Winds of Winter

Is anybody else not so much worried the fat man will die before he finishes the series, but that YOU will die before he does? I'm pushing 40, and decades of debauchery are catching up to me in a big way.

At this point, I don't give a single fuck about ADOS. Just give me Winds, fatso. I've heard speculation that it's done but they're holding it for whatever reason. Anyone else heard this shit, or is it just wishful thinking by delusional fans?

And for the trolls who have never read the books (aka 95% of posters who say they suck), fuck off. Go back to pretending you've read Blood Meridian or Crime and Punishment on a thread where people might actually believe you, dickheads.

The books suck
Read Martin's short stories instead, 'The Sand Kings' is pretty neat

I read one a long time ago called The Meatman or Meathouse Man or some shit where people could control reanimated corpses and fight them against other 'controllers' in front of huge arena audiences. I think they also had reanimated dead hookers and the main corpse-fighter guy fell in love with one or something?

Crazy shit, and if nothing else it was original as fuck at the time. I think it was in some 'splatterpunk' anthology next to guys like Jack Ketchum and Richard Laymon, and it was at least a decade before zombies became as big thing with Brooks' WWZ book and the Dawn remake and 21 Days Later shit.

That said, the ASOIF books aren't 'shit', and the vast majority of people who say they are have never read the books and are basing their opinion on a television show and an addiction to (You)s.

>they're holding it for whatever reason
the only reason would be if it's a train wreck that needs severe rewriting. otherwise, why wait to rake in millions of dollars? publishing is a business.

I lost a lot of investment in the story after ASOS. I guess I still want an ending but I'm not really desperate. I'll probably just laugh if the fat man dies before he can finish it.

I think GRRM is too lazy now

He coauthored the show which deviated from the books. So he has two.stories to write essentially.

The books are slow, has shit prose, and relies on cliffhangers. So pretty much a Soap with swords. Only cool part is the origins, the children of the Forest and the early Valyrians.

>why wait to rake in millions of dollars?

Exactly my point. They wouldn't.

Even if it were a heaping pile of shit (which I highly doubt after the Aeron and Mercy chapters, the Battle of Winterfell looming, and Brienne leading Jamie to Lady Stoneheart), idiots who are invested in the series are going to keep it on the bestseller lists for a solid year. No point holding it back because it sucks, because it will likely break sales records regardless of how good it is.

Don't worry. if he dies before finishing it, Kevin J Anderson will find his notes and will churn out eleven four-inch-thick walls of text about giant robot battles.

The last two books were incredibly long-winded and boring.

plus there were way to many simultaneous stories and a wave of unnecessary characters

I think the pressure is too much for him, he hasn't put out a book in 6 years.
that means he hasn't put out a book since the show started, and became a huge phenomenon.
He's probably nervous as shit.

Reek chapters were GOAT, and I looked at the last two like I looked at the first two. AGOT and ACOK both set up a masterpiece in Storm. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'd like to think that Winds will follow suit as a climax to Feast and Dance.

And honestly, user, they weren't that fucking bad. Gurmfags like to pretend everything he writes is biblical, but that's likely because they don't read anything else. I think that their naivity and misguided arrogance may be souring you on what are, at the very least, some above-average books.

Couldn't care less about GRRM's fan fiction at this point. The story will be ended next year by D&D.

>read the books when they werent popular
>wait years for Feast for Crows to come out
>run out to borders to buy it the day it comes out
>its the shittest trash ive ever read
>dropped the series

How do fans of the show give this shit a pass? I know they changed the narrative but the same garbage is in there.

I loved the Dorne chapters. Something about the sultry setting metaphorically got my dick going. It's a shame the show ruined it like they did with everything else. I should've done what my mate did - he stopped watching the show a couple seasons ago when it became clear it'd drift into TWoW territory.

There are a lot of shows where the heavy work to get you involved is done in early seasons, and later seasons get a pass because everyone is already invested.

It's a lot easier for this to happen with a tv show than with a book. They are shorter, easier to consume and you can put a face and voice to characters.

