What should I read to know what kind of Islam I should join? (aside from the Qur'an/Sunnah)

What should I read to know what kind of Islam I should join? (aside from the Qur'an/Sunnah)

What are the arguments for Sunni or Shia Islam? Are there any books on this for someone barely entering Islam?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXxHEHGRVu9H54IfV0XkhnqkcC3wm8mR
youtube.com/watch?v=8-EfW7gYzns
youtube.com/watch?v=cD6TCxizFjs
warosu.org/lit/thread/S4508761
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What are the arguments for Sunni or Shia Islam?
Well, were you born in Iran or Saudi?

Read Ibn Warraq

Why do you want to join Islam if your knowledge of it is so limited that you'd have to read up on the differnet branches?

don't bother joining
its rubbish

read the Bhagavad Gita
memes probably

>joining Islam
you don't like the based Christianity as an alternative?

nvm OP is an obvious baiter. sage.

The Sunni/Shia divide is a pointless dichotomy. What matters is madhab - look into the Hanafi and Maliki madhabs, and investigate Sufism

Read the Conference of the Birds by Farid Uddin Attar

Why wouldn't you choose to be the sufi master race?

>What should I read to become a fucking moron?

>intentionally falling for Jewish tricks

t. Yahweh

>read the Bhagavad Gita
This. 1000000x better.

"How to fuck a goat" by Abdul

Why do Muslim say kill all Jews when their God was created by Jews?

>becoming a religious cuck
>wasting your life subservient to a god that doesn't exist
>th regret not being able to smugly look every one of you retards in the eye when you realize death is eternal unconsciousness because you won't be present to realize how much you've cucked yourself

None. I mean, practically it's a decent decision (if you place your bet that they'll win the culture war) but as far as actually belief? Mecca's importance was not established until 300 years after death. The Koran has been proven to be changed between its various oldest version, of which there are many differences, and from even older script underneath the writing of the 'oldest' texts.

Is The Christ a Jewish trick?

>I want to read about Islam
>HURR READ GITA
It's good, but it is beside the point of the thread. It is like telling someone who can't decide between two ice cream flavors to go out for lobster.

>Are there any books on this for someone barely entering Islam?

"Dirka Dirka Mohammed Jihad" by Abdullah Ibn Farook

sufism isn't a distinct branch, rather the mystical inward investigation of Islam. Sufism exist in all branches, and traditionally was one of the most important elements of Islamic practice in one's daily life. Recent power imbalances in the middle east led to the rise of Islamic extremism, which unfortunately had a negative effect on the emphasis on sufism.

More like someone who cannot decide if he would rather eat dog shit or cat shit

That's really funny my man. It's real cool how you have closed off your mind to an entire philosophical tradition and now revel in your ignorance in the most original way possible. I'm am sure you would have not even bothered with the Gita if T.S. Eliot hadn't jerked off to it.

Learn Arabic first.

The Message of The Qur'an

>Muslim
>talking about others reveling in ignorance

I hope you're happy with your life, man. You sound pretty pathetic to me.

>>I want to read about Islam
its mostly rubbish
ice cream is shit and so is Abraham, you should choose lobster

>hurr I don't want to be a Christian no more
>I know! I'll be a moslem instead

Definitely not as pathetic as the PewResearch poll results from muslim majority countries.

Definitely not as pathetic as the oppression of women in muslim majority countries.

Definitely not as pathetic as worshipping a illiterate warlord who had multiple wives, including a child and his cousin.

Muslims aren't exactly known for their philosophy. Maybe hundreds of years ago they had some smart mathematicians and Platonists but not anymore. Canada publishes more books each year than the entire Muslim world.

I don't care about how "oppressive" Islam is
I care about how much of a theological mess it is, basically turn of the last millennium statism with lots of hollow ritual.

Westerners who want to convert are usually retarded, leaving christianity is one thing, but at least trade up rather than settle for christianity lite + less freedom of thought.

geber

Ireland has published more literature than the entire Muslim world in the same period of time

Qutbism or gtfo. Read every word Qutb wrote, and get to work ending the impure.

Just watch these short videos first and you'll be set
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXxHEHGRVu9H54IfV0XkhnqkcC3wm8mR

>It is like telling someone who can't decide between two ice cream flavors to go out for lobster.
Nah it's like telling someone who can't decide between shit and piss so you tell them to go eat real food.

