Will you defend this?

Will you defend this?

Other urls found in this thread:

grammy.com/videos/katy-perry-grammy-performance-chained-to-the-rhythm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd like to study Beyonce if you know what I'm saying

Not in the way they would teach it.

But an objective class on Beyonce's rise to near worship in the entertainment industry and popular culture in 30 years would be very interesting. She is approaching cult status and her imagery is becoming more and more bizarre, and desu I have no idea why.

grammy.com/videos/katy-perry-grammy-performance-chained-to-the-rhythm

katie perry had a better perfomance that night

>Cal Poly

wut
isn't that some kind of medicine for kids

What legitimately is the point of humanities anymore? I'm genuinely serious. Like say you take this class. What do you do with this information? I get literature, I get philosophy, sociology or history, to varying degrees, and depending on your grades/promise, you can do something with these degrees, even if you only write or teach or are a pundit.

But what is the point of where humanities is heading? Is it just marketing? Is it so some kid going to college for the experience on their parent's dime will find something they're interested in?

I don't get why anyone would choose this class. And think about what other classes they could have taken with that time and money.

>people will spend time and money learning about a pop singer's ethnicity

Masters, holding aloft a hard-boiled egg from the free lunch as if it were a crystal ball, said, “Have you gentlemen ever considered the question of the true nature of the University? Mr. Stoner? Mr. Finch?”

Smiling, they shook their heads.

“I’ll bet you haven’t. Stoner, here, I imagine, sees it as a great repository, like a library or a whorehouse, where men come of their free will and select that which will complete them, where all work together like little bees in a common hive. The True, the Good, the Beautiful. They’re just around the corner, in the next corridor; they’re in the next book, the one you haven’t read, or in the next stack, the one you haven’t got to. But you’ll get to it someday. And when you do – when you do –” He looked at the egg for a moment more, then took a large bite of it and turned to Stoner, his jaws working and his dark eyes bright.

Stoner smiled uncomfortably, and Finch laughed aloud and slapped the table. “He’s got you, Bill. He’s got you good.”

Masters chewed for a moment more, swallowed, and turned his gaze to Finch. “And you, Finch. What’s your idea?” He held up his hand. “You’ll protest you haven’t thought of it. But you have. Beneath that bluff and hearty exterior there works a simple mind. To you, the institution is an instrument of good – to the world at large, of course, and just incidentally to yourself. You see it as a kind of spiritual sulphur-and-molasses that you administer every fall to get the little bastards through another winter; and you’re the kindly old doctor who benignly pats their heads and pockets their fees.”

Finch laughed again and shook his head. “I swear, Dave, when you get going – “

Masters put the rest of the egg in his mouth, chewed contentedly for a moment, and took a long swallow of beer. “But you’re both wrong,” he said. “It is an asylum or –what do they call them now? – a rest home, for the infirm, the aged, the discontent, and the otherwise incompetent. Look at the three of us – we are the University. The stranger would not know that we have so much in common, but we know, don’t we? We know well.”

Learning to uderstand, interpret, analyse culture. What's the problem here?

For (You)

>30 women get a degree in Beyonce Studies
>can only get jobs as waitresses
>complain that men get paid 85 cent to the dollar

There's nothing wrong with that aim, but they'll fail in it, and all they'll get's a bunch of girls who've found new ways to talk down to people who don't like the music they like.

>this information
Do you honestly think the point of going to university is to memorise 'information'? Have you been to university, user?

>they'll fail in it
Why?

>when I was younger
>"Lol the curtains were just red, who cares, why am I being told to find subjective conclusions and being judged as if they're objective?!"

>When I was older and smarter
>"The curtains were red for a very intelligent reason by the genius author, a reason which gives maximum insight in to human nature and the objectivity of aesthetics, not that I will dare ask why I should care about those or why everything is so obscurantist!"

>when I reached my final form

Literary Theory, as it is practised and as a whole is a set of intentionally vague, contradictory, and ever changing rules that create a logical system used by the academia-media-publishing industrial complex in order to monopolise the judgement of art, secure government funding, compete in the form of social posturing (by far the strongest reason), promote a large government, and guilt trip insecure members of the public in to paying for and proclaiming enjoyment of art.

>inb4 you say "I don't know art but I know what I like" in a non RP accent

I'm not even passing judgement on the "value" of this dominant version of "literary theory". I'm simply awaiting the butthurt that will inevitably commence just from pointing out that other forms can exist and not genuflecting towards the dominant form.

I would be surprised but then I remember there's a Women's Studies.

Won't you tie a snip of yarn to this big tangled clew we've been amassing.

Make sure your yarn is a bright Color so it stands out, but make sure you secure it deeply, in multiple places to the clew.

Jesus I sound like ayn rand talking about architecture

The course is going to be geared towards & filled with KWEENZ trying to intellectualize their adoration of a popular musician.

I hope these people understand their "education" is a decadent luxury and don't expect this to help them function in society.

who the fuck is even beyonce

Not the point of university, no, but "knowing a lot about Beyonce" isn't going to get you a job, so it's just "information" at the end of the day. And what do you do with it?

Imagine getting a B in Beyonce, would top myself.

I'd like bey her once if you know what I mean

Progressive!

doubtless its going to be predominately filled with 'white' girls

probably a few blacks and gays too, and one poor little white boy who is taking it as a GE

Women's Rights was a mistake.