Lets talk hamburgers. I've experimented over the years with different toppings and condiments...

Lets talk hamburgers. I've experimented over the years with different toppings and condiments, but now in my burger eating life I've come to the conclusion that the best burger is simply salt and pepper seasoned, with a toasted bun, slice of cheese, and ketchup and mustard. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/hC8Ee?gallery
youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

minus the ketchup and mustard and you have something worth eating.

ketchup and mustard add fucking nothing to it.

bread, burger, cheese. cheese is optional.

get real.

Even if that were the actual best burger you forgot the pickled onions, man. Shame.

Also-are we talking a slice of cheese, or a slice of cheese product? You're wrong either way, but an important distinction nonetheless.

Pickles are not good for the beef burger. Pickles are the most overpowering food short of sardines, you can't taste anything other than pickle

>eating meat.

If you want to get beyond the level of fast food and cook out burgers stop thinking about toppings and focus on the meat itself. Stop buying supermarket meat and find a butcher. Now you don't have to eat burgers made from ground chuck (and most likely pink slime) anymore. Try a blend of Flatiron, brisket and short rib. You're gonna very quickly stop giving much of a fuck about toppings.

> pickled onions

hipster faggotry

basic faggotry

I've lived in places such as Texas, Kansas city, and Nebraska which I've at least heard have great beef quality and top notch burgers, but the best burger I've ever had may have been in Europe. I tried one topped with grilled goat cheese and I'm convinced thats the pinnacle of burger toppings

fucking DISGUSTING

>> pickled onions
>hipster faggotry
kys yourself my man

i like my burgers with the following ingredients, rate me:

>100% black angus grass-fed beef
>fresh cracked white pepper
>carolina reaper sauce + mayo
>romaine lettuce
>fried egg over easy
>burger is soaked in bourbon
>shaved black truffles
>heirloom tomato slices, quarter inch thick
>homemade dill pickles
>sauteed portabella mushrooms cooked in a merlot sauce
>bleu cheese
>havarti cheese
>thin slice of swiss cheese
>another patty
>almond butter
>butter
>fat strips of bacon
>another egg
>grilled white onions
>two thin slices of smoked nova salmon
>white & black sesame seed bun with dried onions baked in

Costs about $25 at my local burger joint, they even named the burger after me and put it as a secret item on their menu (local only of course)

no, fuck you. you think you're smart and clever but you're fucking not. stop trying to 'add' shit to improve shit that wasn't broken. stop being a desperate consumerist piece of fucking shit who is eternally dissatisfied. stop fucking living if you can't do that. jesus fucking christ you need to stop.

idiotic, tasteless cretin.

If you're using pre-made ketchups that are basically sweet tomato jams, I'll disagree. If you can find pic related, use that instead of ketchup. It has half the sugar, and more spices, it's closer to what original tomato ketchups were like. Also I like lettuce and onion on it for some crunch. Got to have at least the onion, onion and beef goes well together.

Also I like to use lean ground beef and use mayo on the buns too. Not sure why, I just prefer it to having fattier ground beef.

>Pretzel bun
>Thin patties
>sharp cheddar
>horseradish mustard

That's how I like mine anyways.

fucking kill yourself

>stop trying to 'add' shit to improve shit that wasn't broken.
Why would you tell anyone to stop messing around with cuisine like that? That's how fucking careers are made. Maybe you'd like everything to taste like whatever foods your grandfather covered in ketchup or gravy, but the rest of us are happy to move on from that shit.

Got one :)

imgur.com/a/hC8Ee?gallery

35 solid burgers, you're welcome

That's clearly bbq sauce

Burger only seasoned with salt and pepper. Cheese, bacon and a low-sugar BBQ sauce, preferably homemade. That's all you need.

>Why would you tell anyone to stop messing around with cuisine like that? That's how fucking careers are made.

no. wrong. it's not. i'm the one against ketchup. not you.

sounds good

ok
Yeah but it has less sugar and smoke flavoring than others, and more spices, just like you'd find in old ketchup recipes.

>>>reddit

r8 my burger

Why are there so many seeds on that bun

Mustard, pickle and onion is the best burger
Maybe add some bacon or cheese too

That cow is basically still breathing kek

they're good for you

What's that game in the background?

dorf fortress
btw the burger consists of
>a bun
>4 beef patties
>300 g of cheddar, melted
>16 slices of bacon
>4 slices of tomato
>rocket
>tomato-onion-anise chutney
all homemade except for the bun
pic related

>16 slices of bacon
holy fuck dude

How in the fuck could anyone appreciate all those flavors at once? Fuck off, troll.

>pink slime
Do you even know what you're talking about?