Islam is lame as hell
if you want to be edgy there are so many more opportunities as a Buddhist and at least you're not drafted into a cult

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think Christianity is fine and Islam is a "theological mess". In many ways its theology developed in response to the insane directions Christianity and Judaism were taking. Please stop basing Islam off of what you watch on Fox news and understand it has a rich philosophic tradition just the same as any other religion.
This is the sorry state of Veeky Forums right now that people can't be assed to read before making shit up.

1billion radical faggots that want to mutilate women's vaginas/clitoris and enforce shariah law sure is better than Christianity.

Not him but you're the one who sounds ignorant right now m8.

nice samefagging and /pol/ bait my man. That by the way proves that you didn't even read my post. If you can't read and just want to shit up the thread, please go back to your containment board and leak shit there instead.

t. ahmed

How many German girls you rape today?

Islam is a mess, watch

(((David Wood)))

Liar liar turban on fire.

Christ is from the God of Abraham so yes, a Jewish trick.

>editing your pic
Sad!

Look you buddy it's entirely possible that more than one person ITT disagrees with you. Muslims are famous for getting overly offended when people disagree with them, so I understand that this discussion has been an upsetting experience for you, but please, try to keep your temper under control.

Mohammed probably doesn't approve of crybabies.

Considering that he fucked a child, he probably loves crybabies.

THERE is only 1 god and muhammed was it messenger.

FIN.

(everything beyond that is BS)

If you're not trolling, please don't ask Veeky Forums for life advice. But read this book desu.

Sericulture is cool, what's wrong with it?

Anything by Rushdie.

When thought about it's quite horrifying. Larvae are raised only to the point when they begin to truly develop, and then they are killed en masse to develop a commodity for someone else's profit.

>fox news rich tradition blah blah
I'm not American and I've studied Islam among other faiths for my degree and grad program

Islam is philosophically pretty dry, the only interesting bits for me is the idea of Al-Insān al-Kāmil, the universal pivot, and their artistic methodology but really while I find some aspects interesting I'd never consider conversion.
it raises far too many issues and the utter reliance on largely empty ritual and strict legalism I find really unhealthy for the mind. it operates like a military/cult system and frankly its not terribly attractive as a theology dispute the poetry and prose which is all quite good.
That I credit more to the natural artistry of the Arabs and Persians moreso than the ideology they profess.

if I had to be concise I'd say while I like Arab/middle eastern/Persian culture I'm not a fan of Islam as an ideology.

and to be clear my issues are not at all connected to the >muh barbarism muh women stuff

You're right, I rescind. That is the same as factory farming. Are you also against that?

>muh FOX news
Wanna know how I know you're just virtue signalling?

Why have heresy when you can have the original? Check out your local Orthodox Church!

I was born in the US and I don't think national identity should have anything to do with serious religious positions.

Hmmm thank you! :D

/pol/ was a mistake.

Definitely.

I've read the Qur'an and Sunnah and come to the conclusion that there is no God but God and Muhammad is the Prophet of God. That's all it takes to be a Muslim. But because I'm unfamiliar with the detailed history after Muhammad's death and the different theological schools that arose afterwards, I think I need to read more to get more guidance on the specifics. In the general sense though, it's not impossible to find yourself in Islam.

Muhammad's story is goofy as fuck and less believable than that of Joseph Smith
Mormonism is much more patrician and edgy than Islam is.

Sorry, I'm not a polytheist.

This is really constructive and interesting. Thanks user!

>I'm not a polytheist.

Islam is the Slave Mentality turned up to 11
I can't imagine why anyone who wasn't forced into it by birth would convert unless they were hopelessly ignorant or hopelessly delusional

Islam is much older than Judaism.
Judaism came about once Judea was formed and the religion had to become insular, tribalistic, and ethnocentric. Was Adam a jew? Was Noah a jew? But "the jews" as we know them weren't even a thing at the time. Adam, Noah, Enoch, etc. were Muslims, meaning they followed Islam--submission to 1 God. The primordial faith.

