Write f(h(x)) as an expression in terms of x

>Write f(h(x)) as an expression in terms of x.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/math/algebra2/manipulating-functions/funciton-composition/v/new-function-from-composition
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what are h(x) and f(x) brainlet?

I dont understand what the question is asking.

it means plug in the function of h(x) into the function of f(x) and that is your answer.

It doesn't say what x is

It wants me to rearrange it or some shit

watch this
[eqn]f(h(x))=(f\circ h)(x)[/eqn]

i know that brainlet. I ain't telling you solve for x. Just write what the new function comes out to be for f(g(x)). this is pretty simple shit user. once you realize it you will probably punch yourself in the face for asking such a stupid question.

are f(x) and h(x) defined?

Middle schoolers aren't allowed on this board.

I cant you evil normie I don't know what x is how the fuck am I suppose to write it

If you haven't been given f and h, it means that your professor is most likely retarded.

what the FUCK are you talking about. You don't ever "know what x is" it's the independant variable!

Look if it was something like

f(x) = sin (x)
h(x) = x^3

then f( h(x) ) = sin(x^3)

OK it says
f(x) = 9x - 2
h(x) = 3x^2 + 2x

How do I do it then smart guy

Next time put the whole question down.

Everywhere you see an x in the f(x) function, replace that x with all of h(x).

That's not the right answer it says

These are functions. They are like machines where you give it some number, x, and it gives you an output, f(x)

so f(2) = 9(2) - 2

now instead of 2, plug in 3x^2 + 2x

dude fuck you

agreed. Holy shit this is some next level homework posting

Think.

Fuck you too it's not homework I'm trying to learn on khanacademy

Im a highschool dropout I'm just trying to learn what is your problem I was poisoned by carbon monoxide as a child

Consider suicide

JUST PUT 3x^2 + 2x EVERYWHERE YOU SEE AN x

9(3x^2 + 2x) - 2

27x^2 + 18x - 2

ffs

I tried that and it said it was the wrong answer

>going to the internet hate machine and not expecting to made fun of

>what is your problem
problem is you have no respect, you don't deserve any help

Did you copy the question wrong?

khanacademy.org/math/algebra2/manipulating-functions/funciton-composition/v/new-function-from-composition

top lel @ this thread

Here's your (you)

Here man. I know these anons are being mean to you but I gotchu.

You've got a function f(x) and you've got a function h(x). Let's rewrite h(x) as y. So now your problem f(h(x)) becomes f(y) because h(x)=y. Now, whatever you're h(x) is, set it equal to y. So now you have f(y) where y is a composite. If that last sentence confused you just ignore it.

So, you now have f(h(x))=f(y).
>What's f(y) now?
Write it down
>What is y?
Write it down
>The question is asking me to put it in terms of x and f(y) is all in y... How do I turn y into x? I have an equation for y in terms of x... What do you do now?
Write down the procedure and do it. There's your answer.
Have fun user

[math]f\left(h\left(x\right)\right)[/math] is an expression in terms of [math]x[/math].

Stop let Darwin work

underage out!

We should require the captchas to be at the very minimum calc 1 questions so idiots and med students can't post here.

Delet this

>poisoned by carbon monixide as a child

You should finish the job as an adult.

That's a quadratic. That should give you an idea.

You have to take it further than 9(3x^2+2x) - 2
It simplifies to 27x^2 + 18x - 2, which can then be applied as a quadratic equation. Though it doesn't ask for it, x = -0.141, -0.526

I lied, it's 0.097, -0.764

OH SHIT WHAT THE FUCK

FUCKING MAGIC

Shouldn't it be 27x^2 + 18x -2 = 0?

9(3x^2 + 2x) - 2

OP, don't listen to these fucks. I for one congratulate you on your ambition to self teach yourself math, especially after dropping out of HS.

In the future, these questions should be either directed in the sqt thread or to /adv/, where people are more helpful.

In that note, fuck you Veeky Forums! You fuckers keep on circle jerking how math is the most important subject, how everyone should know it and yet when someone tries to autodidactically learn math you put him down like hell. And yeah the question was not very high level, but goddamn it you might have permanently put the user off of math.

Everyone point and laugh. No seriously, kid you should be able to do that. If you don't understand the question READ YOUR FUCKING TEXTBOOK.

>especially after dropping out of HS.
Savage

How was that savage?

I meant to imply that his motivation may not be very high. In no way should that be understood as an assessment of his mental capabilities. If anything, his willingness to learn should be praised and held in high regard.

Well fuck you too!
Were all contributing to the cause.

I apologize, I should have made it clearer that not all were meant in my post. Those who were know who they are, but you are correct, my phrasing was less than clear on this.

Probably late to this but it means write function f(x) with x in that function replaced by function h(x).

i.e.
f(x)=x+1
h(x)=x^2
Therefore, f(h(x))= x^2+1

Also, you must be 18 to use this site.