to dump bajillions into ocean exploration. In the near future I believe it will become relatively trivial to explore with drones.

>if I move to Mars, why should it be safer than Earth?
How is that a question? Everyone on Earth means everyone can go extinct from one disaster event. Some people on places other than Earth means everyone won't go extinct from one disaster event. It's not safer on Mars for you, it's safer for the species to not have everyone all on the same planet.

Not op but why give a fuck about our species? This is all a simulation anyway. Nothing we do matters.

FUCK! YOUUUUUU

Living things by their nature have much more utility than anything you will find on Mars.
And life is more interesting and it should go without saying way more complex. Lot more to study in the ocean, and it's actually relevant to our lives. Going to Mars is the dream of faggots who never go outside.

If a disaster event destroys both all life on land and under the sea, it will probably also reach mars and kill everyone there.

Not "all life," our species. We're talking about our species. And you absolutely can go extinct without it being something that impacts Mars, 99% of the species that have existed on Earth already have gone extinct.

Are illuminati hookers better than regular ones?

heres the thing user

a technology only progresses if time and money is put into it for reasearch, i know, its mind boggling.

the rockets wouldnt be able to land orders of magnitudes more if we never developed them.

>but muh individuals researching privately.

the myth of the "lone genius" is just that a myth, scientific progress is made by collaboration, free sharing of information, and alot of dedication. there isnt gonna be some sort of tesla or einstein to progress the tech all by themselves, even tesla and einstein didnt accomplish all they did alone.

w u t

i litterally cant fathom the logic you have

so, would a super volcano or asteroid or some shit caused by humans or a virus targetting humans, or a a huge drought, or anything of thay like reach mars? no

a solar flare that would fry earth would dissipate by the time it got to mars, at leadt to below catastrophic levels, the only thing i can think of that would fuck both earth and mars is a gamma ray burst from a star which is big and close enough to hurt us, which is extremely unlikely within the next couple hundred thousand years.

that or a rogue black hole, and if its that, fine, you can have your cake, if the infinitesimally small chance of a substanially sized black hole entering our solar system does occur, we are all fucked.

what? are you implying we would have made litterally all of the species in the ocean go extinct by the time we get to making serious infrastructure on mars?

and also, sorry to rain on your parade, but

>there are so many cool creatures in the ocean

isnt a valid financial investment, with space colonization, we have materials to mine and sell for absolutely tons of money, we have the chances of increases the human race's ruggedness/ability to survive catastrophic events, and the chances to start building what will be the biggest market that will ever exist for humans, the space faring one.

If you can create a sustainable base on mars, you could probably also create a sustainable base deep underwater. It's likely even easier as the distance isn't that great. The traveling is a lot simpler.

>would a super volcano or asteroid or some shit caused by humans or a virus targetting humans, or a a huge drought, or anything of thay like reach mars? no
It also wouldn't reach you at the bottom of the ocean. Well, an asteroid could fall atop. But in that case, it wouldn't cause any issues for the people living on the surface.

>what? are you implying we would have made litterally all of the species in the ocean go extinct by the time we get to making serious infrastructure on mars
no, im implying that deep sea ecological systems will be completely destabilized, just like the rest of the world. Seascapes have been undeniably fucked up and we are already way past the point where we can study intact ocean life. may species will be extinct, and undoubtedly already are, as is characteristic of mass extinctions like the Anthropocene
>valid financial investment
why do you care about bankers making money? Its not like that benefits you, actually all it does is shift more power away from democratic institutions and the poor and into the hands of the bogerguys.
actually one of the only reasons i see deep sea exploration having negative connotations is the fact that hydrothermal vents are abundant in rare earth metals, and mineral exploitation would further destroy marine ecosystems in a place we no little about.
>chances to start building what will be the biggest market that will ever exist for humans, the space faring one.
yeah huge markets like agribusiness, industrialized fishing, mining and energy are always great for humanity. Wash that neoliberal shit out of your mind. markets are just a way to trade resources and capitalist markets do not work.

>we have materials to mine and sell for absolutely tons of money
Such as? There are no magical materials on other planets that will make up for the costs of space travel and mining them.

>we have the chances of increases the human race's ruggedness/ability to survive catastrophic events
so do we by exploring the ocean

>chances to start building what will be the biggest market that will ever exist for humans, the space faring one.
what leads you to the assumption that it will be the biggest market that will ever exist for humans? it'll just be another form of transportation. like boats, trains, airplanes.

>biggest market

it litterally space all of it and every planet out there, i said will eventually, itll be small at first but the potential is litterally as great as our solar system and possibly beyond.

>resources

not much that immedietly, but currently, mining helium on the moon with small rockets that could tap into the ground deposits and extract, compress and return with the liquid gold (helium) would be worth it with a very small bit more research, in fact, if you could set up a simple stop on the moon, and use a small reuseable rocket to take multiple trips, you could make an efficient system an get millions from every batch returned. though i do not think the first mining rockets will be fully crewed (they might be computer guided) as more companies realise that money can be made, and the tech gets cheaper and more reliable, mining will exponentially increase.

you assume job opportunities will never get to us.

you also assume that any and all markets being made is only bad for everyone, which it isnt.

im no libtard, and im probably biased because ill be making money from this sooner than a majority of people, but economic expansion has always lead to more and cheaper goods for people in the end.

>Super-Bacteria on water and air which kill 99% of things alive
>Shhh it is nothing personal

>The ocean isn't that interesting

Nigga we literally based our hypothesis of life on other planets and moons like Mars and Europa on Chemosynthesis which is exclusively found in the ocean. It's also the best evidence we have to explain how life could sustain itself by using inorganic matter.

Am I the only one who instantly discards a post when someone starts it with "nigga"?