>becoming a fedora
>wasting your time hating god and mocking religion
>never feeling the love of God
>thinking you know anything about science after a few episodes of Cosmos

rubbish
did you have a talk with one of those "Islam awareness" booths they have at uni to sucker in gullible idiots looking for purpose in their empty lives?

the only "love of god" you'll feel as a Muslim is a sore anus when brother Mehmet bums you after dark since you can't get any pussy.

I was an atheist before reverting to Islam.

atheists are just proddies in denial
either way its a step down
youtube.com/watch?v=8-EfW7gYzns

even worse lol
please tell me what your rationale was

I learned about this through my own research. But in any case, it doesn't matter where I got this information. Stop making assumptions about who you think I am and just try looking at Islam as an idea in itself. If a muslim annoyed you, don't take it up with the entire religion.

as I said before I've looked into Islam itself extensively, as a faith, as a political system, as a people's history

it doesn't attract me at all as a religion and frankly anyone who honestly falls for this sort of rubbish must be in a pretty dire state or otherwise harbouring a deep desire for something to dominate them.

considering you're just spouting tired cult propaganda I can't imagine you've researched very extensively.

read the Bhagavad Gita, the Upanishads, the Dhammapada, Tao Te Ching and Zen poetry.
will do your mind far better than lumbering through the mind desert that is Islam.

here's the librevox recording of the Dhammapada
youtube.com/watch?v=cD6TCxizFjs

I realized how strange reality is and how little we actually know about it. As an atheist, I would look down at religious people, yet what do I actually know about quantum mechanics or the beginning of life? What even the best scientists know is still insufficient to explain the whole story. I thought I might be a Deist or Agnostic or something like that and for a time I was. Then I started watching online lectures by western Muslim converts (Abdal Hakim Murad, Hamza Yusuf, Dr. Jeffrey Lang, etc.), and started reading the Qur'an and Sunnah. It really moved me into belief. Seriously, you should read it.

The way I see it, I'm an agnostic Theist. I don't claim to KNOW anything. But this is a belief I choose to have and I believe it fully and follow the mandates of generosity, charity, prayer and submission to God.

Yeah, it's ok if you don't believe in Islam. I'm not imposing this belief on anyone, I just asked for some book recommendations, dude.

I appreciate the Tao Te Ching greatly already but haven't read the rest of these books. I definitely will look into them. I don't agree with Buddhism or Taoism but I respect your right to practice that if you want. I won't mock your faith or question your mental state and wouldn't want you to mock or question mine either.

>it's a suburban pretend-Buddhist postures episode

>Then I started watching online lectures by western Muslim converts
mostly propaganda
these people are the kind of people I mentioned before, desperate for order to be forced upon them.
I'm not an atheist but God is not something to "submit" yourself to or lower yourself.
when you focus too much on the "surface" aspects, on ritual, you open yourself to confusion and degradation. this is how Islam perpetuates itself, regular daily submission through ritualised prayer, repetition of ayah over and over, fasting and denial of the self in order to create stress and establish order.
for a military life I can see its use but to cultivate a mind it is poison.

I'd say instead of jumping into this madhouse read more on theology and philosophy in general.

jumping into the first ideology that "grabs" you is a very bad sign and how so many kids get involved with such cults, especially with such little research.

When you realize the universe doesn't revolve around you, and you look up at the stars and realize how small you are, you'll find yourself with an immense humility towards something greater than yourself.

By the standards of this degenerate, egocentric, materialistic culture, anything that doesn't satisfy your desires or make yourself out to be the "master of your own destiny" is automatically considered "Slave Mentality."

How unfortunate.

So why are they so set on destroying his character?

Checked

>everyone is stupid but me

You're wrongly assuming that I'm jumping in head-first without knowing anything about Islam or other religions or ideologies. You're also trying to psychoanalyze muslim converts and muslims in general. This is really patronizing stuff.

The way you're imagining Islam as this super fundamentalist, intense fasting, self-denial, praying excessively, etc. is wrong. Islam isn't fanaticism.

Here you go OP
warosu.org/lit/thread/S4508761

no mentalities which enforce a slave like sense of being are slave mentalities
Islam is chief of them all.
everything about it is designed to wear down the mind and create submission to the group and to God.

I look at the stars and see the void, beautiful and awesome but unable to think and contemplate except through me as I am as much a part of the void as the largest stars, yet for all their energy they can never for an instant appreciate the simple beauties of life.

