"Loganberry Books in Ohio has reorganised its fiction section so all titles by male writers now have their spines...

>"Loganberry Books in Ohio has reorganised its fiction section so all titles by male writers now have their spines facing the wall"

>"A sign in front of the display says: “Illustrating the fiction gender gap … we’ve silenced male authors, leaving works of women in view.”"

theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/08/womens-history-month-promotion-sees-bookshop-silence-mens-voices

What now white boi?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/27/us-study-finds-publishing-is-overwhelmingly-white-and-female
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't get what's the intent. It just underlines that women are producing less literature despite largely preferring humanities.

oh look more gender bait.

i'm really outraged.

This is just bad business lol

This doesn't necessitate any sort of response.

You reactionary faggots are just as unbearable and simple as these libcucks/identity pol people you hate so damn much.

5 correct responses in a row. goodly did, Veeky Forums.

>books are in messy stacks
>unable to browse authors and titles
2/10 would not shop at

i guarantee you they will make the profit of their life... sadly

>“It is quite striking – eye opening. and, obviously, temporary.”
So it's just virtue signaling for like a week to give their shitty shop some media buzz. Can't say I disrespect cold capitalistic cynicism

Looks like I add another year to my boycott of non male authors

>95% of the books are covered
>literally every book you would ever want to buy with maybe 5 exceptions is covered
Sweet business model

But aren't they just making their own store look sexist for not having more women's books?

>people getting this upset and not realizing its for a single day

>store becomes inconvenient to use
>everyone quit giving them business
>they can't sell any books by men
>they go bankrunpt

I don't want to be more virtuous than them, I just want revenge.

>be me
>be lady
>go to bookstore
>excited to get book from new author (male) I'm into recently
>go to shelves, humming a jaunty tune
>stop dead
>all the books are backwards on the shelves
>what the shit
>spend longer than normal finding what I'm looking for cuz all the books are backwards
>pain in the ass
>give up and go home without book
MFW I was oppressed by feminism.

>t. centrist cuck

>respecting opportunism
the aesthetics of a peasant

Make it stop.

This. You're only hurting yourselves with this shit

Ohio?

too bad nobody lives there

>Stupid ladies! Nobody can see the books now! Ha ha feminism btfo
How retarded are you guys? This bookstore got on international news for doing this, which cost them nothing, it's literally free advertising

It's a dyke bookstore, serving pretty much exclusively to nutty feminists types.

So it's not like they're pissing off their male clientele, who aren't coming in the first place, and the fags that do agree with this type of nonsense anyway.

So it's not really much of a stance to take.

> Novelist Susan Petrone tweeted: “If @loganberrybooks had just done another display for #WomensHistoryMonth, nobody would be talking about gender disparities,” while thriller writer Joe Hill, son of Stephen King, tweeted: “Wouldn’t it be interesting to try this with your own TBR pile for a while? Might try it with mine.”

what...?

Seriously. What?! I don't understand what fucking point the idiot is trying to make here. No wonder nobody knows who he is as an author, aside from stephen king's son.

Let me explain something. There is no gender bias in the publishing industry. If anything, there is a preference for females. So by protesting the lack of female writers they are protesting:
>Lack of female writers
>Lack of female writers good enough to be published
Neither of which is indicative of systematic sexism.

Yeah, obviously the real answer is that woman brains be fundamentally different in some unprovable way from super pen-working man brains

Generally, they're not protesting that females aren't involved enough in the publishing industry.

What they're really pissed about is that THEY'RE female, and THEY are not in the publishing industry.

Every shitty writer out there (including a lot on lit) likes to thin their work is just a masterpiece, but it's not being published because of x bias in the publishing industry. They never get published because their work is shit, and they never improve because they refuse to believe their work is shit and it's somebody else's fault, cycle repeats.

Women writers aren't being silenced. Men dont care for them but most readers are women anyway. Male readers are a niche market at best. Middle class white women basically are the reading public.

After reading the article, I'm less angry. I don't altogether agree with it, but I think have a fair point.

