So I have to fucking pay MORE if someone at my table wants to share what they ordered?

So I have to fucking pay MORE if someone at my table wants to share what they ordered?

This restaurant can go fuck itself

I feel the same way about sharing fees on menus, but I understand it is only there because busy restaurants have to deal with really really really really cheap customers, such as senior citizens splitting one meal, especially a "special" whereby the eat the provided salad, buy a soup, and then split the main, squeeze free lemons into their waters using half the packets of sugar for free lemonade, and then don't tip. I think of this surcharge as sort of a nasty thing, but if you've seen what I've seen (like the old Wolfies on Miami Beach), you might understand why certain areas have shitty shit like this on their menus.

And, to top it off, there will always be some waiter or slow-thinker shift manager who doesn't understand the intention of the splitting charges, and charge parents for chopping up pieces of their steak and veggies and providing a 5 bite sampler for their literal 18mo old in the high chair.

Basically user instead of crossing off the restaurant for life, consider their attitude/service and clientele overall. Simply don't share single dinners. If your dining companion or you isn't ordering an entree then you're not eating. If you two are dividing your shit down the middle or asking the chef to to do it, cough up your $1.50 or take home leftovers. It's not a big charge, honestly. I've seen worse. What irks me even more is some kind of food container charge for the doggie bag. If I am forced to pay for some kind of takeout charge for containers, they should look better than average.

I honestly don't understand your defense of this. The restaurant is getting paid the same whether I split the food or not. If it were a buffet I could understand, but if I'm paying for the food they have no right to charge me extra for giving it to someone else. The only money they're actually losing is the money they would've gotten from people like OP, who simply go somewhere else. It's just like when vidya devs complain about piracy - 99% of the people pirating games either had no intention of buying it regardless or just buy the game if they like it to support the dev. Asking for what amounts to a sharing tax is only shooting yourself in the foot.

>they have no right to charge me extra for giving it to someone else.

It's their restaurant, they can implement whatever dumb rules they want.

That's fair, they could ask for the deed to your house at the door if they wanted to. I should rephrase that they have no real argument for including splitting costs other than "We're charging you more money simply because we can."

>I honestly don't understand your defense of this
Because capitalism, and if you don't like it go somewhere else.

I'm not entirely completely defending it. I detest it for myself as much as you, but I have seen people abuse special values on meals in very creative ways. To not put this charge on some menus, means you and I, would see less specials.

The difference is 1) the cook is not asked to do special orders like splitting it in the kitchen without the fee and 2) the overall table bill might be higher for the restaurant and the waiter tip percent, if there is this understanding that there is little savings for sitting there and not ordering your own entree. Remember restaurants don't care about free refills with their backend expenses so low, just that every diner pays $2 for a drink, versus nothing at all. They have an idea every person in every seat needs to spend x dollars every x minutes. Most of what you see on menus in prices have to do with local competition, overhead, wages, speed of turnover, and little to do with actual food costs.

Some places aren't concerned as much as shooting yourself. They clientele is seasonal, their food is really good or highly rated at least, or the customer has little options once they actually sit down. Tripadvisor and Yelp can't kill all businesses, nor can the lack of repeat diner with principles. You might be pissed when you see this, but you might have to admit they have the best belgian waffles in town, and you don't ever split food anyway so *shrug*

The service industry is getting more and more up it's own ass ever since the recession. Too many college educated kids in an industry meant for drop outs. This entitlement manifests itself in such policies. Doesn't help matters that half of the clientele also tends to be ex service industry and will do anything to try and please the servers and restaurants.

That's as bad as having gratuity rolled into a check.

Its easy to understand and defend if you've seen exactly what was described. Restaurants, to stay profitable, have to be able to make a certain amount of money, per head, or per table. If everyone came in and started splitting entrees, the restaurant would make half the money their business plan had dictated. The splitting fee is basically in lieu of the profit they expected to get from the extra customer that just sat down and had free rolls and dirtied a couple extra dishes.

