Do you consider yourself intellectually superior to someone that is religious?

Do you consider yourself intellectually superior to someone that is religious?

I want to say no but the answer is just simply yes

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>edgy

No

>Do you consider yourself intellectually superior to someone that is religious?
Of course not. That is an absurd Idea and if you actually say yes, then you are very likely the inferior one.

How could I put myself about people like Euler or Gödel? How could you? It would be insanity.

It depends what sort of religious they are. If they just like the morals and philosophy and stuff thats fine but if they literally believe in all the supernatural guff they are as bad as /x/

Lol no, it doesn't hold an individual back intellectually unless taken to extremes, but for every dumbass who is being held back because of his faith, there's another dumb ass who's lack of faith is holding them back, the nihilistic NEET spergs one might find on 4chins for example.

Everything else held constant, yes. Believing in something without the slightest shred of evidence is clearly a sign of stupidity
>LE TIPS FEDORA XDDD
Great argument

Gödel's proof is flawed and rigged though. He's not smart, he just liked and did math.

Of course not. Religiousness has nothing to do with intellect.

>Gödel's proof is flawed and rigged though.
Yes and?
It is not like he did something "new and unprecedented" he packaged a very old Idea (which has been criticized and defended for hundreds of years) into mathematical logic.

>He's not smart
How delusional are you? Of course he was a genius, claiming otherwise make you look plain stupid.

It doesn't mean that you are not intelligent if you have been indoctrinated by your parents into believeing in a god. Most religious people, that consider themselves "intelligent" already asked themself questions about their belief, but they refuse to admit that their god is non-existent, so they search for proper arguments, by wishful thinking. That's just my opinion, don't treat it like a fact.

huge difference between believing in god and being religious. Its reasonable to assume the big bang was caused by a higher power which can be referred to as god.

But its just straight stupid to be religious and belie whatever is written in a book just because thats the "holy book"

I get with islam its a death wish to be an apostate though so i kinda get why people wouldnt admit that

>Believing in something without the slightest shred of evidence is clearly a sign of stupidity LE TIPS FEDORA XDDD

are you saying its not? lol

No

Do you believe you shouldn't kill yourself even if existence is filled with more suffering than non-existence? If so, congratulations, you have an irrational "faith" in something.

Now go tip your fedora somewhere else, m'redditor. And yes I'll keep calling you that purely because it pisses you off.

Let me guess, you've spent 0 hours researching religion outside of /reddit/atheism

So very intellectual.

>Believing in something without the slightest shred of evidence is clearly a sign of stupidity
And so are you. Denying something without the slightest evidence is just as retarded.

your image refers to just deism which has nothing to do with religion.

But if we look at actual religions they all have claims based on nothing.

Define "intellectually superior."

What would constitute evidence that something doesn't exist?

Do you mean denying something that has no evidence is retarded? because its not

sorry if i misunderstood what you meant

Id say the ability to think in a superior way in general aspects of life. Sure someone thats a top engineer would be considered smart in that field but if he puts his hand on the stove to check if its hot then hes pretty stupid in general

Why would you be so intellectually dishonest?
You start with the premise "god exists" and then conclude that, since there is no evidence that "god does not exist".

In that you completely ignore the opposite case. "The claim God does not exist" has exactly as much evidence as the claim "god exists".
From that any sane scientist would conclude that we do not have proven or disproven God and that the only rational thing you can say is "I believe in God" or "I do not believe in God".
Any claim to the effect that "I know God does/doesn't exist and this is objectively true" needs has to be rejected as false.

>Do you mean denying something that has no evidence is retarded? because its not
Of course it is retarded. In science you first develop a theory and then see if it matches the data.
If it matches it can be called "true" (or "it describes reality") and if it doesn't it is called false.

There is no data for the claim "God exists" rejecting it on the basis of the absences is just as logical as rejecting the claim "God does not exist", since there is not data for either case.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

you cant prove a negative. Im gonna tell you i know that horses can fly. So you get 1000 horses to the top of a skyscraper and one by one you throw them off. None of them fly but your no closer to finding out if horses can fly or not. They either cant, or they didnt want to. The burden of proof is one the one making the claim

Also i wouldnt consider someone that belives in god intellectually inferior. Its somewhat reasonable to assume the big bang was caused by a higher power but that has nothing to do with religion.

Religion is a set of beleifs about actual stuff that we can observe that are just simply not true. For example in the bible noahs ark was impossible. Adam and eve didnt happen. The earth is more than 6000 years old. All religions have claims like this and if you beleive them because "its the word of god" you are just simply stupid

Yeah, I've seen the Lynn, Harvey & Nyborg paper before. I have some methodological issues with it.

>3rd world shit holes
>lets blame religion

>communist shit holes
>uh, atheism has nothing to due with it

u cant deny theres a disproportionate amount of atheists in fields that require you to be smart like STEM

Not historically.

Of course. There are so many ways to arrive at the position of atheism. It is just so fucking obvious that if you can't do it then it is reasonable for others to make inferences about your intellect.

OWN POWND BOOOOOOOOOM

Yes, in my eyes the devoutly religious people are loons.

>all have claims based on nothing

Why don't kids realize how absurd this strawman is? Every claim is based on something.

>Not when it doesn't confirm muh biases

New Atheists are just proto-SJWs

Just replace virtue signaling with intellectual signaling.

the claim that humanity started off as 2 humans that poof'd into existance by a magical man is based on what?

The claim that humanity actually evolved is based on facts and evidence

>The burden of proof is one the one making the claim
Sure. And I never would make the claim "God does not exist", which is exactly what most atheists I have seen do.

>Religion is a set of beleifs about actual stuff that we can observe that are just simply not true.
False, you have a very simplistic Idea about religion. You do not really understand it.

