The great debate

Left was cooked in mayonnaise, right was cooked in butter.

Which do you prefer?

Honestly I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.

I wanna say the mayo one is a bit crisper but the butter one is a bit more flavorful.

As it cooled off, the mayo-cooked one started to taste a little off, almost sour.

I think I'll be sticking with butter.

Case closed!

>Cooking things in mayonnaise

My amazing powers of divination are telling me that you are from.... The USA. Am I correct?

The paper plate didn't give it away?

Anyway I got the idea from here.

I'd never heard of cooking cheese sandwiches in mayo. I always used butter.

Yeah. Bismarck, North Dakota.

Butter. Mayo is for reddit tier meme cooks who want to make a croque monsieur but only know how to use jars and boxes.

At one of the restaurant I used to work at we cooked with mayo on the grill top because it wouldn't burn to the surface as easily.

using mayo as a cooking fat is utterly retarded

both, butter on the bread and mayonnaise in the middle

Now that just sounds disgusting.

you're a fool. is this because of Chef? it was confirmed that it was butter, right? you didn't have to do this. but you did. I hate you

It's because mayo is emulsified fat.

Every time we have a grilled cheese thread here, people go on and on about mayo.

I finally tried it.

Never again, though.

>mfw I realize that OP cooked his grilled cheese in blended egg yolks, oil, and god knows -what- else because of Veeky Forums

you better not do it again. you've defied God himself because of what you did today. I expected better from you

Are you fuckers really gonna act like mayo grilled cheese isn't a regular topic here?

Are you fucking gaslighting me?

what about human ejaculate?

I know it's a regular topic on here. I just can't believe OP actually made one

Well, I did it, so you don't have to.

Because I'm the hero this board needs.

at first I hated you, but...you did it for us. I respect you. thank you

It's just an oil. You could fry your grilled cheese in canola oil and it would turn out fine. I swear, you people are the biggest fucking babies.

>it's just an oil
>literally quoting a post that lists more ingredients than oil

I'd smack you in the fucking face if you attempted to serve me something cooked in mayonnaise. I'm not a part of your trailer park cooking.

I tried mayo once. I think we were trolled. No one actually does this. Butter only.

I've done it before. I really couldn't tell much difference other than the mayo one had a "tang" to it. I wouldn't describe it as sour, but it was different from butter. Also, no one lets grilled cheese sit around long enough for it to go "off." That's just stupid.

>It's just an oil.

No, it's not. It also contains egg. Have you never made mayo before?

>>canola oil turns out fine
You're right that canola oil is a cooking oil, but it doesn't "come out fine" because canola oil tastes bad due to its Eucric acid content. Canola oil might have been engineered to be "low acid", but that doesn't mean "no acid". In case you were a retard, Canola stands for "CANada Oil Low Acid". It was an attempt to make rapeseed oil taste better by reducing its eucric acid content & have a more marketing-friendly name. It sort of fails on the taste front because they were only able to engineer out some of the acid, not all of it.

the mayo goes off when you burn it since its filled with shit vegetable oil and eggs.

My ex gf would make it with mayo instead of butter. It tasted wrong. It was an easily noticed off putting taste. I tried it one time and never again. The only reason she does it that way is so she can fake being "country" because she says that's how US COUNTRY FOLK DO IT YOU DAMN YANKEE. She also wore camo and had a camo purse but never hunted a day in her life, wears cowboy boots but never rode a horse or done any work in her life, would look up southern terms to say and try saying she has said them all her life and google words on southern slang tests on facebook to prove she is "country". Never seen a country poser before her.

>cooked in mayonnaise
Disgustang

>I don't cook it in any fat cause I'm not a fucking amerifat

you are just missing out

oh look another post on Veeky Forums telling people they're tasting things wrong.

the croque monsieur would like a word with you

would ownership of a camo purse be justified by the fact that she had hunted a day in her life?

I never really put any butter og mayo on my sandwiches in general. I dunno, I just feel that it just makes it unnecessarily greasy :/

Ha know but it's the whole "camo is country" idea she has that pissed me off really

jesus fuck..no...not know..wtf I don't know how I did that

enjoy your eating disorder but the fact that things contain fat doesn't make them greasy.

I think it took this thread for me to finally fully realize just how autistic this board is.

>REEE YOU THINK I'M A REDNECK AMURIFAT WHO COOKS THEIR SANDWICHES IN THIS FAT? NO, I USE THIS OTHER FAT THAT IS IN NO WAY HEALTHIER BUT IS ARBITRARILY LESS FROWNED UPON IN MY CULTURE

Never even heard of cooking grilled cheese with mayo before, but god are you smug retards punchable.

