How do I know if my writing is poor?

How do I know if my writing is poor?

When you show it your parents and you can see that slight hope, which you had given them by telling them you wrote a short story, die.
You'll know.

If it can't afford a five star review hotel then youre poor

Read a lot
Develop a literary taste
Write something
Read it like you would read any other text
Decide if it's good or bad

He's trying to look past his bias toward himself.

I work in the publishing industry. Post it here and I'll tell you what I think. Might be good for a few giggles as well.

compare it to other books or if you want to be modern to twitter and wattpad posts

The Guv'nor's Promise

You will have many children. You will harvest large crops, and your herds of cattle and flocks of sheep and goats will produce many young. You will have plenty of bread to eat. The Guv'nor will make you successful in your daily work. The Guv'nor will help you defeat your enemies and make them scatter in all directions. The Guv'nor is giving you the land, and he will make sure you are successful in everything you do. Your harvests will be so large that your storehouses will be full. If you follow and obey The Guv'nor, he will make you his own special servant, just as he promised. Then everyone on earth will know that you follow the The Guv'nor, and they will be afraid of you.

read it.

Is it good?

REALLY...? Are you just fooling your little faggy mind, or is it good?

Is that it? Is this standalone or part of a larger story? I do appreciate it though, you explore some interesting ideas. The language is a bit too modern, I think it would work better with different grammar.

The Guv'nor's People

The Guv'nor had commanded us to leave the fort and go to the hill country that belonged to the French, so we started out into the flat wetlands. You remember how frightening it was, but soon we were at the gates, and I told you, “We have reached the hill country. It belongs to the French now, but The Guv'nor is giving it to us. He is The Guv'nor our ancestors believed in, and he has told us to go in and take this land, so don’t hesitate and be afraid.”

Then all of you came to me and said, “Before we go into the land, let’s send some men to explore it. When they come back, they can tell us about the towns we will find and what roads we should take to get there.”

It seemed like a good idea, so I chose twelve men, one from each family. They explored the hill country as far as Bunch Valley and even brought back some of the fruit. They said, “The Guv'nor is giving us good land.”

You did not want to go into the land, and you refused The Guv'nor. You stayed in your tents and grumbled, “The Guv'Nor must hate us—he brought us out of Yorkshire, just so he could hand us over to the French and get rid of us. We are afraid, because the men who explored the land told us that the cities are large, with walls that reach to the sky. The people who live there are taller and stronger than we are, and some of them are Negroes. We have nowhere to go.”

Then I said, “Don’t worry! The Guv'nor will lead the way. He will fight on our side, just as he did when we saw him do all those things to the Spaniards. And you know that The Guv'nor has taken care of us the whole time we’ve been at sea, just as you might carry one of your children.”

But you still would not trust The Guv'nor, even though he had always been with us. During the daytime, the Guv'nor was in the Hall, leading us in the right direction and showing us where to camp. And at night, he was there by the fire.

You had made the Guv'nor angry, and he said:

You people of this generation are evil, and I refuse to let you go into the good land that I promised your fathers. William son of Jebediah is the only one of your generation that I will allow to go in. He obeyed me completely, so I will give him and his descendants the land he explored.

I told you what the Guv'nor had said, but you paid no attention. You disobeyed him and went into the hill country anyway. You thought you were so great! But when the French in the hill country attacked from their towns, you ran from them as you would run from a swarm of bees. The French chased your troops into the sea as far as cliffs, killing them as they went. Then you came back to the hall and wept, but the Guv'nor would not listen to you.

anyone would rate my writings? but its in polish. Some guy said it was shit, but i wrote a lot since then and i thought i may improved myself

Go on....

Dont wanna post the entire book now, i want to get published.

What do you think?

btw this is not me (OP).

But It doesn't matter, I didn't made this thread to show my writings.

Would be nice another critique thread.

The Guv'nor's Judgement

We spent many years wandering around outside the hill country of the French, until the Guv'nor said:

William, you have wandered in these hills long enough. Turn and go north. And give the people these orders: “Be very careful, because you will soon go through the land that belongs to your relatives, the descendants of the Teutonics. They are afraid of you, but don’t start a war with them. I have given them the hill country, so I won’t give any of it to you, not even enough to set a foot on. And as you go through their land, you will have to buy food and water from them.”

The Guv'nor has helped us and taken care of us during the past forty years that we have been in this huge desert. We’ve had everything we needed, and the Guv'nor has blessed us and made us successful in whatever we have done.

We went past the territory that belonged to our relatives, the descendants of Teutonics. We followed Abbi Road that starts in the south, then we turned onto the loan road that leads to the sea.

The Guv'nor told me, “Don’t try to start a war with the French. Leave them alone, because I gave the land and I will not let you have any of it.”

I like it, it's original, interesting writing style, interesting story. Couple of things;
1. You need to make it clear who the narrator is
2. You need to have compelling characters
3. More descriptive language is always good
Read some Beowulf and old testament, as well as some publications contemporary with your timeline. I think you have something going here, it's a lot better than some of the shit that gets on my desk but I can't say everyone will be interested.

Thanks I feel more confident

people will mock you

Always assume it's shit so you can keep working on it.

I feel the language, depending on who the narrator is, could be better chose. The use of 'Guv'nor' gives it a cockney vibe but none of the other language plays on this or gives us any hints towards and possible characterisation.