Hey you guys ever think about eating a coconut crab?

hey you guys ever think about eating a coconut crab?

these guys are pretty cool and i was looking at one and thinking it would probably be pretty delicious. i ended up looking it up and as it turns out that they are actually at risk of becoming extinct because pacific islanders are eating them all the time. this makes me think that they are probably pretty delicious. they can become poisonous because of certain things they eat. assuming that they eat coconuts and shit all the time that would give them a coconut type flavor? they are omnivores though so they are also known to eat small mammals like rats and cats and kittens and shit, as well as scavenge meat from dead corpses of animals and even other coconut crabs. would this have an effect on the taste? anyways

Other urls found in this thread:

tripadvisor.ie/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g294136-d1130948-i30485371-Carp_Restaurant-Koror_Koror_Island.html
youtu.be/FKOtYmA-noY
youtube.com/watch?v=O78CxqRl7NE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just a thought

apparently its a delicacy

some theorise that these guys are the responsible for the disappearance amelia earharts remains. they stashed her bones and shit away in their caves or something after eating her. just a possibility.

>it would probably be pretty delicious
I haven't had one, but yes, in fact I did read once their diet of coconut meat makes them pretty richly coconutty delicious.
This woman's post shows it is similar to stone crab prices in restaurants, damn look at her claw picture.
tripadvisor.ie/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g294136-d1130948-i30485371-Carp_Restaurant-Koror_Koror_Island.html

Since you can simmer up some seafood in a coconut milk sauce, though, you could get your coconut other ways too.

See pic. I have had these guys, land crabs. They taste like swamp muck, exactly as muddy stinky rotten rotting-fish scented mangrove muck smells when you drive or boat past it. When I was a kid, going to my grandparents street in Coral Gables, these guys covered the road so bad you didn't see the lines on the road, and you drove slowly hopefully not piercing your tires with all the crunches. It was either carloads of (mostly black) people with brown grocery bags collecting them up, or Monsanto Roundup on the pretty lawns that killed them off over the years, don't really see them anymore. They weren't delicious to people who like stone crab, dolphin, snapper, grouper, halibut, you know delicious seafood. My grandfather had to pour two concrete mixer trucks under his house to fill in crab holes around the foundation. It took all the concrete he could pour at them.

We should start breeding them in other tropical regions for food, seems like they'd be easy to raise since they eat almost anything. Perhaps the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico would work?

They're also the world's largest living land arthropod.

they are actually at risk of becoming extinct because pacific islanders are eating them all the time

sucks ass. obviously they developed on islands free of people, and now theyre easy as anything to pick up and cook. same with dodo birds. they couldnt fly and couldnt run fast and were easy pickins.

Forgot pic. They were aggressive little guys, made it hard to walk the dog.

fun fact: coconut crabs are just hermit crabs that got so big they didnt need shells anymore (or, they had to stop using shells and harden their butts because there were no more shells big enough for them)

theyre scavengers, so whatever rancid shit they ate the other day is gonna end up in their meat (im not sure why it wouldnt get filtered out in their poop? It doesnt tho.) I wouldnt bother with them. Bear grylls ate one once on an island and they taste like any other fat crab apparently

Interesting factoid! Another one along those lines, snapping turtles heads cant retract into the shell.

Hermit crabs are retardedly sensitive to long term climate fluctuations, which is why theres a fuckton of em in indonesia and on all the islands in the indian ocean but there are none in places like florida. since coconut crabs are just giant hermit crabs i doubt they would be able to adapt to the new environment.

It sucks because i would love nothing more than to have one of these as a pet/guard crab. They can fuck your whole day up if you piss them off.

man just looking at that claw makes me hungry, i love crab and lobster. if you look at some of the bigger coconut crabs, man, you could feed a family of four off of just one. fry it up in some butter and spices and whatnot

oh baby

coconut crabs actually have no natural predators except for the occasional other coconut crab. you could probably just walk up and grab that fella and he wouldn't know how to respond.

imagine the force of the claw clampin down. those things can crack coconuts and could probably fuck your shit up semi-permanently

More accurately, they're close relatives of hermit crabs, but still a separate species that is significantly larger. Young coconut crabs still carry protection on their backs like other hermit crabs, favoring hollowed out coconut shells. However, they stop doing this as adults when their own exoskeleton becomes harder.