I bet you coat your steak in peanut butter before cooking them, don't you?

it's not a fat. it's a sauce. if it was a fat i would agree with you.

its made form eggs and vegetable oil retard holy shit, its not just fat.

Technically butter isn't just fat either, but no one seems to care about that. Unless y'all are making your grilled cheeses with clarified butter.

>no one seems to care about that.

actually we do care about that. because it actually adds to the finished product. it helps browning and adds nutty flavours. the whole conception of mayo is to be served as an emulisified seasoned sauce or sauce base, dumping it in a pan to fucking split it to use the oil portion is retarded.

For me the mayo makes a huge difference in taste. It's very eggy and strange. Good for a grilled ham and cheese but not a regular one. Maybe I'd try using kewpie if I ever were to give it another shot, but it's unlikely.

I did that once, it made no difference in taste but it helps a LOT that the ghee can tolerate higher temperatures.

>dumping it in a pan to fucking split it to use the oil portion is retarded.

Holy shit, that isn't how you use it to make a grilled cheese! You spread a thin layer on the outside of the bread before putting it on a hot griddle or cast iron pan, just like when you use butter for it. Try not to be braindead the rest of the day.

the outcome is the same. the mayonnaise isn't holding, it's splitting and you're getting little coagulated spots of egg protein and reduced vinegar and whatever else is in there sticking to the pan and the surface of the bread. it's retarded. it's a shit use of mayo and will make your sandwich worse. if you want the seasoning from the mayonnaise, season your fucking bread.

Not an argument.

Butter can just as easily be used as a sauce or a base for a sauce, boss.

Your point being?

>Butter can just as easily be used as a sauce or a base for a sauce, boss.

yes, user. it's a versatile ingredient indeed. is this supposed to be an argument?

You expected butter things, you mean?

My argument is that your distinction of mayo as a "sauce" is irrelevant. Mayo can have various other purposes than simply a condiment. Looking down on its use as a means of flavoring and providing a lubricating grease to bread with its high fat content simply because in your cartoonish mind its only done by "muuh white trash flyover muricans" makes you borderline autistic.

I was actually thinking of using that pun. but I didn't. why am I such a failure

You're utterly retarded.

Mayonnaise is made with eggs and oil, 2 things both used in baking and cooking. You can literally replace eggs and oil with mayonnaise in baked goods recipes with the same results. You can also use mayonnaise as the binding for breading foods. Do you eat fried eggs? Do you eat foods pan fried in oil?
People who don't think outside the box when it comes to cooking will never be anything but pleb tier cooks. Chefs don't win awards for never trying anything new.

>. Looking down on its use as a means of flavoring and providing a lubricating grease to bread with its high fat content simply because in your cartoonish mind its only done by "muuh white trash flyover muricans" makes you borderline autistic.

reaching this hard to make it look like i don't have a simple culinary reason for thinking it's stupid is autistic.

white trash flyover murricans make all kinds of good food. the ones who swear by mayo as a cooking fat are just fucking memelords. it is a pointless waste.

>implying people don't make their own mayonnaise

Your post might be the dumbest yet in this thread. You think cooking with butter is some form of high-skilled cooking, when it's fucking easy mode.

my go to sponge recipe when i'm trying to make something really light involves making a brown butter mayonnaise and blending it with whipped egg whites before folding in the flour. that doesn't mean mayonnaise is a good cooking fat. the whole purpose of using it in baking is because it contains a lot of air and the emulsion helps stabilise the cake and prevent clumping. it's a worthwhile usage because the fact that it is mayo actually adds something. this is not so for using it to fry things.

You've yet to elucidate WHY using mayonnaise is so egregious. All you can spout off are buzzwords like Reddit and memelord. What makes it a "waste" exactly? What if you wanted to grill up some grilled cheese and you realized you were out of butter? Would using the mayo in a pinch debase yourself that much? Which method is better is irrelevant. All that matters is that an emulation made up mostly of fat will work perfectly fine in substitution of that pure fat. Getting mad over this is autism, sorry.

No one swears by mayo as a cooking fat for anything, but it has extremely legitimate applications, grilled cheese being just one. You don't have a legitimate culinary reason for rejecting it, other than you like to fatty it up with butter.

>All you can spout off are buzzwords like Reddit and memelord.

i am obviously not the same poster as whoever's done that you fuckwit. you're just being fucking lazy

>What makes it a "waste" exactly? What if you wanted to grill up some grilled cheese and you realized you were out of butter?

the fact that you are out of other ingredients does not increase the suitability of this one you plen.

>Which method is better is irrelevant. All that matters is that an emulation made up mostly of fat will work perfectly fine in substitution of that pure fat.

you've shifted the goalpost fucking hard and you know it.