Plate splitters are sort of like anti tippers. If you aren't going to order and eat, you shouldn't be going out. Leave the tables for paying customers. If you don't want a $20 entree, order the $8 app as your meal, or cough up $1.50 for the splitting charge. That way you save money and the restaurant gets to stay in business and stay profitable and provide jobs and tax revenue to the local economy. Some of you people are so fucking greedy, or impoverished and entitled - I dont know what's worse. Probably greedy.

This post perfectly illustrates the entitlement I mentioned in
In their mind a certain amount of money is owed to the restaurant and the waiters as soon as you walk in because they'd planned it. It's no surprise that even with people eating out more than ever restaurants still struggle to stay afloat.

But I'm just not going to go to a restaurant that charges me for splitting if I'm going to split. They're only losing the money the would have made for the entree I wanted to split. It's why I brought up piracy - you aren't forcing the people who weren't going to pay in the first place to buy something, you're only driving away the people who would've paid if you weren't being a jew. And it's certainly not entitled to think that if you pay for something, you can give it to someone else. Would you say it's entitled to expect no extra charge when covering someone else's bill?

>be American
>restaurant portions are notoriously massive, to the extent that it's not unusual for a single entree to be in the range of 1500-2000 calories
>go to such a restaurant, pay for such an entree, and share it with a friend so that you don't consume your entire caloric need for the day in one sitting
>restaurant fines you for your audacity
>your fellow Americans come running to defend the restaurant and shame you for daring to have a BMI below 25

What a time to be alive!

I think the best way forward for the industry would be a cover charge to get seated and a per dish cost after that. They could even implement a no singles policy. Oh, and don't ever dare to look any of your servers in the eye and speak unless you're spoken to.

This, but I think that it's less "everyone kisses their asses" and more "society is full of non-confrontational spineless cowards." When was the last time you saw someone actually make a scene about something they didn't like (who wasn't a shitty millennial protester)?

What the fuck Adult splits entrees not designed to be split?

>>your fellow Americans come running to defend the restaurant
If its clearly posted on the menu that that is what they will do, what is there to defend?

Seniors who can't eat as much anymore. My parents do it all the time. I've also seen girls that are dieting do it, too.

If p --> q?

Do you even hear yourself and your conclusions? Go read up on real logic. This is really below average understandings of the issue and poor word choices.

Money is not "owed" when you walk in to the restaurant, though possibly yes to the waiter. No one is forcing you to sit down, after all, if you don't want to pay tips, you'll do takeout or not dine out. But, abuse of normal customer behavior to actual buy food over time can affect a restaurant's bottom line. Walk in at a time that isn't busy and feel free to sit with your paper for 3 hours getting 8 coffee refills and nothing else, and if they love you because they see you often at dinner, they might not blink, but come in night after night, with your coupon, and spend 10% of what other diners spend and tie up that waitresses section *sigh*, you're not just part of the average you can be circumventing the business model.

And, it's up to the restaurant to even enforce their own rules and I'm sure many don't enforce these rules on the menu anyway. But by having the rule there, they are covered if they wish to curb a certain customers order style. No arguments. It was right there on the menu. Arguments over charges for extra sauces can create a scene.

I see he correctly pegged you as a member of the service industry. Who else would respond to being called entitled by saying, "you owe waiters money when you walk into a restaurant"?

>wants to share
Nope. Share all you like. Want separate plating? Pay up. Stop whining, you entitled bitch.

>They're only losing the money the would have made for the entree I wanted to split

No they successfully got a cheap asshole to leave a table open for more paying customers.

Protip, restaurants struggling for patrons don't do this because they are happy to take anyone that will walk in.

If you don't want to eat at good restaurants other people want to eat at, then have fun at McDonalds. I'll be the first to celebrate not having to see your sweat pants and flip flops at the table across the restaurant.

>Would you say it's entitled to expect no extra charge when covering someone else's bill?

I would call it entitled to think you are owed the right to visit a 20 dollar per head restaurant (especially free salad, soup, or bread joints) for 10 bucks, you poor cheap fuck.