Massachusetts coast has plenty of hermit crabs.

What they eat greatly affects their flavor. They're scavengers and will eat pretty much anything, including garbage and poison, but so do ducks. They probably have some mercury too, but then so do tuna and other large fish.

I can assure you it will not taste like coconut. It will probably be very similar to regular crab meat, which I always thought was pretty bland.

If you decide to eat one, just please be sure it's after their mating season. You probably don't want to crack one open and find millions of eggs.

youtu.be/FKOtYmA-noY

listen here bucko i have 4 of these busters i know my stuff dont correct me on my crab trivia KAY?

oh man im getin hungry

crabs are pretty neato.

as a kid we would dig them out of the beach right after the tide softened up the sand. youd see an indentation and start digging deep. it was a race between your shovel and the crab to see who got deeper first. theyre not easy to catch.

>coconut crabs are just hermit crabs
Did not know!

>Bear Grylls
Yea, I actually do trust his opinion. He's not untraveled nor an idiot. Mystery solved

>Interesting factoid! Another one along those lines, snapping turtles heads cant retract into the shell.
ROFL, okay man. Don't eat the head. It's dirty.

What the hell was the original audio of this from?

>oi m8 keep scoopin me outta here and ill pinch u in the snoot

Cuba is going to be the ultimate fun eco-travel destination if they can get rid of Castro. Ron Magill from Miami Metrozoo figures there are dozens of species undiscovered. It might be the Galapagos of the Caribbean with darwinian species evolution.

Oh wow, that closeup at 1:19 where that big guy he's holding a big claw he won in a fight. That street looks like my grandparents in the 80s. Cool video find!

>plane engine fails while crossing the ocean
>spot a nearby island to swim to
>"Oh thank god, I'm saved!"
>get mobbed by giant crabs and torn apart

Why would crabs stash the bones dude?

Coconut crabs haul things they think they can break open and eat back to their dens for luls.

>eat a shit ton of coconuts
Fuck I bet they taste so fucking good

Pretty sure all crabs are scavengers.

To hide the evidence, numbnuts.

That explains why ur mums got them

What would some crab mobster names be?

Holy shit they are huge. There must be at least 300g of meat on it.

vinny snips

don't forget the crocodiles, which can gallop and exhibit pack hunting behavior. Cuba's a wacky place.
youtube.com/watch?v=O78CxqRl7NE

Paulie the Pinch

Crabagool

what if they taste like coconuts

Why would you eat him when you can sell his all your best loot, OP?

Dodo extinction was less about direct hunting and more about egg stealing and destruction.
Same thing with those giant birds from new-zealand.

you're right about the dodos, but the moa were actively hunted for their meat. We've got whole piles of butchered and burnt bones. It looks like the Maori preferred to eat the legs.

It already is if you're not American

>so whatever rancid shit they ate the other day is gonna end up in their meat (im not sure why it wouldnt get filtered out in their poop? It doesnt tho.)
Sounds like you don't really have any idea what the fuck you're talking about and are just repeating some shit you (mis)heard someplace.

>you could probably just walk up and grab that fella and he wouldn't know how to respond.
Just don't get your fingers caught in their claws, remember they can crack open coconuts and sometimes kill cats and small dogs.

They should actually have less mercury since mercury accumulation comes from the diet of sea life.
>You probably don't want to crack one open and find millions of eggs.
Goes to show what you know. Cuisine across the globe prizes various crab eggs. In fact; the only way horseshoe crab is really worth eating is when loaded with eggs. That's aside from whether you should spare pregnant specimen for conservation purposes.

Oh I'm not saying that either weren't hunted for their meat but that egg stealing and destruction, both by humans and introduced pests contributed more to extinction. At least that's what researchers believed in stuff I've read on the topic based on records and analysis of physical evidence.

Another interesting point is how the moa extinction also led to the extinction of the largest eagles since the moa were their main prey.

Crab Louie amd Dino Dungeness

Francis Clampatso

das a big boy mon