Is at-home beer brewing Veeky Forums?

is at-home beer brewing Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

shuggo.com/birdwatchers/calculator.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't see why not. We're always talking about booze here. It would be interesting.

been thinking about giving it a go, but I need to save some bucks for the initial investment in equipment.

I've only seen homebrewing threads on Veeky Forums and /diy/ and /diy/ is slow moving as fuck, so I demand Veeky Forums be home to homebrewing threads.

Anyone ever use cryo hops before? We just got them at the shop. I had a pale ale in primary and decided "fuck it" and bought two ounces of citra cryo hops and threw them in to dry hop. The hops were a mixture of pellets and powder and the packaging said to use about half as much as you would use with normal hops.

This was a pretty regular thing on Veeky Forums back in the day, with the Lord of Brewing, tepache, leading the way. I miss those old days.

Right now I've got a cherry wine going, and three meads, one of which I've added some kick to by adding Youpon leaves to give it a light vegetal "tea" flavor, while adding caffeine. Ive got two barrels of my honeyjack aging in casks and boy howdy can I not wait for the five year mark for them. Two years innnnn.... The cherry wine is a consistent favorite and I love that shit to death. Mead is just a "got a hive and time" thing. Not quite sick of it yet but it does get overwhelming.

I generally stick away from beers though; I don't grow wheat or oats or whatever out here... And not a huge fan of the concept of bitter.

Though! I've had a sorghum semi-beer done before. Wasn't terrible; made it with sorghum syrup and sorghum flour, distilled it and it turned into a ...kinda like rum? Wasn't bad, wasn't great, might try it again in the future. Before it was distilled it had a rich, strong molasses flavor, and the abv of a barleywine. It tasted "warm". Like it'd be a good winter beverage. Hrm, might try again this fall. mite b gud

I'm about to move into a new place this Friday, but after that I might try my hand at ghetto wine again. You know, that method where you don't buy any equipment and ferment some store-bought fruit juice in the bottle it came in. Last time it came out sweet as fuck, but strong. I added white sugar as the recipe I found suggested, but I think it was entirely too much. I like my wine dry. I mean, it's gonna be swill regardless but hey.

Hey man if you get 100% juice it doesn't hafta be swill; just take care of it. That's how I make my cherry wine. Easier than finding a goddamn cherry tree out here. If it's a good juice and you use a good yeast, it is literally the same as brewing wine of any variety.

Who can stand home brewers? You're all garage brewing assholes that love their beards and their yeast nutrients. Never had a more unfounded contempt for a group of people like I do for home brewing 'people'.

That's reassuring, I'll try to do better this time. I used a juice blend I bought from Trader Joe's, organic and all that shit with some pectin in the bottom. The bottle said blackberry juice, but it seems from the ingredients list they padded it out with white grape and apple juice. Understandable with blackberries.

>yeast nutrients

It's almost as if the entire concept of fermentation is based around keeping yeast alive.

I feel like of all the hipsters to have around, Garage Brewers would be the most tolerable. Their hobby is quiet, takes place in doors, and unless you're at a dinner party you don't really have to hear about it. And when you do, there's beer on hand you can use to get drunk and tune them out. At that point it's just tolerating looking at their stupid faces, hipster bears, high and tight haircuts and stupid ear-lobe knobs, and I can ignore people on the street just fine

I know, I just don't get you beer brewers. I make bulk hooch. I respect you jokers, but when it comes down to it, Scotch and Wine are better alcohols than beer as a medium for nuance.

It's almost as if people like to make things that they personally enjoy.

I know, but it just seems so pedestrian. Like suburban people from Minnesota do this with friends. I caught on, in the worst way.

Yeah, just make sure you have good juice. Think of your yeast as your friend, or a pet you really like. You wanna feed it what you'd wanna eat, yeah? Keep it happy and it'll make you happy. I've got three strains I've kept for a long time. Steven's going on a decade and change now. Jonesy for three years. Pete I'm testing with this new batch of mead. He's a starter I got from a "homebrew faggot" in town. So far I'm not impressed, but it's Not Bad, just... Slow, and kinda boring. I prefer my yeast to have more get up and go. Steven's been able to turn fifty pounds of honey into mead over the course of two weeks if I use him properly. Jonesy's more a bread yeast, but he Isnt BAD per se, just mediocre unless put into the right brew. Treat em right and they'll be your best friends.

Yeah, Swhy I stick to fruit wines. Can't wait for my peaches to come in.

How do you keep yeast strains for that long? From what I understand, if you just keep using yeast a from a previous batch they eventually gather adaptations that produce off flavors.

I make 300 liters of wash at a time. Dries out at .990 for a 13% wine.