Once went to some place that charged disgusting amounts, like 35 bucks for spaghetti, 3 bucks for another plate, all that in the middle of fucking nowhere. We left without ordering anything, fuck that shit

Is that what plate splitting means? How the fuck am I supposed to know that? Whenever I want to "split" something with so.eone, it means we each eat half; why would I even get another plate when they can just eat off mine?

Looks like we found another bitter piece of shit waitstaff.

I'd throw my food in the manager's face if they were too cheap to give an extra plate.

just make up for the lost $1.50 by not tipping.

I think the ad hominem attacks on the user not wanting splitting charges would work a lot more if expensive or classy restaurants actually had them, but I've personally never seen a splitting charge in my entire life, I didn't even know they existed until this thread to be honest. I don't get how not wanting them and avoiding restaurants that pull it as a result is cheap in any way.

You mongs obviously don't know how this works
No one is going to charge you $1.50 for cutting off a peice of your steak for someone else to try
The charge is in regards to splitting a meal portion in half in the kitchen, before it even gets to your table. Requesting to have a portion split throws another wrench into the clusterfuck that is the average kitchen. The $1.50 is a deterrent to keep people from doing this so that the kitchen can operate as efficiently as possible.

>The $1.50 is a deterrent to keep people from doing this so that the kitchen can operate as efficiently as possible.
And to make people buy an entire second meal of course.

I don't know what they're doing in a restaurant if they aren't hungry anyway.

Not him but Ive worked at a restaurant before(a chain of steakhouses) and this rarely ever happens and the restaurant was nearby a major Somalian community.
If some assholes are trying to be jews then tell the manager and if the managers want they can easily tell them to fuck off and never come back if they don't want their service. Don't fucking blame their shit on people who just want to eat light you fucking kike.

>i know nothing about turnover or how restaurants make money

No. That's not what it means.

"Plate splitting" usually means that the kitchen splits only the entree, but adds the same amount of sides to each plate they send out (or it may only be 50% more sides total, but usually there are more sides). You don't get charged if somebody else at the table just eats off your plate.

>Is that what plate splitting means? How the fuck am I supposed to know that? Whenever I want to "split" something with so.eone, it means we each eat half; why would I even get another plate when they can just eat off mine?
The weird thing is you assuming that a restaurant would charge more for the same food and work. If you don't understand what something means, the intelligent person would ask. The stupid person would make up bias-confirming fantasies and assume them to be true.

cuck

>The weird thing is you assuming that a restaurant would charge more for the same food and work.
See Also, do you know what a corking fee is? That's LESS work for the restaurant so I guess you think they'll give you a discount. Retard.

>means that the kitchen splits only the entree, but adds the same amount of sides to each plate

While that might often be true, the actual reason they up-charge is because there are only so many seats in the restaurant, and if not everyone is ordering something for themselves the restaurant is losing money on turnover.

Let me ask you this. How many times have you been in a restaurant and either had them split your plate with someone else, or seen other people at your table do it? Because it's something my parents have begun doing almost every time they go out. They aren't going to buy an entire entree because neither of them are hungry enough to eat that much. They're getting old and don't have the same appetites as they used to or that the normal entree size caters to.

Oh, but you have a counter to this, don't you.
>I couldn't imagine it any other way, therefore nobody could ever want something any other way than my way
Why is it that so many people on this fucking website are so completely incapable of experiencing empathy????

They're not losing money.
They're simply not earning money that they may or may not have earned otherwise.

Charging fines to make up for imaginary potential income is retarded.

>though possibly yes to the waiter

You are part of the reason I now tip 10% for mediocre service.

You sound like one of those assholes who think piracy is justified.

"Loosing money" if 1.50 is going to keep them from closing then it's a matter of time they put a lock on the place

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

District Court Judge Kathleen Williams, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear words.

>imaginary potential income

When the restaurant is full and people are sharing entrees or sitting around for 2 hours after they finish eating, the place is losing money. There's nothing "potential" about that.