>No one swears by mayo as a cooking fat for anything,

yes they do: GRILLED FUCKING CHEESE you disingenuous bollard.

>other than you like to fatty it up with butter.

yes because mayo is truly lean cuisine. waiting on gwyneth paltrow's line of frozen mayo desserts to hit the stores

Mayonnaise certainly does add something when used to fry foods. An extra crisp exterior while using less fat than you would with butter.
Also, your sponge story is only one example of why mayonnaise may be used in baking. The aeration doesn't apply to other baked goods it can be used in. Using a singular personal example is not enough to reject any other applications.

Lmao, I've never once shifted the goal posts. I made it clear from my original post that I had never even heard of mayo used in grilled cheese. I can not personally vouch for the taste and was never arguing as such. My argument was, and STILL is, is that getting mad over someone substituting butter with what is basically a pure fat emulsion is autism incarnate and you and the other retarded elitists in this thread have yet to present a single argument that isn't baseless ad hominem.

Lol, you're pathetic. Your views on cooking are exactly why the Food Network is still in business.

>Mayonnaise certainly does add something when used to fry foods. An extra crisp exterior while using less fat than you would with butter.

what the fuck are you talking about

>Also, your sponge story is only one example of why mayonnaise may be used in baking. The aeration doesn't apply to other baked goods it can be used in.

...and? do you want to give me an explanation of why it is suitable in those applications or are you just wanking about because you don't have an argument?

>Using a singular personal example is not enough to reject any other applications.

i'm not rejecting any other applications. i'm rejecting this one. people are selling it to me and i'm not buying it. butter is obviously better.

>My argument was, and STILL is, is that getting mad over someone substituting butter with what is basically a pure fat emulsion is autism incarnate

that's not what people are getting mad about. they're getting mad at the spergs who swear that mayo is better.

>elitists

fuck off trotsky i'm hardly telling anyone that caviar is the only effective toothpaste.

Can you point out to me the people in this thread who are acting like mayo is the better option? (which at the end of the day simply comes down to personal taste). Because I can show you the various posts of people losing their shit over huur muh white trash flyover cookin' who feel "above" the idea of using mayo as a cooking fat based on feelings alone.

The difference, idiot, is that it takes a very small amount of mayonnaise to make a grilled cheese compared to the amount of butter you need for the same. Everyone loves the taste of butter, that's the real reason you use it. Just admit it, you like the fatty, buttery, flavor that goes all the way through the bread by the time it's done. There's nothing wrong with admitting you're a fatty.

You are downright thick headed. See

>very small amount of mayonnaise to make a grilled cheese compared to the amount of butter you need for the same

I'm not one of the people you're arguing with, but that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. Butter and mayo are both mostly fat. Why would any one of them use a different amount for frying in than the other? That makes no sense at all. You could just as easily spread a thin layer of butter on your bread as you could mayo. Or put a small amount of butter in a pan. It's absurd to suggest that one requires a significantly different amount than the other.

>The difference, idiot, is that it takes a very small amount of mayonnaise to make a grilled cheese compared to the amount of butter you need for the same.

that's completely inaccurate.

>Everyone loves the taste of butter, that's the real reason you use it. Just admit it, you like the fatty, buttery, flavor that goes all the way through the bread by the time it's done. There's nothing wrong with admitting you're a fatty.

mfw someone tries to argue that mayo is the 'healthy option' near me, jesus christ.

let me explain the thread to you.

someone decided to experiment on the relative merits of the two cooking fats. this is in response to a longstanding debate over which is better.

the OP decided that mayo doesn't really add anything and butter is better.

some people came in and agreed with him.

then fedora tipping semi-professional devil's advocates came in and started REEing about the brutal elitism of the reasoned preferences for butter demonstrated by the previous posters.

so i decided to BTFO you because i don't want you walking away from this car crash of a thread thinking about how enlightened you are. you are not. people shit on the use of butter in threads like this all the time. they're dumb and you are dumb for defending them. now fuck off.

You won't get the same golden brown exterior if you used as small of an amount of butter as mayo. I don't really care if you believe me or not. I've worked in multiple restaurant kitchens, some used mayonnaise, some used butter, some used butter flavored shortening. Of all three, butter takes the most to create the same results.

Let me guess, you learned how to cook by watching Gordon Ramsay and Alton Brown videos.

>I don't really care if you believe me or not
>btw I have totally worked in such prestigious establishments as those which use shortening to make grilled cheese

The only person you BTFO'd was yourself, retard.

