>age
>location
>what are you currently reading and how do you like it

24 Maryland

On Conics book III, Apollonius
Progress and Poverty book VI, George

Book III of On Conics is by far the most complex, difficult thing I've ever read.

George is just verbose a la Mill.

Eastern Seaboard

The Domination Trilogy by S.M. Stirling. Quite

nearly 20
new zealand
the sound & the fury

it's curious. it started off as a disappointment but it's getting very interesting.

toronto
babylon's ashes

p cool, i like the whole volatile chess board that's the solar system
i'm used to holden being insufferable
show bobbie a shit & that's for sure
kind of sick of space though, maybe I shouldn't have dived into it right after red rising trilogy

109 years old
OPs house
OPs diary
Its very cringy and it seems that he likes to describe himself as a gigantic faggot

Nice try fbi

>age

>location
Small town in Florida

>what are you currently reading and how do you like it
Heller - Something Happened
Just started but its also a reread so I know its a phenomenal book, easily his best. It takes much of the style of Catch-22 but with much more sophistication, and satirizes the mundane life of the typical middle-class American.

William Rhoden - The Forty Million Dollar Slave
Also just started and its about what I imagined so far. There are some interesting sports history anecdotes I was unaware of, and mostly cheap, poorly articulated attacks against the lack of diversity in positions of power in the sports industry. I'll keep at it for a bit, but if I'm being honest I will probably end up dropping it for the next non-fiction on my list, Howard Gardener's Frames of Mind.

21 TX

"The Ego and His Own". I really like it, but i now get upset when I see spook memes being an used wrong.

why does this matter

harrius potter - latin translation of HP, trying to practice language. It's fine, but the vocab frustrates me because it's so different from classical

also

Borges' Labyrinths. Really comfy. Would recommend. Like a less fun, more intellectual Calvino so far.

NY, USA
Anna Karenin (inb4 "entry level" etc.)
I dig it. As soon as you think Tolstoi is portraying a character with sympathy, the arch-snarkiness comes down like a million ton shit-hammer. Reading it, I feel a strange mixture of elation and contempt

Bavaria
Kafka

ATL GA

Portrait of the Artist as a young man

Next Level

sweden
Just finished submission, starting notes from the underground tomorrow

What's the difference between De Sade and Stirner's philosophy in your opinion?

Germany
Magic Mountain by Mann when I'm home and have tmie to dive into it, also Notes from Underground when I'm on the way somewhere, I love both

Was liest du von Kafka?

Iowa
Tropic of Cancer - It's pretty funny. I enjoy it.
The Elementary forms of Religious Life - I'm supposed to be reading Suicide for another class, but I found this to be more interesting.

Sweden
The Knight by Gene Wolfe
finished re-reading the Count of Monte Cristo a few days ago.

>Die Verwandlung

Heut Abend erst angefangen.
Noch nie was von Kafka bisher gelesen.

>Heller - Something Happened
I only ever read Catch 22 and haven't heared any good about his other work.
Do you like it?
Would you recommend it?

NY
Dürrenmatt and just about to start Potestas Clavium from Shestov.

East
The Rhetoric of Fiction - Wayne Booth

I'm barely ankle deep in the first chapter, so it's hard to say how I feel about it. Before that I read Prose's Reading Like a Writer and Gardner's The Art of Fiction, both interesting perspectives on what makes stories successful.

Nova Scotia
The Middle Ages - Johannes Fried
Great revisionist history.

>22
>DC
>Three Early Stories by J.D. Salinger

Ohio
Slaughterhouse 5
Just started it and like it so far. Just read cats cradle and really liked that.

I find it to be terrific. It is a bit more of a "demanding" read, with a higher vocabulary and much more convoluted diction, but it is well worth the effort in my opinion.

I would also highly recommend his Picture This. It is a very different kind of book. It is largely narrated by the Aristotle in the Rembrandt's painting now known as Aristotle Contemplates a Bust of Homer while Rembrandt is painting it. You are taken back and forth between the golden ages of Greece, Holland, and the U.S., while Heller satorizes things like war, democracy, and capitalism.

