Is Calculus 2 really such a difficult subject? My class started with 35 students and now there are only 9 students

Is Calculus 2 really such a difficult subject? My class started with 35 students and now there are only 9 students

senior majoring in pure mathematics here. calc 2 is kind of a "high point" in math where everything after is easier. there's a study saying that if your iq is high enough to do calc 2, then you're smart enough to do anything that you set your mind to

I can't tell if you're joking. On the off chance you aren't:
>there's a study
source tho

Calc 2 is even easier than calc 1 lol

look at feynman. he didn't have a particularly high iq, but he passed calc 2 and become one of the most prominent physicists of the 20th century

Algebra 2 is basically the gates to mathland, if you can get through it then everything past it is a piece of cake.

Arithmetic is basically the gates to mathland, if you can get through it then everything past it is a piece of cake.

Gook moot told me to tell you to stop posting lies

>class starts with 35 students
I guess your college doesn't have much funding for STEM, or a good program, so your course will be getting a bunch of shitty students.

For comparison, I go to a big STEM school and there are over 1300 students in my Calc 3 course.

>there are over 1300 students in my Calc 3 course
That sounds fucking horrendous. Going to class must be a nightmare. I have trouble already with my classes of a couple hundred.

I just took my midterm today and we had to take in a giant music hall to have enough seats.

Also the classes are separated to around 300 students per lecture (we all take our exams at the same time as mentioned above though).

sounds like you have a shitty teacher/overly difficult class

Is harder than calc1 but easier than calc3

>easier than calc3
Disagreed. Calc 3 is basically calc 1 with another axis.

No, it just has too much content.

A lot of people in calculus 2 aren't necessarily in math for the long haul, and given the nature of analytic mathematics, I can understand it being intimidating for someone who isn't genuinely interested.

I think its fair to say Calc 2 is probably the hardest math course people in non-math-intensive majors will take.

If you like the subject and understand how to be successful in a math course, its really not that bad.

Having both dyslexia and dyscalculia sucks.

>being a brainlet sucks
I figured.

No. Calc gets easier as you go on. 2 should be less difficult than 1.

Calc 2 was a bunch of series stuff that I didn't have an appreciation for at the time

>If you like the subject and understand how to be successful in a math course, its really not that bad.
Any tips on how to be successful in a math course?

I'm in Calc 1 with a 99% but I'm interested to hear.

not the person you're responding to but do lots of problems and know definitions/theorems

Do all of the practice/homework problems.
If you don't get it, do more work.
If you still don't get it, ask for help.
If you still don't get it, drop out and go back to your farm.

Honestly, the best way to learn math is literally just to do it, as autistic as that might sound to some.

For example, in calc 1, how do you learn to differentiate? Well, first you learn what a derivative is, then you learn basic methods of finding it, and then you continue to extend this to a wide range of functions.

It's entirely built onto itself. You can only get comfortable with something like that by observing the little discrepancies that arise during the process of solving different problems.You don't learn differentiation by memorizing the derivative of every function. You learn differentiation by understanding what different operations on a function do to its derivative and why they do this.

>people talking about Calc like it's hard

I really should cash in on my talent.

I can never tell what to think when I see a post walk the line of irony and seriousness this finely.

While I have no personal experience with "calculus", since I am a student in Germany, this seems very familiar to me.
We also have courses called "Analysis 1" and "Analysis 2" which (from my understanding) combines "real analysis" and "calculus".

And it really is the case that after you successfully finished your your Analysis 2 exam, everything after that is easier. Not necessarily on a conceptual level but on a "how hard is it to pass" level.

Both Analysis 1&2 are brainlet filters at our university (and probably everywhere else in Germany) and are intentionally deigned that way.
The passing rate for the final exam (the only thing on which your grade depends) was at about 50%(if I recall correctly), or even lower.

Hey! Ein anderer deutscher auf Veeky Forums

Try this out for size.

There are 4 keys on a safe. The combination is 7 keys long.

How many possible combinations of the unlock code are there?

Guten Morgen!

Hey fritz do the thing

4^7?

or am I misunderstanding something?

Safe has 4 buttons. The unlock code is a combination of those 4 buttons that is 7 button presses long. How many combos can there be?

I came out to 2401-something but it seems wrong.

There are 4 possible buttons on the first position 4 possible on the second, so 4 * 4 possible combinations for the first two buttons.

This gives 4^7 possible combinations for combinations 7 button presses long.

Then yes. Spit that out mr.roboto

All in all that makes 16384 possible combinations.

Thanks Hanz.

>being this much of a brainlet
Calculus 2 is just the 2/3 of the calculus curriculum it takes ideas from calc 1 or the first third of your book and applies them to new ideas
It’s literally chemistry of math

>he didn't have a particularly high (verbal) iq

>My class started with 35 students and now there are only 9 students
My class started with 50 now there are only 5 students.
>Tfw best grades in the class.