>tile set

casual

stale pasta fuck off

patty:
>minced beef
>pepper
>salt
>crushed smoked garlic
>wholegrain mustard

fry in pan, steam with lid on pan, chipotle butter halfway through

brioche bun, toasted. lettuce, tomato, sumac red onions

mayo

>tfw to this day my mom smashes the patties with the spatula as the cook for no apparent reason many times through out cooking
>she always insists on cooking the burgers at get togethers even if I offer
>never once a juicy burger

This drives me up the fucking wall but I just don't have it in me to yell at my mom for cooking like a doofus

1/2 pound grass-fed beef patty
Thick cut bacon
Caramelized onions
Bleu Cheese

That's all you need.

You don't even need the bacon.

>Bleu

i add mustard on each patty before flipping and prefer homemade mayo over ketchup/mustard

Your uncle touched your Weiner/10

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

I am of course talking about the iconic Big Mac™ from McDonald's®. This sandwich packs a punch of flavor day or night. There really is nothing quite like it on the market. I had one just today, and let me tell you friend, it's just as good as the first time I ever had it. Throw in a side of hot fries and an ice cold Coca-Cola for a meal that satisfies like no other. And did I mention it was less than $7? If you're craving a great sandwich, the Big Mac will never let you down.

>get real
Fuck off, you faggot

Oh dear... It was looking so promising until that.

i can't support that many toppings but thank you for cooking 4 good sized patties instead of 2 or three thick, disgusting patties

You sound like a toddler. Ketchup I disagree with, but mustard adds acidic tang due to vinegar, which in pretty much every world cuisine is a rule to pair acid with savory. Fish with lemon juice, pork with citrus, beef with a vinaigrette, etc.

I just go to in n out down the street

hamburger should be cooked through as it's made from minced beef meaning the interior can harbour bacteria

If you grind your own meat, there's no worries.

So after reading this thread I went out and brought my ingredients. Now i'm wondering how to best cook the burger? I only have a grill, stove and oven and watched Gordon Ramsey do it for a few minutes on the stove then in the oven. Is this the best way? noob here, obv

It's going to come down to grill vs. stovetop. Both produce good results, it's a matter of personal preferance as to which you prefer.

Using a pan on the stovetop will produce a nice crust on the patty. The grill will have that smoky "grilled" flavor.

There's no need to bother with the oven. It is a common thing for busy restaurant kitchens to start food in a pan and then transfer it to the oven to finish cooking, but the main reason for that that you always need more space on the rangetop in a restaurant. For home cooking that's not really a concern. And burgers are thin enough that you can easily and quickly cook them in the pan.

I'm a big fan of this method. Just use a frying pan instead of the flattop.
youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw

I can see cooking a steak that way... If you can't just pan sear a burger you kinda suck dick. He's applying his "michilin tire star" chef techniques to a dish that doesn't require it.

You're a darling

nice meatball sub

this is a sacred recipe i can only make once every so often because the ingredients are so hard to get around here

in order:
>the bottom bun is the bottom of one of those black buns from Burger King (if I can't find any I'll make my own)
>next up is a tablespoon of mayo. don't spread it around. just a dollop.
>mix together a combination of pulverized weißwurst (hot) and raw, minced rainbow trout
>put the mix in the form of a patty about 1-inch thick on the dollop
>sweet relish on top of that. you can spread it, but for authenticity i suggest you just dollop it.
>the precum from a ketchup squeeze
>guacamole dorioto (just one)
>top bun, being a King's Hawaiian top bun

grill that shit on a charcoal grill until medium rare, then do the following:

>wrap in a tamale husk
>pour 4 cups of a 3:1 combination of PBR and Lunchables nacho cheese sauce on top
>top with Kraft Bacon Bits
>also top with dried chives

i haven't come up with a name for it yet, but it's definitely worth indulging in every so often

>1/3 pound 70/30 beef
>salt
>pepper
>minced onions
>cumin
>worschestire sauce
mix that shit up for the patty
>pub bun toasted with butter
>chipotle mayo
>avacado slices
>thin sliced red onion
>small leaf of romaine
>thick cut bacon
>thin slice of pepperjack cheese
my favorite anyways always better on the grill but stuck in shit apt. with no grill so cast iron and butter

>Rueben burgers
>Cuban burgers
Lol wtf

>YOU LIKE KETCHUP IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR BURGERS PLAIN LIKE ME

shut up, faggot. take your cock sucking homosexual ways and flaunt them somewhere else. just because you can't eat something without making it taste like fucking candy doesn't mean other people can't. why don't you go to a fucking flyover buffet or a chinese takeout place if you want to ruin fucking everything you eat with a bunch of hipster faggot 'toppings' like a fucking american slop pig.

not here. fuck off.