That's not the same.

Your whole attitude relies on either them militantly enforcing this policy, which they often don't, or on your parents seeing that notice on the menu and then basing their order on being advised of that. I split food sometimes too, especially while traveling, wtf am going to do with my leftovers in the hotel room, or wtf am I going to do with my leftovers if I'm headed to a concert or won't be home for another 7 hours. I'll also walk away from a full table of food, wasteful, but I might want to try 4 things since I am breezing through.

It's just not black and white, dude. People do all kinds of reasons for what they order in a restaurant. It's not the huge injustice you really make it out to be, because your parents aren't big eaters. You establish a nice rapport with your waitstaff, order 3-4 drinks per person, a couple bottles of wine, you'll be hard pressed to see that $1.50 charge, nor will you care. It's the difference in 1% of the bill now.

>there are only so many seats in the restaurant

There are only so many TABLES in a restraunt. Having one table of two order one entree is the same as one table of one order one entree. The table of two maybe order the cash cows of drinks, but at least they are equal to the table of one.

This is relevant. How many of times does this fee need to take to compensate for a lost pair that won't come back. 5 times? 7 times? That is just one lost visit. But that one visit could be 3 over a year. Let alone social media fallout. The hardest thing about a restraunt is establishing a base. Shit like this will sap that.

WTF are you on about, "militantly"??? You put in a request to the kitchen for the split plate which means extra sides.

>your parents seeing that notice on the menu and then basing their order on being advised of that.
Yes, because they understand what it means, unlike you. Restaurants don't charge you extra to just dump half your food onto another clean plate.

> I split food sometimes too
I strongly suspect that you're lying.

>It's not the huge injustice you really make it out to be
I have literally no idea what you're talking about. Quote where you think I brought up justice.

>You establish a nice rapport with your waitstaff, order 3-4 drinks per person, a couple bottles of wine, you'll be hard pressed to see that $1.50 charge, nor will you care. It's the difference in 1% of the bill now.
Not only don't you understand what you're talking about, you're not listening to someone who is trying to explain it to you.

>District Court Judge Kathleen Williams, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear words.
Because they are deplorable, morally bankrupt, and unjustifiable actions that should be smeared? Smear is the word that is least accurate. It's fact, not a smear. We're not calling illegal aliens by the name alien because of negative connotation, or the world illegal because that means a legality, a law has been broken, but it's THE DEFINITION. Niggardly is a word that has nothing to do with black people, but it's close enough, so let's redefine it as a bad word and remove it from the lexicon too. At some point, you should see that one person, no matter their position as a judge or high acclaim, or the leader of a political party, or the guy on the network news, is simply a person with an opinion. Use your own critical thinking skills. What a stupid analogy that didn't belong in this thread anyway.

This is a nice rant you just had, but when something is wrong it is simply wrong. Sure, the big Disney lawyers of the world are pretty brutal. And, the court wastes a lot of time and money on the 100% prosecution policies for shoplifters that places like Wal-Mart have (I have wasted days out of work on such jury duty cases). Since mean Wal-Mart is simply persecuting the poor people who just need more than they can afford. You can't take your gray morals and ethics about laws and make them stick. I'm not buying any argument against piracy. I'm not even pissed Hep C cures cost $90k. Let the government develop that cure first and sell it at cost and let taxpayers absorb their R&D. Oh, but they didn't.

>split plate which means extra sides.
no, it doesn't mean that. It incurs no extra cost to the restaurant in terms of food.

Fuck off. I've seen it done at DOZENS of different restaurants. It always entails extra sides.

Its a deterrent for mongoloids like you.

Splitting plates in a kitchen throws off workflow, uses extra dishes, and potentially fucks up firing tickets. It also loses the restaurant money in the form of opportunity cost.

Separate/split plating is more than just hacking the steak in half and slapping it on the plate. Every half decent kitchen has specific plating layouts for each dish and having to have a secondary plating for half portions is obnoxious.