Islam denies life, it denies the body and the mind of man, offering instead the fantasy of "another" life in reward for your submission and relinquishment of both thought and strength to Allah. in Islam you are nothing, you are a servant of God, you are denied the abilities, pleasures, and suffering granted to you by the true God who ultimately is you insofar as there even is a "you"
no pretending, unlike Mehemet Jr here I've studied for years and spent time in a Buddhist temple enough to know the finer aspects of what it means for me. Beyond that they won;t kill me if I disagree or change my mind.
I just find Islam so objectionable as a faith.

also Muhammad was less reliable than Joseph smith as far as I'm concerned from the historical side

>no bro I'm a buddhist for real
>recommends the whitest of asian religious texts outside of their context within religious frameworks
Yeah okay, man.

You're every make believe white """buddhist""" ever. And you're all obsessed with Islam for some reason. I suspect it's because you're rebelling against daddy's christianity and Islam is a comfy stand-in for it.

>Islam denies life
>Buddhist
>Doesn't like Islam because "in Islam you are nothing"
>But Buddhism is great

Jesus

not sure what you mean by the "whitest" or if that is supposed to mean something negative
I have no "guilt" or shave from my ethnicity and don't see why anyone should have.

everything I mentioned is easy to find, great for introductions, and 100x more interesting philosophically than the Quran

I can't really say I'm a Buddhist
if anything my faith has become mix of catholic and Indian ideas, but I live in a Buddhist country and visit the temple regularly.

this is why you should read more if you belive this

far from it
I hold Christianity in much higher esteem but feel its been far too tainted by political/ethnic rivalries and dogmatic organizations to really "hold" me.

the ideas you will find in Christian writings are again much more profound than anything in Islam.

They say Islam is evil and forces people to believe, yet I'm here, a young Muslim with an open mind and you, a Buddhist (stereotyped as peaceful/openminded/inclusive/accepting) are just being condescending and trying to push your own belief.

It's ok if we disagree. You can be a Buddhist, I can be a Muslim. It's okay. I have my faith, you have yours. It's in the Qur'an. This wasn't a thread about how valid or invalid my religion is. This was supposed to be about a book recommendation.

Btw, I'm very grateful to the ones who did contribute good recommendations for what I was looking for.

>folk catholic buddhist

You're Alan Watts?

Muslims act like a plague
thankfully the country I live has none but in nearby nations they have become a major issue despite their small numbers.
frankly I don't have much tolerance for their belligerent attitude and neither do many other people here.

You do not know much about Islam, then. Yes, it calls for submission to God's will, but that is not a negation of the self and is in fact a liberation. Take the fall of Satan from an Islamic perspective; he refuses to bow to Adam when the other angels do. Now in commentaries supplied by Maulana Muhammad Ali, this is symbolic of the paths of Islam; angels, symbolizing external nature- bow to man, but Satan - man's internal nature as part of the natural world - does not. His liberation lies in two paths, mastery and harmony of this world under the will of Allah (hence it is world-affirming) and the internal mastery of the soul, which leads to the mysticism and transcendent spirituality found in Sufism.
And where is man denied pleasure in Islam? Only on holy days, like in Ramadan, and even then sex is permitted at night [2 185].
You have a personal stigma against Islam, and must give up this attachment. I suggest starting with the Quran with some good commentaries and continuing with Sufi poets.

Hmm ok sorry for existing I suppose? You just said you're intolerant and keep being really insulting for no reason. Whatever insights Buddhism has given you, I strongly recommend you go deeper into your belief.

If there is no "self" then there are no muslims to be afraid of, and there is no "other" to despise. And if life and desire is suffering, then your disdain of Muslims and satisfaction at being away for them is all a farce. You'll never reach nirvana if you keep this up.

LMAO
Brainlet detected
I sure hope you've read both testaments

>He thinks the Koran and hadiths predate the Torah?
>He thinks the Medina Desert madness fan fiction is more true

Google wants to auto-correct hadiths to jihadists LMAO

>Sunni
Reactionaries, barbarians, terrorists
>Shia
Freedom fighters, enlightened leaders, progressives

>Sunni
>Shia

fixed that for you :)