Hi Veeky Forums if you save a thumbnail of a thumbnail and keep saving the end result will you create zero point energy?

Hi Veeky Forums if you save a thumbnail of a thumbnail and keep saving the end result will you create zero point energy?

Depends on thunbnailing algorithm

eventually the thumbnail will be low enough rez that it will be unchanged after saving its thumbnail.

How bout the Veeky Forums one?

nope, that quality will continue to degrade continually. (resolution will stay constant tho)

I shall prove this by experiment ITT

we seem to have reached stable resolution / file size.

I content that image quality will continue to degrade

I imagine you'll just get normal jpeg degradation, interesting thread though.

yes, since evertime the lossy jpg compression algorithm is applied, some information is lost and artefacts will eventually become more noticable (think of mp3s that have been reencoded to mp3 several times over, they sound atrocious)

that is assuming Veeky Forums does apply the compression algorthm every time and generate a thumbnail even if the image is already small enough. but I havent had a "this image has already been posted" message as of yet, and comparing earlier images gives (very slight) visual difference

>I have nothing better to do than this

Write a paper on efficient compression algorithms and maybe you'll finally fulfill your dreams.

Op here I have shitty eyes is the image looking worse?

great thread

>125x91
can you fuck off

ok I finally got the "duplicate file exists" message. here a comparison of
in that order. the difference are only very slight. I assume some floating point stuff went on (jpg compression works by doing cosine transform, rounding coeffs to integers and throwing high freqs away. High freqs would have been gone after the first pass, so only weird floating point / trigonometric bullshittery can explain the differences in the pictures)

i thumbnailed your mom

so apparently I was wrong and thumbnails wont degrade indefinitely but stabilize. of course I only tested one image but my audacious assumption is that other images would eventually stabilize as well

I fucked urs

>this thread

Wouldn't this be easier to test by using a specialized compression website?

presumably each site uses its own special-snowflake thumbnailing techniqe.

i am proceeding to MD5 hash all these, so we can confirm when it is not compressed anymore

not that I want to stop you from doing it, but I assume all should have unique md5 hashes, since Veeky Forums doesnt let you post duplicate pictures

>Veeky Forums doesnt let you post duplicate pictures

elaborate more, please

just try uploading the exact same picture twice and report back to us. I dont know the details, Veeky Forums isnt opensource I think