Books on how to be funny?

Books on how to be funny?

I'm not trying to be the funniest person in the room, I just want to learn to make people laugh. Is there a formula for humour?

who are some funny people you enjoy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gJKbZdDEfVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hit the sweet spot between ironic self-glorification and sarcastic self-contempt without it appearing autistic

youd be better off watching stand up or listening to funny podcasts or something

if your goal is to make normies laugh, i mean

point out connections between things that are not obvious until you point them out, and do it with entertaining delivery.

Hate yourself. The funny then flows.

like this?

the sum of all the digits in your post number is 39, which is also the number of the last 2 digits of your post number... BAZINGA

i forgot to add: don't be autistic about it. it should have some relevance to people's lives

Only if you want to be a post modern comedian

Self deprecating humor is really the worst kind

Its like saying "yeah I'm a piece of human garbage but your laughter means I don't have to change"

Being funny won't get you laid.

true. ever since trump won, watching louis ck makes me cringe. some of his bits are really good, then he'll ruin it with a sad sack middle aged loser routine

actually it pretty much will though

I didn't say anything about self-depreciating humor. Hating yourself is the best way to see the funny in the world.

Unless you implicate the audience in the self-deprecation of your own character.
i.e. say that you are terrible because people don't understand your professionally overwrought irony which therefore makes you successful in spite of yourself.
i.e. i.e. you hate that you're so good.

I agree this is the big slice of cheese, I just need to listen to some funny people who do this well to help pick it up I think.

I don't think it would be very fun to hate yourself. It may make others laugh, but it couldn't be good for your mind.

Any funny podcasts or good standup?

the trick to being funny is not finding your own jokes funny

most of humor is just delivery, even if you're being 100% serious people will still laugh if you nail the delivery

generally, your sense of humor has to be different from the audience's

for example, people found this youtube.com/watch?v=gJKbZdDEfVY hilarious though the guy who did it later described it as not being funny at all

he doesn't laugh or otherwise break character, just puts on a huge smile and says nigger, and there's something about that people find funny

Start with this old chunk of coal. Disregard confessional and post-ironic comedy.

Use potty humor. It has the best laughter per words ratio.

Non-potty humor:

>ayn rand is like that part in harry potter where gandalf kind of pulls an obama and some might even say succeeds in doing so but...blablablaslbs'odfin8e7rywo7 wppsus8dufpsivp8s9df u-scm\a nouhf

POTTY HUMOR:

>AYN RAND EATS SHIT

Many such examples.

Stoner humor:

>so like this CAPITALism thing is no longer capital anymore because...you know cap-...so when...uh

POTTY HUMOR:

>CAPITALISM IS A CESSPIT

Spend more time with funny people, and spend more time reading funny books.

As a Canadian, I get a real kick out of reading Leacock, Davies, and Fallis.

>reading to be funny

This is the equivalent of reading to get women

IF you want to be funny, all you have to do is look at life, see where people commonly fuck up, and make fun of that.

Also trying to be funny is probably the biggest way to not be funny.