>candy

Mustard doesn't generally have added sugar

wow gee look at that! a ruined, shitty burger on Veeky Forums! don't see that every day!

actually you see this pedantic, amateur shit that some faggot must have dreamt up every fucking day in here. makes me sick. you're all so pathetic. you couldn't cook a box of fucking kraft macaroni an cheese.

seriously, just stick to mcdonalds for your burgers. you can't do it better than them. you're not competent enough to.

I disagree on the oven thing, it's a good way to salvage an improperly cooked burger, if you overcook it on the outside, rather than burning it to shit, throw it in the oven and let it cook all the way through

>Mustard
>Candy
what weird candies are you eating?

You could just lower the heat on the pan and achieve the same thing.

In fact, that would be much simpler in the context of salvaging a fuckup anyway. If you weren't expecting to use the oven then it wouldn't be pre-heated and thus would entail a long delay in this case.

i like your style

Ever since Boulud put his foie gras and short rib burger up 15 years ago the overpriced chef burger with assorted wacky toppings has become a totally played out thing at plenty of good restaurants, often going for more than $25.

American mustard tastes like fucking candy.

For my patties, I use

>2 parts ground chuck to 1 part ground pork
>minced onion
>Worcestershire sauce
>Salt and pepper

There's a good bakery nearby and I either use their slider buns or a brioche with some homemade ketchup and mayo. Depending on my mood I'll saute some onions and mushrooms in a pan. Haven't tried them with bacon yet, since the patties are 1/3rd pork anyways I didn't think they needed it.

You're mentally defective or just an obvious troll.

Look up pedantic in the dictionary plZ

>lower the heat on the pan
Depending on the pan you're cooking in this won't work though. And we're obviously assuming that the oven is preheated for this.

I admit to some hyperbole, but seriously: most American "Yellow Mustard" tastes incredibly sweet if you are used to eating British, Chinese, or German mustards.

It's just mustard seeds and vinegar

I agree but that's not because there's any added sugar.

>yellow mustard
Why the fuck are you eating that shit over actual mustard? You are the retard here for choosing to eat that not the collective USA

Lol, read the labels. A lot of them have added sugar, various flavorings, etc. Turmeric (for color) is a common additive.

Also, there's a matter of what type of mustard seeds are used. Some are milder than others. Lumping all mustard seeds together is as silly as thinking a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious apple taste the same.

Ingredients: Vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, paprika, spice, natural flavours and garlic powder.

Straight from my French's mustard I had in the fridge. It's going to have a different taste because it's not a "hot" mustard, but it's nowhere near sweet or like "candy".

It's the turmeric that gives it the garish color. Turmeric is a sweet spice.

>I agree but that's not because there's any added sugar.

Nobody claimed there was. Only that the resultant taste was relatively sweet.

>Why the fuck are you eating that shit over actual mustard?
I'm not. I don't like it because it tastes sweet, and I like really strong mustard.

>>not the collective USA
I'm sure there are some people, like me, who don't eat it. But the big brands (which probably outsell the good stuff 20:1) like French's, Heinz, and "store brands" are pretty sweet, so I think it's a fair generalization to make.

Has anyone tried putting jam on their burgers? When I first heard about it I was a bit shocked but I think it might taste good.

Store brands tend to have several types of mustard, and even French's and Heinz have different types including dijon and spicy brow. You have no excuse except for the fact that you bought a shitty type of mustard you dislike

>Store brands tend to have several types of mustard, and even French's and Heinz have different types including dijon and spicy brow.

Yes. I'm not sure what your point is. I was simply making a generalaization that stereotypical "American Mustard" is sweet relative to mustards from other countries.

>>You have no excuse except for the fact that you bought a shitty type of mustard you dislike
Agreed 100%.

But we're not talking about my or your preference in mustards. The point is that stereotypical American mustard is generally sweet. Of course there are plenty of alternatives but that has nothing to do with the main point.

I like a vegetable or 2, I'll do pickle, onion (raw or cooked), or a tomato if they're in season.

Your set up is pretty in line with my taste too though OP.

>stereotypical american mustard
This is what I think of though, and a variation of it is what you'll get if your order mustard at a deli or restaurant. I never even see yellow mustard outside of ballparks and hotdog stands

You ought to realize that's not stereotypical American mustard.

Pic related is.

>>I never even see yellow mustard outside of ballparks and hotdog stands
You never visit the supermarket? Look how much shelf space is devoted to pic related compared to Gulden's.

ya sounds breddy gud m8. no need for bacon unless you're just indulging for the fuck of it. i'm already overspending making burgers like that you enjoy the pork infused patties for me

I'm a goddamned burger heretic.
>buy ground beef, season it and form it into patties to freeze
>fry them up in butter
>put some shredded cheese and a bit of salt on them, put them on buns
>cut them with a fork and knife, bun included, and dip them in a steak/bbq sauce

you're just a nigger.