I don't think this is the case for me, as I've liked every season of GoT, even the last one though the quality has definitely gone down, but I've noticed it with a ton of shows.
>pretending you've read Blood Meridian

feast and dance weren't bad, but there was too much filler along with structural problems. the whole geographic split/timestream link-up was a clear sign of the story bursting at its seams.

if you chopped those books down by 40% (including getting rid of unnecessary viewpoint characters), and combined them into one book, it would be a very good book. it would STILL be kind of slow-paced, but taking a break after storm would've been fine.

i read all of these in high school. it's still somewhat crazy to me how into them i was. i remember completely ignoring class for an entire day while i blew through the second half of ASOS, totally engrossed in the plot.

but at this point i want him to die before he finishes writing it because i'd get way more enjoyment out of that than actually reading this bloated story. AFFC and ADWD were so bad and the constant delays to TWOW shows he really doesnt know what he's doing.

worldbuilding was a mistake

Same, I graduated after Dance and finished the thing in like a month and it's been almost 6 years since then
Fucking GRRM dude
Took him 2 years between the first 3 books and then 5 between Swords and Feast and 6 between Feast and Dance
Dude has a terrible work ethic and the popularity of the books is probably giving him 0 deadlines

feast and dance are objectively worse since gurm killed off his best pov character

I've not read the books but only seen the tv-series, are there even any major reason why he have to finish the books?

Doesn't really seem like they're the type of books that need an ending but rather the idea is the never ending fight for power and the throne?

Seems alot of people are worrying about him not finishing them, why?

>to not read bad books you have to not read bad books
Thanks Cuckenhauer, really activated my nuts.

Who would that be?

>I've liked every season of GoT, even the last one though the quality has definitely gone down

It's more like it switched genres. It used to be more about political intrigue, now it's more of an action/adventure type of thing.

>Expecting anything from a generic saga writer.

which major pov was killed off the book before feast
its not very hard to figure out user

Fuck me, it's been a while. Catelyn Stark? I don't know about that.

It would be cool if he could deliver at least one book every two years, honestly I dont know why he takes so long to write such a small book. Im currently reading AFOC and I can only imagine what must be for you to wait so many years for a book, the most similar thing to me is right now the kingkiller chronicles of Rothfuss,

dont know about what?

>reading that shit

I'm sorry but this is a board for literature not shiterature.

apologise right fucking now

>Doesn't really seem like they're the type of books that need an ending but rather the idea is the never ending fight for power and the throne?
>Seems alot of people are worrying about him not finishing them, why?

Because there is a overarching fantasy mystery plot going on in the books.

All good stories have a start, a middle, and an end.

People are worried about him not finishing it because 1. he has no material incentive to finish it since the HBO series already made him six million dollars 2. the series is crumbling under its own weight and suspension of disbelief is wearing thin, and 3. he very likely doesn't have much longer to live in this world.

>suspension of disbelief
but muh realism

>suspension of disbelief is wearing thin

Explain. I only watched the first series.

As much as I like ASOIAF I don't like the annoying Harry Potter fan bandwagoners who have decided to latch onto the series just because the show made them popular.

Could you really expect any better behaviour from fans of one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series' only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it's certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Every time I think that I've hit rock bottom in man-child-itude, I look back to the Harry Potter fandom freaks who are pushing 30 and still think the series makes relevant philosophical/sociopolitical statements, and I just laugh and laugh and laugh.

>And for the trolls who have never read the books (aka 95% of posters who say they suck), fuck off. Go back to pretending you've read Blood Meridian or Crime and Punishment on a thread where people might actually believe you, dickheads.

This thread gon be good

Which version of the Song of Ice and Fire is the official Canon? The show has utterly altered stuff from the books that plots are unrecognizable from them. Brienne of Tarth still running about? Does even GRRM know how to resolve these holes?

>he reads childrens' books

>Mahabharata
It's shit m8, read it in HS and reread it in college for a class. Absolute shit.

Who got lazier, George R. R. Martin or Kentaro Miura?

I'm already accepting the fact that I will never read the ending to either ASOIAF or Berserk.

>swinging your hammer backwards

By the time those niggers finish swinging they'll be too close to hit each other well. Good job, faggot.

i mean it doesnt necessarily have to be depicting the fatal blow

S6 > S5, no?