Oh, but I wouldn't recommend Closing Time, his sequel to Catch-22. It isn't the worsr thing I've ever read, and it does even have some moments I really enjoyed, but it felt like a cheap attempt to cash in on the Catch-22 fame in his old age.

Colorado
Les Miserables

Pretty good so far. Just finished the section on Waterloo.

>Aristotle Contemplates a Bust of Homer

That is a very interesting painting

Thanks for the pretty in depth answer.

Yeah, only one I heard I really shouldn't even consider reading at all by Heller.

Commiefornia
The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury

I'm only about 4 stories in but I'm enjoying it.
Short story collections I've noticed can be a really entertaining affair.

>25
>Central VA
>Too Like The Lightning by Ada Palmer

It's amazing. It's like future history. It's set in 2400 in a utopian society of elected communities but they're all obsessed with Voltaire and Aristotle and Diderot. It's written in an 18th century style and the genders are super weird and there's a priest class that has to counsel without one religion but rather all and there's a murderer and political intrigue and and and

It's incredible. Written by a historian, too.

>19
>literal Siberia
>Miller's Introduction to Contemporary Metaethics
Fuck the greeks meme, big dogs maintain their opinions relevant and sound. Toss the Plato and read this shit instead.

Is Siberia beautiful in the Summer?

Nah, it's much prettier in the winter.

Cambridge
The Melancholy of Resistance by Laszlo Krasznahorkai - Only 65 pages in but I like it a lot so far. Not as powerful as Seiobo There Below but it's very interesting and at least more cohesive than Seiobo There Below was. More of a novel than a collection of thematically connected prose pieces. So far, anyway.
The Unsubscriber by Bill Knott - He's a very clever poet and pretty pessimistic, which I like in poetry, but for some reason I haven't really clicked with him yet.
Selected Poems by Frank O'Hara - I love Frank O'Hara. I've read Lunch Poems and Meditations in an Emergency so much of this book is familiar to me but I can read him over and over. It's excellent.
New & Selected Poems by Thomas Lux. I had this recommended to me about two days before Thomas Lux died by a personal friend of his. It's excellent, Lux manages to write about anything other than himself (for the most part) while still evoking emotion, something I think many contemporary poets fail to do today (or all they do is write about themselves).
The Dreamsongs by John Berryman - Good lord, what a book. Berryman is right up there with Frank O'Hara for me. Funny, sad, bizarre, and sometimes impenetrable.

I finished Senselessness by Horacio Castellanos Moya two days ago and would recommend it. Think Thomas Bernhard but more vulgar and from El Salvador (and not as good of a prose stylist, but to expect anyone to match Bernhard is, I think, foolish).

make sure to read Sirens of Titan

btw
>26
>Chicago
>Lies my teacher told me
pretty good. a little bland coming from a person who mostly reads fiction

Otah Gunga
Dragon Drive volume 2

west coast
was reading siddhartha, but dropped it to play morrowind

>sweden
>submission

poetry

>26
>Veeky Forums
>Fanged Noumena
>Hyperstition terminates barren realities; the Machine is necessary in all possible worlds, all lines converge at singularity, QED, anselm was right
>ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

oakland ca
celine - north

get on my lvl

O shit m8, I'm 19 from Atlanta and Portrait is one of my favorites. Do you go to school here? I'm at Tech

Currently reading The 42nd Parallel. I'm a fan, it's very comfy. Like a more communist Steinbeck that flits back and forth between multiple stories with different types of writing thrown in in short bursts between chapters.

>20.
>Australia.
>Blood Meridian.

It's shit.

>18
>New Hampshire
>Just finished the Road, just started Wild Sheep Chase
I loved most of the Road, not a huge fan of the ending. No opinion on Wild Sheep Chase, considering I'm 30 pages in.

Brasil
The Garden of Eden, by Ernest Hemingway

Canada
Just finished resurrection by Tolstoy. Loved it. Made the whole prison system seem useless.

>Pic very much related.

SoCal
Don Quixote, Moby Dick, The Recognitions, Rabelais, a lot of Shakespeare. Spring is usually the season when I reread my favourite books.

