I've got a cow tongue in the pressure cooker. Let's see how this goes

I've got a cow tongue in the pressure cooker. Let's see how this goes.

Did you skin it first?

Making tacos?

I'm going to briefly pressure cook it, then scrape the skin off before proceeding

I'm interested. How long are you pressure cooking it?

Do you think the cow tongue tastes human tongue when you eat it

A bit mangled, but I peeled it

10 minutes to start with, but more cooking is coming

Forgot pic

And back into the pressure cooker with ~5 cups of water, an onion cut in half, a leek cut in half, one stalk of celery with its leaves, two cloves of crushed garlic, half a red bell pepper, 2 tsp of salt, and 4 whole grains of pepper. I'm going to cook at pressure for 50 minutes and see if it's soft enough.

whoa

>two cloves of garlic
Woah, we got a badass over here!

>two cloves of crushed garlic

COWARD.

Shouldn't you have seared it first?

Maybe, I might try that next time

That does sound like a better idea and use some wine or beer to deglaze and add to the pot. I still don't think OP's is ruined, just might have been improved.

I gave the tongue an extra ten minutes at pressure to soften it up more. Now I'll reduce the broth for about 12 minutes then strain it.

Almost done reducing the broth, so let's start cooking some diced onion in butter

dun dun dun da da dun dun
pressure dun da da dun dun

And in goes the tongue

Are you making tacos? If not, what are you going to do with the tongue?

Added half a cup of reduced broth and set to simmer for 15 mins

Look I don't know what this board's obsession is with lower-quality meats but you should never be eating the tongue of an animal in a first world country

End yourself faggot piece of fucking human garbage

Pleb detected

It actually makes god tier tacos. Hence why I keep asking the OP if he's making tacos with it.

Adding the rest of the reduced broth (2 cups), two tablespoons of vinegar, one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup of white wine, one tablespoon of grated papelon, and thirty prunes. Bringing to a boil, then covering and simmering for 40 minutes.

1 cup + 2 tbsp masarepa, 1 tbsp oil, a bit of salt, and two cups of boiling water

Start searing the outsides

>Shouldn't you have seared it first?
No, people also poach or braise tongue, first, to more remove the weirdly clinging outer tongue "skin" over the muscle. There'd be little need to sear the exposed muscle underneath, it's already cooked. It will brown at the end, same difference.
>Look I don't know what this board's obsession is with lower-quality meats but you should never be eating the tongue of an animal in a first world country
It was a pretty popular cut with the wealthy in Spain. When poached in wine and herbs, it was a lovely cold luncheon meat to slice, that has a uniquely fine texture that isn't all processed ground up meat. It was especially prized from lamb or veal. Qualitywise, there's no mistaking that tongue is a high quality cut, no matter how much it grosses you out. I think it was even served on the Titantic and the QE2. Look at all that freaking work OP did. I am not doing it myself, but I've been very delighted when it was served to me whether in Italy or South America or in a great latin restaurant in Miami (venezuelans also love it).

ohhhh, maybe OP is Venezuelan afterall.

Arepas are seared, putting them directly onto the rack of a 400F oven for 20 mins, will flip them halfway through

Haha, you caught me

My second guess was Colombian, but there's more elegant old world Spain in Venezuelan cooking *compliments to you*

I can't wait to see your finished dish!

I love prunes in savory dishes but why use them here? Will they be eaten at the end?

Because they taste good, and yes.

Thanks, much appreciated

he's not wrong

feed the tongue to fucking dogs

christ

Tongue is pretty much done now, I'll chop it up before serving

And we're ready to eat

Cow tongue sounded revolting to me, but you've made it look great. What does the taste compare to?

Looks good, would eat.

Thanks. It pretty much tastes like a very rich, fatty beef. The only caveat is the difficult peeling and the fact that you need to cook it for a long time to make it tender.

And as a bonus, we made some quesillo de coco while the arepas were baking

Very nice. You've convinced me to try tongue next time I do something latin themed.

Thinly sliced cold tongue on rye bread with a bit of mustard or horseradish is a god-tier sandwich, user.

>quesillo de coco
receta plz!!!

Thanks for the final pics, OP. It looks amazing. Oh, and I bet the cold leftovers will be divine too, those simmered prunes, mm.

OP, I think bringing out the fine silver was definitely a nice touch, considering all the love and time that went into your delicious dinner afterall.

Stay classy!

>make some caramel and coat the bottom of a baking dish with it
>mix together 4 large eggs, 14oz of sweetened condensed milk, and 14oz of coconut milk
>pour into caramel coated dish
>put caramel coated dish into a bigger dish with an inch or so of hot water in it, then cover the whole thing with foil
>bake at 400F for about an hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden skewer poked into it comes out clean
>flip onto serving tray so the caramel is on top
>put in fridge until cold, then serve

It's popular with the French too.
My family is Cajun french, so I'm sure the true and blue frogs will prepare this differently, but we essentially do simmilar to OP in the we cook to get the skin off.
However, we differ when it comes to the next step, sorta. 1 tbs of sugar and oil in a magnalite or similarly thick bottomed stew pot when heated together turns dark brown, and when you drop the cow tongue seasoned with Tonys, stuffed with onion and garlic, it basically immediately caramalizes and browns the outside. Add diced onion, more garlic, and a bit of wine or broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan, cook down some more, deglaze the pan, cook down some more, on and on over 4 or 5 hours makes an uber tender tongue with thick brown gravy that you serve over rice.
Or, if you wanna be lazy, after you brown the tongue just throw it in a slow cooker with pepper, onion, and potatoes until its tender, but your gravy wont' turn out nearly so nice and thicc
Pic pretty related