Why are american universities easier than european or asian ones? (in STEM, of course)

but at the same time the best universities are located there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fKyoSS3bwjA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its easier to learn from good teachers.

it fucks me up knowing teachers have such a big impact on a student's grade

>Asian university
>not easy

Trust me, Asian universities are easy as hell, at least in China. My wife is Chinese and while highschool life is stressful in terms of expectations and workload, university is a time to relax a bit. It's almost impossible to fail, and employers only care about your certificate and guanxi with them, not your marks.

I'm Canadian, so I assume that my university education is comparable to American ones.

>I'm Canadian, so I assume that my university education is comparable to American ones.

That depends if you're in Quebec or not. They have a college thing called "cegep" which is basically university-level. So when they get to university it gets easier.

Why would they be easier? Undergrad course content is pretty standardized world wide.

americans start college learning calc 1, europeans start college learning pde

first 2 years of american uni = most other school's high schools because american public education is garbage
the real value in a burger uni (besides the quality of students) is the last 2 years + grad level

American universities are for brainlets. They don't admit you based on your test scores, they admit you based on your personal life story. (If you apply to the Physics program at Harvard without knowing anything about Physics, but you volunteered in a charity or something, then you're gonna get accepted)

There really isn't any difference. When you are an undergrad, you learn the exact same standard shit wherever you go.

Youre conflating quality of a university as measured by its rankings with the difficulty of its content. The top 20 unis in the world are america+oxford/cambridge because the top talent in the world does their research there, not because its somehow a better educational experience. Talk to literally anyone who has a brain in graduate+ stem and they will tell you that going to a decent uni for your undergrad and then going to a top school for grad+ is superior.

Its particularly common in Canada because our unis are good and vastly cheaper than american equivalents, eg I went to Uwaterloo for my undergrad and then did graduate work at columbia.

you don't apply for a specific major at Harvard you fucking brainlet

MIT has a short essay prompt where you write about your intended major. You don't actually declare a major until 2nd year though.

Yes but that's MIT, not Harvard. And you can just lie on your application

Money of course.
It's a myth that USA is free competition, the government gives companies huge sums of money each year, under the alias of military needs. When US blames EU of giving Airbus too much aid, EU fires back with the accusation that Boeing gets money through the military.
This started during the cold war.
Some of that money slushing around ends up with universities.

Boeing is just one example of course, this phenomena is much larger than that.
It's no coincidence that USA spends more on its military than the next 20 largest combined, it's not just for defence, it's the world's hugest pork barrel circus.

Once you understand it's all fake - life becomes simple.

?

This isn't true for good stem universities. Go to Carnagie Mellon or Georgia Tech and pretty much all of the freshman have taken AP Calc AB, which is basically Calc 1.

youtu.be/fKyoSS3bwjA