TL;DR go fuck yourself you cheap cunt

>I'm not going to address the point about corkage fee because I can't and it undermines the entirety of my argument but I'm just gonna hope you don't notice and keep attacking you.

I noticed.

Not him, but I really feel that the place should just clarify on the point.

"Split plate" is ambiguous and can cause saltiness. But if it is clear that with the split plate includes extra sides then that would prevent any bad feelings.

Why should I bother disproving every single irrelevant point you bring up?

oh no they have to use one extra plate the horror

If they can't accommodate for that they're a shitty place not worth eating at to begin with

>irrelevant
>concept of the restaurant charging more for less work is somehow irrelevant to a thread about what is allegedly the restaurant charging more for more work

neck yourself, fucking asswipe; you're a real fucking piece of shit

Restaurants everywhere else seem to work in complete opposition to how you purport it does. Literally every place I had lunch and dinner at in Italy wouldn't even think to give us the check until we asked for it, they'd just let us talk there forever. Service charge was 2$ a person at most, sometimes not even there.

The American restaurant business is quite fucked up.

>that cherrypicking

if the plate sharing fee keeps autismos like you from eating at places I work then thats just one more excellent reason to have it, faggot

The fact that you think it's relevant and you're getting SO emotional and worked up when I say it isn't just tells me that you have failed to read my posts or comprehend the concept of plate splitting, preferring instead to believe the fantasy explanation that you've imagined for yourself.

>We left without ordering anything

Good. This is the correct thing for poor people to do. Fuck off.

If you're in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a forest, you should be thankful anybody's stopping by at all. Bet that shithole's out of business by now, too.

IF, AS YOU HAVE STATED, PLATE SPLITTING IS "MORE WORK" THAT THE RESTAURANT HAS DECIDED TO CHARGE AN ADDITIONAL FEE FOR, WHY DOES THE CONCEPT OF A CORKAGE FEE EXIST WHEN IT IS LESS WORK FOR THE RESTAURANT?

ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION YOU PATHETIC SUBHUMAN RETARD

They're different concepts. Stop trying to force this analogy when it is not appropriate.

Compensation for work done is not multiple concepts.

When you have read and understood what I said earlier in the thread about plate splitting, feel free to reply to me and I'll treat you like an adult. Barring that, you can go pound pavement.

Because if you want to bring your own wine into the restaurant it is an opportunity cost.

It is also LITERALLY the same amount of work because the server still corks and pours the wine.

This is only if the establishment even ALLOWS you to bring outside food/drink, which is a privilege and not something you are owed, you insolent child.

>willingly pays more for less
>unusual focus on "pounding pavement"

What's it like being an unironic bootlicker?

>WHY DOES THE CONCEPT OF A CORKAGE FEE EXIST WHEN IT IS LESS WORK FOR THE RESTAURANT?
Woah, stop screaming.

A corkage fee might include bringing out an ice bucket, a waiter uncorking it, a set of multiple wine glasses for the table, a waiter coming over and topping off glasses, etc. It's usually a pretty minimal fee, and it something like the usual markup of the wine cost you'd have paid by buying their wine minus your own cost.

Why bring your own wine? You're a wine snob, you brought a bottle you want your companions to try, you visited that winery on your last vacation, you own that winery, you have obscure tastes like you only drink sweet wines or reislings, you're a foreigner and you can't buy that wine here, special reserve ice wine or dessert wine, etc. Or hey, maybe you saved that exact bottle of champage for your celebratory dinner or anniversary No one is bringing Gallo or 4 buck chuck and paying the corkage fee. If they didn't charge something, people would indeed bring a bunch of crap.

I love the BYOB restaurants that can't yet afford any kind of liquor license. I have seen people bringing their battery operated margarita blenders (stretch extension cords) and whirling up high pitched ice grinding loud noise in mexican restaurants, not just coolers of beer discreetly under the table.

>bringing my own wine is an opportunity cost

??????