>For example in the bible noahs ark was impossible. Adam and eve didnt happen. The earth is more than 6000 years old.
If you seriously think that the believes that these things LITERALLY happened are common among most Christians on todays world you are wrong.
Even a thousands years ago people knew that.

>All religions have claims like this
They are not """""""""""""""""""""""claims"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""". They are stories and any sane religious person knows that they are just that.
Again even a thousand years ago people stopped taking the Bible literally.

>you beleive them because "its the word of god" you are just simply stupid
I do not ""believe""" them, like I would believe a book about history.

You seriously have absolutely zero clue what religion is about.

So you think you are "intellectually superior" to some of the greatest scientists in the world just because you think the un-falsifiable claim "God does not exist" is true.

Fuck of.

All you're doing here is arguing against the idea that we can ever say "X does not exist" about anything, its semantics. Clearly there are thresholds of existence in which some things almost certainly exist (giraffes), some things are very probable to exist (dark matter), some things are very probable to not exist (yetis), and some things almost certainly do not exist (psychic powers).

God clearly gets put in the least existy bucket however you wish to linguistically define that.

>I know nothing about religion so let me cite what I saw in cartoons

>which has nothing to do with religion.
Atheism is the "believe in the non-existence of gods".

You're an idiot.

>the claim that humanity started off as 2 humans that poof'd into existance by a magical man is based on what?
NO SANE RELIGIOUS PERSON BELIEVES THAT. Stop straw manning.
Evolution is VERY MUCH accepted by most Christians.

All this shows is that you do not understand religion and are dismissing something without having understood it.

no its not, gods dont exist by default. Athiesm is you saying god exists and me saying i dont beleive you, im gonna get on with my life now. I have no opinion on a god someone just made up

Maybe, but at least I do not think I am superior to some of the greatest minds of the world just because my beliefs.

>no its not, gods dont exist by default
That is not how logic works.

>Athiesm is you saying god exists and me saying i dont beleive you
Which puts you on the exact same level of faith required as the person you are talking to.

>I do not think I am superior to some of the greatest minds of the world

Well of course you shouldn't. You're a religiotard.

alot of christians do beleive everything they read from the bible.

Isnt it a coincidence that whenever science proves that somthing is so far fetched like adam and eve that it then becomes a "moral story" that is just there for moral guidance and didnt actually happen

>Well of course you shouldn't. You're a religiotard.
I am not really.

But you are doing it right now, from Gödel to Euler some of the greatest minds in the history of humankind where religious people.

All magnitudes more intelligent then you and me, and still you are putting yourself above them.

i dont need faith to not believe in something with no evidence. I can tell u fairys exist, that doesnt mean you would need faith that they dont. It would just make you a reasonable logical thinking person to say no they dont until you see proof

I dont have faith god doest exist, but until i see proof im gonna live my life as if god doesnt. No faith needed

>alot of christians do beleive everything they read from the bible.
Source? I have not met such a christian yet.

>Isnt it a coincidence that whenever science proves that somthing is so far fetched like adam and eve that it then becomes a "moral story" that is just there for moral guidance and didnt actually happen
No. The realization that the the Bible is not literally true is about a thousand years old.
It existed before most of modern science happened and even far before the Idea of evolution, disproved this claim (which didn't really exist or at least wasn't popular).

>I dont have faith god doest exist
What else do you have?

What more could atheism be?

>I am not really.
>But you are doing it right now, from Gödel to Euler some of the greatest minds in the history of humankind where religious people.
>All magnitudes more intelligent then you and me

Speak for yourself, chimpy. 151 IQ here.

I can forgive people from past eras being theist. They knew next to nothing about our place in the universe compared to what we know today. If you are a theist in 2017, and were not raised in a third world country, you. are. a. tard.

>alot of christians do beleive everything they read from the bible.

Only a tiny amount of american protestants do that and they only started doing it in the 20th century.

>They knew next to nothing about our place in the universe compared to what we know today

Talk about a non sequitur

>Speak for yourself, chimpy. 151 IQ here.
You seriously are pathetic. Show me what you did for the world.

>I can forgive people from past eras being theist. They knew next to nothing about our place in the universe compared to what we know today.
Do you even know who Gödel is?
Spoiler he was a friend of Einstein.

You are a pathetic human being, who without logic or reason dismisses religion. I seriously I hope that I never have to meet people like you, who gain "a feeling of superiority" based on other people's beliefs.

You should reflect on why you are becoming emotional. Let me help you, as you probably need it. I am stating bluntly what you subconsciously know is true. That your favourite god is fictional.

And it scares the pants off you.

You're not making an argument and instead shaming your opponent, just like SJWs.

You're dodging the point.

>I am stating bluntly what you subconsciously know is true.
And you are telling me I am "emotional" while your only argument is "my "gut" said so"?
At least I considered both the position of theism and atheism and thought about them long and hard.

>That your
It is not my god.
I am not even a Christian, or part of some other organized religion.

>And it scares the pants off you.
I am not scared, I do not know what I could possibly be afraid of.

is also not me, although he has a very valid point, which you are dodging right now.

You are claiming superiority over a position you do not understand. You claim to be "Intellectually superior" to people who discovered more about the universe then both of us will ever understand.
At least have some humility.

You didn't make a point. You just slurred him with "if you don't agree with me then you're just irrationally afraid".

You literally used the same tactic as SJWs use with Islamophobia to brush off any arguments against Islam.

Hahah. Atheists believe they have a superior form of rationality, yet lack simple cognitive abilities that even the most backwards and feeble-minded possess.

I can string circles around an atheist in an argument if they give me a moment of their attention, and usually refuse to admit their are wrong do to a strong sense of self-entitled arrogance.