Is there a bigger meme food on the planet than soft shell crab?

is there a bigger meme food on the planet than soft shell crab?

>crabs are tasty as fuck food
>normally have to spend several minutes taking the fucks apart for only a bit of meat
>but wait, a whole season exists where you can fry the fuckers whole (after some cleaning)
>Crispy and delicious with no work

So why are they bad? I get being butthurt about the $13 spider roll at every sushi place ever but eating them where they're caught is awesome.

>literal shell on them

am i supposed to eat it or spit it out? i don't like having a mouth full of kinda soft plastic

they've molted and there's barely a shell, frying makes it melt basically

You eat it. That's generally why they are fried, it makes most of the "shell" crunchy, esp. the legs.

If you wouldn't eat pic related there's something wrong with you.

they are great until you get to that bitter goopy spot of all the guts in the middle

>meme food

Since that has no meaning, I'll ignore it. Soft shell crab is only available for a fairly short period of time and as far as I know is exclusively fried. It's considered as something unique to eat once per season, but quite frankly like any heavily breaded fried foods you feel a little sick after eating it. Also, the flavor of the crab itself never seems to come through as much as when it's in the hardshell stage. I certainly don't want it more than once/year and I like blue crab (which is the kind I've had) better in the hardshell stage. Much more versatile.

Aren't you eating the crab's poop too?

I hope that shit's been properly cleaned out.

No, before frying they take a hose and stick the nozzle up the crabs pooper.

there are bigger meme foods:
pho
poke
bahn mi
bacon
brisket
tacos

>poke
Is this even a meme food outside of Cali? It can't be easy to sell that much tuna inland.

>
>>poke
>Is this even a meme food outside of Cali? It can't be easy to sell that much tuna inland.
I live in coastal Florida, in a place that has terrific fresh seafood restaurants and chef-proprietor places (ie mom and pop) and I'm starting to see it pop on half the menus :/ It's a thing. And, it's a stupid thing, hahah. Real hawaiian food is pretty over rated, has that bland thing going on, overuse of soy (kind of like peru's national dishes). Go to a real luau and you'd pick Caribbean food cookout any day over their kalua pig, poi, lomi salmon...and certainly the hot plate or the spam musubi. Munching on some cuttlefish snacks. Dear lord, hawaiian food is isolation-island poverty food dreadful.

Ceviche > poke

I live in Memphis and there's a poke place that's pretty popular.

There's no way you could get me to eat raw fish that's like a week away from the ocean.

>pho
Pho isnt even fucking good, I don't understand how it got hyped.
bahn mi is okay but i'd rather have a cold cut sub.

>bahn mi
>bacon
those are good tho

Tfw there's something wrong with me

>enjoy your spider sandwich, sir

D-do crabs actually... HAVE a pooper?

Don't forget a new one, 'ghost pepper sauce'. That and bacon/jalapeƱo combos on fries and shit

>bacon
>tacos
Those are fucking staple foods in a lot of places man.

crabs are all pooper inside.
>also uni is the testicles of the sea urchin

>pho
What's a meme about this? It's just noodle soup, right?

I live inland as fuck in Toronto and poke is the meme of the summer here. There's a new poke wrap/bowl place opening every fuckin weekend here.

People pretend that it's good to seem cultured when it's actually just watery crap

Is there suddenly a craze for softshell crab that came out of nowhere, or did you just become aware of this common but seasonal and regional dish?

If spiders could be similarly prepared I'd eat them. If they tasted like that, I'd eat them all the time.
>mfw faggots like you are going to have a rude awakening when climate change destroys our agricultural system and we'll need to eat bugs

>bahn mi
I literally have never seen it outside of actual Vietnamese places

Same in NYC.

I like it

Thats not even a meme. Avacado is the worst offender I can think of (theyre good but not $3 a fruit good) but theres siracha and/or bacon too. Also any shit beer a microbrewery salvages with bourbon barrels.

I live in Mn and avocados are 2 for $1. Where/who in the fuck is paying that much?

Everything you listed there is amazing if done right, there is nothing meme about them other than people putting bacon on everything.

Right? When the fuck did brisket become a meme food. I browse Veeky Forums often and have no idea what the fuck he is on about

>meme

Shut the fuck up. I'm so fucking sick of seeing that word. Also, people have been eating soft shell crab for millenia, so NO, IT'S NOT A MEME.

>I live in Mn and avocados are 2 for $1.

This, I do not understand. I live just outside Memphis which is a helluva lot closer to Mexico and they haven't been under $1.00 each for a year even at the large international market. Shit makes no sense whatsoever.

I will say before this user i couldnt justify buying them in store for personal use, and i 86'd them at my restaurant. Case of 50 was around $43, skyrocketed up to around $2.50 per. Was not going to cover my costs by upping the menu price fucking 40% for a sandwich, ala carte etc.

My postwasnt finished.
They are currently $1 each or the two for $1 i had mentioned when they get close to over ripe.

I wouldnt because thats shitty poboy bread. Try better next time faggot

They're great in burgers

It's not bad but I had a bad experience eating it. I had some with my parents on a rare afternoon in college. They asked how my friends were and I mentioned that my best friends mom died a few days earlier, which was true. My dad got really upset and punched a hole in the wall yelling 'it's not fair, it's not fair' as he had lost his dad in college.
> mfw I associate softshell crabs with death, suicide and domestic violence

>bahn mi

I'm not really a mod around here so I can't, but I'd certainly love to after this stunning shitpost.

They do taste like that.

I live in a hipster metro city and I see it at white people food trucks all the time.

>Pizza Bahn Mi
>Sriracha Tempeh Bahn Mi
>Gluten Free Vegan Bahn Mi

They always charge a minimum of $9 for them, even though they use tiny ass rolls and hardly fill them. The dirty vietnamese hole in the wall sells them for $3.50 and they're fucking huge and delicious.

Cheese and leaves pizza

Where do you live?

Fuck you dude.
Hawaiian food is god tier comfort foods