MRAs can suck it.

it's international women's day
this is just a temporary publicity stunt, like wearing poppies for remembrance day

And?

>After reading the article, I'm less angry. I don't altogether agree with it, but I think those Muslim terrorists have a fair point.
>Infidels can suck it.

Women are simply inferior to men. Anyone who disagrees with this is delusional and/or a woman.

I never said anything about women being biologically inferior. YOU brought that up. I think you have some insecurities to work through, honey.

>YOU brought it up
WHOA you got me! nice detective work sherlock. i did indeed make that point in the post that I typed myself

Females are so keenly aware of their inferiority that they have to resort to passive-aggressiveness and obtuseness. I guess it must be difficult to have someone disagree with you for once in your life.

Yes. Now the next step is to admit that you have a massive insecurity complex because of how stupid you are, and you hide behind sarcasm because you aren't intelligent enough to talk honestly.

what the fuck are you talking about. you didn't even disagree with me, i just made fun of your stupid post.

I'm the guy who made the original post, my response is hereI don't believe that women are mentally inferior. I honestly don't know why more women aren't publishing fiction. Maybe it's something cultural. I just know that you can't really blame it on sexism, seeing as how women dominate the publishing industry in the first place, so the whole protest is pointless.

>I don't know what it is
>maybe it's cultural
>b-but it's definitely NOT sexism
cool argument

Also even if that were all true it's clearly not "pointless" because they got a bunch of news coverage and hype for something that cost them . zero dollars to do duhh durr it's like you guys have never worked in business or something. it's far from "pointless." you just want to complain about women

Here's a source btw: google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/27/us-study-finds-publishing-is-overwhelmingly-white-and-female

Publishing is majority female on every level. So how can you blame men for there not being enough female authors for your taste? Why punish male authors, who have ABSOLUTELY NO influence on what authors are getting published and distributed?

The whole thing is rather silly.

And the playing field is as level as it's going to get for women writers. Men aren't going to read them but most men aren't going to read anybody. If women prefer male writers over female writers then tough shit. If they can't even connect with female readers maybe it is better they starve in the gutter and their genes are removed from the gene pool.

oh damn, the patriarchy is really feeling the heat now

you thought you were rekt when the exclusive feminine pronouns showed up, oh ho ho that was merely the pin head of the incoming hammer blow you felt

I'm not talking about whether it was a good business move, I'm talking about the 'issue' of not having enough female authors, which is what the store is protesting.

It's clear that there is a demand for more female fiction writers, they just aren't stepping up to the plate. It's unfair to blame this on gender bias when the whole literary culture is very feminist and overwhelmingly female.

>It's unfair
To who, you? If they're wrong in their analysis, big deal, they're wrong. Why does that matter?

patriarchy to disassemble and relinquish control after spate of dress drawings on men's room icons

"I just don't see how we can carry on in light of this." Godhead Heman Patter said casting aside his sword.

>It's clear that there is a demand for more female fiction writers

Is there really?

Or is it just a bunch of talentless female writers who are bitching that they aren't part of the system.

It's like one day I went to sleep and then I woke up in an episode of Portlandia and I can't escape

>stop pointing out stupid things that SJWs do!!! why do you care so much, are you a sexist?????
How to stop a crypto-SJW

There's not really a demand for more writers of any kind. There's such a big backlog of quality literature that even avid readers will never be able to read it all. Writers are a dime a dozen. They're disposable.

>Why does the truth matter
>Why is anything important besides how I FEEL
How to spot a female, everyone

>I'm fighting for truth and justice by whining about ladies' book shops

The reason it's an issue is because it's such a prevalent sentiment that women writers are being oppressed into not publishing. The problem won't go away if you stick your fingers in your ears and ignore it.

underrated post

>failing business does edgy thing to garner attention
I see no problem. holla holla praise the almighty dolla.