>literally the same amount of work

they don't have to go get the wine, they don't even have to fucking uncork it if I've already opened it before we sit down

what the fuck is your goddamn problem? What do you get out of being a shit-licking restaurant brown-noser on this website, of all places?

>pays more for less
>being this delusional

You just want to be outraged regardless of the facts. Why do you think anyone would want to reply to you when you are being so irrational and urneasonable?

Yes, bringing your own wine is an opportunity cost to the restaurant because you would, in other cases, purchase a bottle of wine.

If you've uncorked the wine that is up to you. Do you request a discount when you purchase a bottle of wine at a restaurant if you choose to uncork it yourself? Of course not.

>b-but that's not how things are in my village!

>The restaurant is getting paid the same whether I split the food or not.
No they aren't. The alternatives to you splitting the food are as follows: either you and your party don't eat there, or you each order your own food.

>what the fuck is your goddamn problem? What do you get out of being a shit-licking restaurant brown-noser on this website, of all places?
I think you must be a little liquored up now. Maybe you shouldn't be on the website at the moment or at all. Who am I brown-nosing to? And, what kind of judgement are you making of this fine website? Your rage is a little out of control. It is certainly past the point of logic.

Yes, it's the same amount of work for them, only you didn't buy any wine from them for their work. Are you really arguing that you can bring your own corkscrew and it should be free then? How about if they simply not allow you to bring in outside beverages since you are a cheapass, and you can go without it entirely, neither buying from them or bringing your own.

t. Someone whose never worked in service industry

I work in Customer Service (Hotels). I can assure you, people are plenty damn confrontational. The world is full of assholes who will complain about anything in order to get free shit just because they can. If anything, the customer gets too MUCH leeway.

That being said, that policy is stupid shit, but I get exactly why - either their prices are too high as it is so people try to jew them via splitting, or, they live in an area with a lot of elderly/jews/black people, who are all cheap as possible.

Also see

with vidya, the pirate costs them absolutely nothing
with restaurants, the pirate costs them table space and waiter time
a flat cover charge would be more autistically correct, but tbqh not everyone is autistic senpai

>They're not losing money.
>They're simply not earning money that they may or may not have earned otherwise.
>Charging fines to make up for imaginary potential income is retarded.

Funny because this is how every corporation in America works

>I love the BYOB restaurants that can't yet afford any kind of liquor license. I have seen people bringing their battery operated margarita blenders (stretch extension cords) and whirling up high pitched ice grinding loud noise in mexican restaurants, not just coolers of beer discreetly under the table.
As annoying as that shit is I find it kind of comfy desu

Makes it feel like a real community place

I chuckled at this.
But seriously my ex and i used to do this. We should share a meal because of how much they serve and thankfully never had a fee for it. We left some tip money and nobody minded. But seriously a splitting fee?

>no singles policy
First they took my kinoplex.
Now going after my foodtorium!
That tears it!

No i should reaffirm we would share a plate of one order not extra sides.

why the fuck does it matter what table space im using?
if four people sit down( 2 couples) and each 2 people share a plate why does it matter?
like are you fucking eating with other people that were not with your group at your table?
>sorry sirs but your mams must leave they are taking up space that other guests could be using at your table
ITT: Thats what you sound like faggot

That's not what a plate splitting fee is.

Deduct from tip. Problem solved.

>Makes it feel like a real community place
Agreed. I'm sure many a place likes that the beverages are someone else's responsibility.

"So what kind of craft beers do you have on tap? Oh you don't have my favorite?"

Industry Shills

table space is a limited resource, and is usually more expensive than either the food or the waiter time but not both combined.
if you don't like it being so because you can normally get away with it, well, be happy they're not just charging you $10 at the door with $5 entrees instead, that's more accurate to the business side of running a restaurant

>Industry Shills
I don't work in a service industry in any capacity.

>Americans
>running

Larry?

It astonishes me that the cooking board is the one that should never ever be taken out to eat. Y'all fuckers need chin-chin.

>American restaurant
>Cheddar, Swiss or Feta all made in a chinese factory
Come on guys, why are you even trying