Yeah and not alla is are "hipsters". Some of us are hicks out in the boonies that have way too much of one fruit or whatever and need to make sure it doesn't just rot on the vine or on the ground. Mead is great cuz I got three hives and my relatives are fucking sick of honey, and I cant sell enough of my honey to get rid of it all. Gotta do something with it; useta store it in my basement but once I had TWO fucking FIFTY GALLON DRUMS of the shit I knew something had tbe done. So, mead and then honeyjack. Distillation into high quality hooch makes me the toast of the town without having to do much more than hand over a bottle or two once in a blue moon. And since it's free, the cops ain't tryna bust me. Gets me discounts in town and keeps people nice.

/diy/ has a dedicated homebrew thread, you would be better off going there, Veeky Forums is trash.

If it starts tasting bad, I chuck it. Steven hasn't yet tasted bad. Lost a couple good strains that way yeah, but Steve's done me right for a long time. If I gotta retire the old boy ima see if he can do bread; don't wanna hafta old yeller his ass yknow? He's done me right.

Unrelatedly, every strain I hafta chuck was named after a woman. Angela, Hailey, Kristin, Maria

you need to market your honey better. People fucking love honey!

Oooo, sweet lemonade. That's how ydo it; big ol trashcans that have been properly sanitized are your friend

Yeah.. 'sweet lemonade'. I'll use that. I make azeotropic ethanol. But Sweet Lemonade sounds great.

I mean I could but then my town wouldn't love me so hard and I wouldn't have goddamn honey whiskey. For a while I had bluebonnets and you bet your bottom dollar I made sure they were near the bees. I collected that honey and made sure it was kept separate and I call it my "Heart of Texas" brew. Jacked it and that cask is kept in a secret place. Only my good friends get any.

But yeah man it's kinda a Done thing out here. Lord knows I don't wanna deal with marketing assholes and alla that shit; I sell at farmers markets. I could be living fat and all that, but I just wanna pay my land tax and keep to myself, not stack dollars like a fucking Richie Rich dickhole.

If you ever wanna do a trade with a crazy hillbilly, lemme know what's haps.

just share it how you can, for a profit. good work. people who keep bees alive are god's gift.

This is really getting me going to try that sorghum buisiness again. Experiment and the like. I missed this; back in the day with Tepache he actually convinced me to MAKE tepache. Tepache, he explained, is pineapple wine. It is The Good Shit. Too bad pineapples aren't cheap.

Exactly. My bees keep my trees making peaches and plums and I have one hive that is moveable so I rent it out on occasion to neighbors in exchange for either money or fruit. I'm really deeply uninterested in profit though, man. I wanna do enough to make sure my bills are paid and I can afford some nice things. I'm not greedy.

Bees are important though. Not only do they make sweet sweet honey, they keep our ecosystem rolling. I've seen how Shit has gone down. Its no good. Gotta make sure things work with each other instead of against each other.

If you have a quiet parcel of land then make..

115L of water
30Kg Sugar
1326ml tomato paste (8.5cans)
5tsp Citric Acid
380g Yeast
1 tsp Epsom salt
2 campden tablets in water

You might be able to use honey in place of sucrose. Distill that and you have quality booze.

The actual equation is..

shuggo.com/birdwatchers/calculator.htm

...tomato? Gross man

You don't taste tomato in the final distillate. It's a nutrient. It's the cleanest ethanol you'll ever create.

You need to treat yeast like a child. If you beat the child it will end up being an asshole. If you coddle it, it'll be a good kid.

Awright I'll see that. I'll give it a shot if I'm tryna do white lightning but that's more one of my buddy's thing. I'm tryna make something with Flavor, ydig?

How many wines have you ever created that went dry in 5 days? This dries in 5 days and creates its own heat. from 25 to 35 degrees C.

Then you need corn and an amylase to break down that carbohydrate into sugar. After that you need white oak that you can burn to create flavour. If you want to do corn whiskey. You can't just try to ferment corn without the chemistry.

Neat.

>azeotropic ethanol
way to be redundant. trying this hard to look smart on a Pakistani goat cheese trading market?

that seems like way too few campdens

>Some of us are hicks out in the boonies
Those are moonshiners, not brewers

this place is really like trying to communicate with a lump of dogshit. why are you people even online?

my water comes from lake huron. we don't need dechlorination in vast numbers. Like i said, 5 days from 1.085 to .990. Get it?

Naw son ain't all of us make that shit. Seen too many of my friends blind drunk on that crap to really wanna make that. I make sipping beverages not WOOO LOOK WHAT I CAN DO drank. Stuffs fun once in a while but not something I ever have on hand. Honeyjack, yeah, sure. It's basically whiskey made with honey, and you can sip it without getting walleyed and wild. Better than shine, which will make a man mean and nasty and no fun