Physical books or e-readers? Why? Which of the two appears more pretentious?

Physical books or e-readers? Why? Which of the two appears more pretentious?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/
gutenberg.org/
reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/2oftbu/guide_the_idiot_proof_guide_to_downloading_ebooks/
mega.nz/#F!B4dB2SzQ!h_pMC30v2a_y31iD0dy0sg
mega.nz/#F!MQBRHBJA!L_on3h-XUrtbc719UaMygw
mega.nz/#F!L4shxIbJ!PB8kkWo_B3eUlZ7US0dhpQ
mega.nz/#F!0F5GXTjS!oGdz8UP5JbcleNMy6YKLvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they each have their value. neither is pretentious unless YOU are

>they each have their value
>doesn't list reasons

ereader:
pro's
>you can store a shitload of books on them and always have them with you
>you can read in the dark without additional lamps and shit
>if you want a book, you can download it in an instant and start reading
>you can search the books
>you can download dictionairs and translators and usem them quicker than physically search trough them
>ebooks usually cost less than their physical copies
>you even do something for the environement by saving paper
>you can read on different devices (pc, ereader, phone). this way you almost always will be able to get to your books somehow

con's
>they can run out of battery

real books:

pro's
>there isn't a screen shining in your face whilst reading
>infinite battery
>you can hand them down once you finished them
>you can display them on your shelf and feel superior to the people visiting you
>you can find cheap used ones
>some smell nice
>it's less finicky to hold a real book than an ereader

con's
>heavy
>take up a lot of space
>new ones cost more than their ebook siblings
>depending on where you live and what you want, it can take a while till they arrive and you can start reading
>you can't read on different devices. if you forgot your book, you're fucked

i'm sure there's more, but that'll do pig

Use both. E-readers are great for trying books out for a bit and see if you want to get further. But i still feel like a physical book is the ultimate pleasure of a reader.

All right, I guess I'll purchase a few physical copies in addition to reading on my ereader, to ostentatiously display my accumulation of rather obscure books with literary merit.

If they had solar power, waterproofing, no DRM, no WiFi or other unnecessary additions (minimalist), compatibility with many files (PDF, Djvu, etc), open source software and hardware, then I'd consider exclusively using an e-reader. But that'll never happen.

See, the reason why I prefer ereaders to physical books is due to the built-in dictionary feature.

What do you physical book readers do when you encounter a word you're unfamiliar with? Do you simply ignore the word and rely on context, or actually look the word up? If the latter, do you open a physical copy of a dictionary, or do you search the word in question on the Internet?

not op but i do a quick search on my phone

They're amazing gizmos.

It's easy as hell to convert e-books into compatible formats.

Why?
They're more convient then physical books.

Why Not?
They lack the romance of a physical book.

I pick the physical book everyday of the week.

Question for the Kindle users: what do you people have in the bottom of the screen? The location, time remaining, nothing? I always flip around these and then continue reading with nothing there, I don't know why, it's like my eyes glance to the location all the time of I have that activated.

every day*

oops, didn't mean for that typo teehee

Physical books are superior, ESPECIALLY if you are a student/love to make markings .

you can mark and note all you want on an ereader. your argument is invalid

In a very strict manner. I can mark in any shape, form and color to normal book.

>not having a library of e-readers which contain one book a piece

absolute plebian

you an faggot if you need to do that to your books anyways

>booklets, when will they learn

feels good being superior

E-Book is clearly superior, picking an actual book is just snobbery.

Holding a book hurts my fucking arms anyway because those Russian novels are like 1k in pages.

>tfw when you thought they were 1k in vodka

>muh beeks that can't be used for notes.
brainlet? brainlet.

I use ebooks for shit that isn't high importance.

>I use ebooks for shit that isn't high importance.
such as? how do you determine when to buy physical copies of books?

I use both. I also regularly get PDFs of books on my desktop pc and read them in Acrobat, which is probably the least desirable option of the three but still totally viable. As far as e-reader vs physical book-

1. A sincere reader shouldn't find either pretentious as they are both means to an end (the content of the book).
2. Non-readers will think you are "pretentious" for reading, period. Especially in public. I only read in public spaces when I am somewhere out of necessity (e.g. getting food to go at a restaurant, getting my car fixed, etc.)

Having said that, e-readers are infinitely more practical, convenient, and cost effective.

+read in the dark
+tap to define, study your defined words later with flashcards
+get books for free
+don't have to wait for delivery / drive to a bookstore
+easier to hold than any book 300+ pgs
+adjust font & font size
+saves space if you live in an apartment, dorm, etc.
+x-ray feature to keep track of characters and so on
+extremely long battery life, effectively a non-issue

>2. Non-readers will think you are "pretentious" for reading, period. Especially in public. I only read in public spaces when I am somewhere out of necessity (e.g. getting food to go at a restaurant, getting my car fixed, etc.)
How common are non-readers, anyway? Has society gotten to the point where reading is now considered pretentious? Hilarious.

page number. I only look at it when I pick it up or put it down.

Nothing. Page number is irrelevant and everything else is annoying.

I actually only read very large physical books, because the %done or location drives me insane, and sometimes feel like I am not retaining much with an ereader.

Is it possible to get books you already own on E-reader? would be cool

I don't get the question?
People pay for books on ereaders?

>Solar power
They have so much battery life that this wouldn't be worth it. It'll probably be done soon anyway if you want it that badly.
>waterproofing
KoboH20 or something like that is waterproof
>no drm
It's easy to work around on my Kobo. Just drag the Epubs onto it while it's plugged into my computer
>wifi
never used it
>compatability
Reads everything
>software
why? It's for reading books?

Im confused.

Is putting paperbacks you already own ON your e-reader standard? I assumed you had to buy everything

How many books are free on ereader?

gen.lib.rus.ec/
gutenberg.org/
reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/2oftbu/guide_the_idiot_proof_guide_to_downloading_ebooks/
mega.nz/#F!B4dB2SzQ!h_pMC30v2a_y31iD0dy0sg
mega.nz/#F!MQBRHBJA!L_on3h-XUrtbc719UaMygw
mega.nz/#F!L4shxIbJ!PB8kkWo_B3eUlZ7US0dhpQ
mega.nz/#F!0F5GXTjS!oGdz8UP5JbcleNMy6YKLvg

>the romance

mobilism and soulseek and workerbee on tpb as well

Thanks user

>no DRM
Why does the belief that kobo or kindle have drm live on? It obviously doesnt on the hardware side, and on the actual book side you download a 100kb addon to calibre which insta-strips it, even if you buy and return the book to amazon

I use my iPhone and 99.99% of you who read this won't bother trying to read on your phones but the 0.01% who do will quickly understand why I prefer it

What did she mean by that?

Incredibly common.

>Which of the two appears more pretentious?
>appears
>pretentious

Degrading others by their appearance is 100% the observer's mistake. Maybe stop being such a shitty person and acknowledge people other than you have preferences of their own. There is no correct answer. This thread is poor bait.

>as long as you don't read and are a posturing piece of shit like me, we can be friends.
Honestly though that was something that bothered me when I was younger. I've since learned to live with it.

>23

Once womyn have worked for a few years, and had men shit on them and ignore them and cut them down a few notches, they become much more fun and bearable.

i use real books for:
-classics
-history books
-any book i will reread in its entirety many times
ereader for:
-newer books
-pulp

this sounds about right.

I like to make annotations in paper books. Don't need to do that with cryptozoorotica

I like you, you're my friend from now on.

I have a dictionary app on my phone for when this happens.
If that fails, I resort to the internet.

Seems like you need a few notches cut yourself.

No idea, please enlighten us