>The reason it's an issue is because it's such a prevalent sentiment that women writers are being oppressed into not publishing.
I thought that WAS the issue.
>The problem won't go away
So you admit there's a problem? And the problem is there aren't many published women compared to men? But it's wrong to think that women are being excluded from publishing? Come on dude, this post is totally incoherent.

Personally I have no problem with women being underrepresented in fiction, just like I have no problem with men being underrepresented in fiction (if they were choosing not to write fiction)

I would have a problem with women being excluded from publishing, but that is clearly not the case.

Women are unrepresented in the auto mechanic field.
As well as roofers, contractors, electricians, firefighters, sea harvesting, etc...

Why is nobody bitching about that?

Well that is actually evidence of sexism. What it boils down to is this: women want women in the elite class, they care little about skilled trades and manual labor.

Wait, is he Stephen King's wife's son or did he take his wife's name?

Yeah, but they obviously can't admit that. Nor can they even admit it's true, because just doing that would cede the argument that women are interested in different professions than men, and the whole estrogen soaked house of cards falls down.

>Well that is actually evidence of sexism.
Not really. Women just aren't physically capable of those jobs.

I think he is a writer too and changed it so he wouldn't be known as Stephen King's son

Really worked out well for him.

Look at a pic of Stephen king. If you were a woman would you allow him to have congress with you even if you were married to him and he's worth a few hundred million dollars?

Maybe if I was a pleb like Stephen King.

>equating terrorism to freedom of expression
Whew lad.

>drowned out...

Stephenie Meyers
El James
Nora Roberts
Danielle Steel
Sandra Brown

Are the shelf standard at every single thrift store, I can buy 20 copies of eclipse and new moon for 5 dollars and have a decent amount of firewood.

That's what I don't understand either. There ARE a lot of very successful female writers out there, both now and historically.

In terms of numbers, there's not quite as many as men...but there's still a shit load of them. What the hell are they complaining about.

But the biggest selling book series of all time is by a woman. I don't understand

We need a sticky to tell /pol/ and /r9k/ that we don't care about any of this shit.

you understand this argument is retarded right?

First they silence Milo, now they try to silence all men.

Feminists truly are nazis.

Yeah, now that you're saying that, I recall reading a small article a few years ago about how a majority of people in the publishing business, writers/publishers/readers are women, and it actually motivated some male writers to adopt female pen-names in order to be easily accepted.
Interesting.

Men are lucky they're getting published at all tbqh.

>80% female

jesus FUCK

Just gender identify as female next time you submit something for publication.

>we

nice try Moishie

83% of the publishing industry is women. They don't publish female authors because they all talk about the same fucking things:
>well hung chiseled love affairs
>female protagonist who is just so badass it hurts
>wish fulfillment
>relationships.

There's no diversity in female authors; everything they churn out is basically the same and has been for hundreds of years, ever since women began publishing.

If anyone's to blame it's the sexist women publishers who are self hating feminists, blissfully unaware of what they're doing.

Kek, slick as fuck, I knew those bastards were biased.
Good on that guy.

What's funny is that many women in the past used male, or at least gender neutral, pen names to get their stuff published. Now the opposite is true and people are throwing hissy fits.

Also, how the fuck can you reasonably want them to remove his poems after they were already accepted?
They're essentially admitting that they don't care about the actually poetry, they only care about ethnic diversity.

Man, I need to totally try this. I bet if I submit one of my short stories as a woman I can get into the fucking New Yorker.

Even feminist readers are disgusted by all of those authors, user.

>assuming the genders of the writers
baka desu senpai

I can only picture the decent, centrist, regular customers, who haven't a foot in either aisle of this inane social justice business, walking into the shop hoping to grab their next installment of their fantasy series and just having no idea wtf is going on.
Only to ask for some assistance and getting a brief lecture on the history of female literature.

>Oh okay. I guess I'll have to come back at a better time, thanks anyway.

And not giving any more of a shit than he/she did before about the topic, only feeling slightly inconvenienced in not being able to purchase the book they looked forward after taking the time out of their day to go to the bookshop on the other side of town.

And the world keeps on turning.