I feel, no: I know Did Passos was criminally underrated and glossed-over for the whole second-half of the 20th century. Such a shame, he made a big splash and then tossed aside by the greats that followed.

>18
>houston
>story of the eye - bataille

im nearing the end and my god is it evil in the best ways possible. very interesting exploration of sexual taboos and crazy enough to get a reaction out of me. wish it was longer

I wouldn't even call myself cultured, I just read more than what's memed around here.

>Age
>Location
Sweden
>Reading
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's a pretty enjoyable read, very fast paced.

>nearly 20

Only a teen would add nearly. Trust me, your best days are behind you.

I live in florida. Want to hang out?

New York
Physics by Aristotle. After 314 pages of slogging through his logic, an exploration into the philosophical principles of nature is a welcome reprieve. It's definitely not as outmoded as the title might suggest. There are times when it's even beautiful.

UK, West Yorkshire
Aristotle's Poetics.

It's pretty insightful in tragic plays and offers some accessible advice as to the best ways to create a play. A useful little guideline for a budding writer.

>31
>Forlí ( Italy)
>Infinite jest
I hope reading this could permit me to get my shit togheter

Are you SURE you're not me?

>25
>NY
>Ulysses
I love it. It's insane how much depth he puts into what is an 18-hour time period. It makes me think more closely about my day, live more in the present moment, really take everything in. The prose are beautiful too. I think the hazy "plot" is pretty emblematic about the spontaneity that many people live with throughout their day.

Somewhere in Canada

Foucaults Pendulum by Umberto Eco
I'm having fun with it, good debrief, for my Robert Anton Wilson phase. The way the book devolves from followable narrative to schizo rambling as the book progressing is my favorite part

>Sweden
>just finished Submission

HEY GUYS SO FIRST OF ALL LET ME SAY THAT I'M FROM CAMBRIDGE, MKAY, AND SECOND OF ALL I JUST LURRRV READING *HOLDS UP BOOK* HEEHE. SO THESE ARE THE SEVERAL BOOKS I'M READING AT THE MOMENT (AT THE SAME TIME HEHE!) SO GUYS IF YOU COULD JUST REPLY AND VALIDATE MY OH SO INTELLIGENT SELF (HOOHOO) I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT *SNAPS SUSPENDERS*

>sweden
>submission

not a novel set in the future for you is it, user?

my nigga

>23
>yurop
>Road To Wigan Pier
>its dank m8

Kek. Sorry I'm not red-pilled just yet boys.

Midwest(collage town,not in hicksville)
The metamorphosis by Kafka
Really enjoyed it, can't wait to write my paper on it

sweden malmö
rilke book of hours
it's brilliant, nothing like it

Guter Anfang, wenn es dir gefällt dann ließ den Prozeß

You seem a bit rustled.

Mexico
The Elementary Particles

Pretty much everything about it, i see a lot of myself in both Bruno and Michel, the time jumps are neatly done, the way Houellebecq starts writing about physics and chem and rambles about the evolution of morals in socity through the latter half of the XX century is a nice gimmick, don't mind the sex stuff, i don't see why it was controversial at any time, it is pretty tame.

UK
the great transformation

18 Illinois
Starting cambridges three volume collection of Descartes.
I've dabbled with philosophy for a year now, and have decided to thoroughly study the subject, starting with the distinction between ancient and modern philosophy. I'm hoping to finish the likes of Descartes, Leibniz, Hume, Berkeley, and Locke before the next school year begins. For those knowledgeable on the topic- any tips for retaining knowledge? Efficiency is not a necessity; I want to understand these men and their works, in their entirety- as having read brief abstracts hitherto has led me to an area of frustration.

Portsmouth, England

Working my way through a collection of Oscar Wilde scripts atm, pretty funny way to kill an evening

USA
Just finished Dante's purgatory, is it even worth readin paradise, I'm not feeling it

>he doesn't like the purgatorio

c'mon man. it's not worth reading if you aren't going to get anything out of it.