Let's take a look at all the scholarly, reasoned arguments presented in these posts:

Oh wait, right. There are none. It's a bunch of losers getting vigorously offended at the notion of using mayo as a cooking fat because in their mind, it's a sin only acted out by the most up voting redditor and freedom loving amerifat. I.E. They're arguments based only in feelings and emotion, because they've been conditioned to view mayo in such a light despite its nutritional content and chemical makeup not being all that far off from butter. Go outside and get some air, friend.

Lol, and I suppose you have fantastic experience making neckbeard grilled cheese for one? Your comment just proves your ignorance of the subject. I'm not ashamed of all the kitchen jobs I've had. It's one reason why I'll always be a better cook than you.

I like the tang that comes from using mayonnaise due to the small amount of lemon juice and vinegar instead of butter. Since the amount of fat and quality of browning is the same, I'll stick with mayonnaise. It does the job just as well with an added kick, so fuck right off!

I don't understand what every one is flipping their shit over but this is what it comes down to. They both work the same for making the bread golden brown and nice. It comes down to whether or not you like the added flavor from the mayo. Some do. Some don't. I don't. You do. That's all it is. There is no right or wrong method. I think you're sane and the rest are not.

>using mayo as a cooking fat
It's actually the first time I've ever seen this

>Oh wait, right. There are none. It's a bunch of losers getting vigorously offended at the notion of using mayo as a cooking fat because in their mind, it's a sin only acted out by the most up voting redditor and freedom loving amerifat. I.E. They're arguments based only in feelings and emotion, because they've been conditioned to view mayo in such a light despite its nutritional content and chemical makeup not being all that far off from butter. Go outside and get some air, friend.

While I agree with the hatred of redditors and liberals, your typical mayo has eggs in it, which will not do well under high heat.

You don't cook grilled cheese over high heat.

The whole point of the grilled cheese process is browning the bread, user. That is a result of high temperatures at the surface.

It's cooked over medium low heat to give the cheese time to melt without turning the bread into black crisp. There is no high heat involved.

>cooking ur grilled cheese in vegetable oil with eggs
that mayonnaise shill will defend this

>your typical mayo has eggs in it, which will not do well under high heat.

Which is no different than the milk solids found in butter.

Plus, I find there's no problem at all when putting egg in a hot frying pan. Pic related.

the whole point of the fat is to allow bread to get golden over lower temperatures while allowing the cheese to melt. Not high heat and done quickly. Your grilled cheese must suck

if you want unmelted cheese and burnt bread you use high heat
stop talking out your ass

You're equivocating high heat under the pan with the resultant temperature at the surface. While the heat under the pan is relatively low, the result of the heat in both scenarios - browning - is directly tied to reaching a sufficiently high heat for the proteins and sugars to break down. That is the high heat that coagulates egg proteins.

mfer i'm not bill nye. I just know I use medium low for grilled cheese and high on cast iron for steaks

congrats on being the smartest dumbass here

Could you back pedal any faster?

Well let me explain. Browning happens when you cook stuff long and hot enough to evaporate water and bring the food up to around 130 degrees centigrade so that the proteins and sugars react with each other to produce complex compounds. These proteins and sugars ordinarily do not have a smell, but through browning they turn into compounds which do have a smell. As a result, the ingredient you've browned starts to smell good, taste different (the sweetness goes down and the smell is picked up in your mouth as a nutty, roasted flavour) and as a bonus, the surface of the ingredient dries out to a point where it goes crispy. This is what you are aiming for with a grilled cheese. do it at a low temperature for a long enough time and you will heat the proteins and sugars up enough to the point t where they burn. The process is simply faster over a high heat. The other bonus do a low heat is that the temperature ingredient is more even, so the bread is not only dried out and browned on the very surface, but also more evenly throughout the bread.

In any case, when the surface reaches the point of browning, the egg in the mayo is long past the point where it coagulates - over 85 degrees centigrade - and so from this perspective it doesn't really matter if you use a low or high heat under the pan, the result is still the same.

*temperature gradient

No you fucking nerd. The result of lower heat and longer time is melting the cheese. If I turn that fucker to high it chars the bread and has cold cheese inside. Go build a space shuttle or something but stay away from grilled cheese.

Check out all that sweet coagulation going on in the OP'S picture lmao. As we know, only an idiot would ever fry bread covered in egg. That's why French toast sucks so much, am I right?

So you want your grilled cheese to taste like French toast? Have I got that right?

I haven't been on this board every single day, but I have been on this board pretty fucking regularly and I have NEVER seen a 'cooking x in mayo' thread before.

This is a new low point. Good job everybody.

Also, to further complicate the issue - mayo is acidulated. It contains vinegar and lemon juice. Acidity suppresses the Maillard reaction, meaning it takes longer to brown and the browning is generally less even.

The movie Chef came out in 2014, which is when this technique came to notoriety

Despite the fact that he obviously used butter and oil, not mayo.