Chile

Just got a collection of short stories by Julio Cortázar, on an user's recommendation.

Ireland

Gulliver's travels (reppin the home boy Swift)

wew

>22
>Desolate rural America
>Hunger by Knut Hamsun
It's pretty good, I find the main character interesting. He reminds me of someone out of a Dostoevsky novel.

Whoa. Another Iowan on Veeky Forums. Weird.

Spain
Hopscotch by Cortázar. Gonna start to read some short stories to really get into short fiction.

Budapest, Hungary
Reading Submission by Michel Houellebecq, about 100 pages in and enjoying it a lot.

Italy

Kerouac's "On The Road". I feel it aged badly, I feel I'd have liked it if I was 26 the year my father was born. Now it's like the book is just namedropping cities and constantly introducing new female character to fuck the protagonist and then go away.

I just don't get it. Hope it gets better.

killself

Pennsylvania
Life of Johnson by Boswell
Pretty good

29- East Midlands, UK

I'm reading the Stephen King short story collection, Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

It's mixed. The Dune and Ur are great stories, but some are bang average and some more are just dogshit.

I'm finding "The world is horrible and then you die" stories to be less appealing as I get older. Mostly because it's true and I don't like being reminded of the fact.

>Yeah, only one I heard I really shouldn't even consider reading at all by Heller

I mean, like I said it isn't the work book ever, but it does seem a bit forced and like a return to the more gimmick-dependent style of Catch-22 rather than what he did in later works. It really does have some fantastic parts. It wouldn't be a total waste of time to read it, but I certainly wouldn't make it a priority, either.

Kansas

The Slavs in European History by Francis Dvornik.

It's very detailed on slavic history, their early beginnings to the rise of the Bohemian empire, Poland; the rise of Bulgaria and Serbia etc. It's very technical and lengthy. I'm only on the early beginnings of Muscovy in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Only short story I've read of his is The Pedestrian. I really enjoyed it. Which stories have you read and would you recommend them?

Hey
22 fellow east midlands bro
Blood Meridian

Where in Florida are you?

Croatia
Myths from Mesopotamia

I've only just started it, so can't really say much. Interesting how some Greek and biblical figures seem to be based on Sumerian ones, though.

Scotland
Death and the Penguin

18 Ohio
Manifesting Minds: A Review of Psychedelics in Science, Medicine, Sex and Spirituality

really fires those synapses doesn't it

New England
White Noise
Heinrich is fucking annoying

22 Prairies Canada
Crime and Punishment
Really the first Russian lit I've read, also the first crime/thriller book too. It's pretty interesting so far about 200pgs in. I like Raskolnikov's insights, it's kinda funny.

Melbourne, Aus

>Night Soul and Other Stories (McElroy)
Pretty good so far. Not mind-blowing like his novels, but nice enough to just dip my feet back in between other reads. Not a recommended starting point.
> 4 3 2 1 (Auster)
The first 'chapter' completely sucked me in, and I had tears in my eyes, but as the narrative strands have become further fragmented and distended, it's becoming difficult to keep track of which Ferguson is in which life; it's becoming harder to stay as invested. Will be curious to see if this risky maneuver pays off.
> The Ark Codex (Calamari Press)
I have no clue what's going on, but the words sound good, and the images look good. Transmedial poetry this be.
> The Dream Songs (Berryman)
No 'song' has really got stuck in my head yet, but they've been fun so far. Remarkably readable. Through lunch breaks, Berryman's made the last few workdays quite tolerable.
> Complete Poems (cummings)
Fuckin' A this is the most entertaining thing to read aloud that I've read aloud in a long-ass time. I feel like a schizophrenic chorus when I'm squeezing asides into vertically mangled words half a page long, and it's great.
> A (Zukofsky)
Difficult and trying, but some of the best poetic moments I've experienced in my life have been in this work. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get to the 24th canto; was hoping I would be able to find a recording somewhere, but no luck so far...

>20
>US, NJ
>Annals & Histories by Tacitus
It's aight, the sections on Nero are pretty neat.

Dreamsongs are excellent my man, song 14 is fantastic