Name a country that produced a better of body of work in the twentieth century

Name a country that produced a better of body of work in the twentieth century.

As regards fiction, you're 100% right. But for poetry and philosophy I'd look somewhere else to be honest

>20 stars

>20th cent philosophy
lol, top meme

You can't.

Russia, France, England. American literature is pretty basic.

>bigger body of work
None.
>better body of work
Murifats always go for quantity of over quality.

russia and england beat united states in the 19th century for sure, but the 20th? what authors are you thinking of? solzhenitsyn, vasily grossman, bulgakov...? then england it's even tougher, since joyce is irish... dh lawrence? orwell and huxley?

france, proust is major, but then what else is in the same realm?

The answer to this question is Ireland.

Pasternak, bulgakov, nabokov, platonov, Kharms, sholokov, akhmatov, bryusov

>dh lawrence? orwell and huxley?

Kek Brits are so shit tier

Ireland is basically America

20th century English poetry is better than all 20th century American literature (assuming you classify Eliot, pound and H.D. as English)

nabokov's an american writer

>akhmatov

eliot and pound are american

He was a Russian writer first (his Russian novels and stories).
His English books are American.
So I guess in this comparison nabokov is a wash.

>assuming you classify Eliot, pound as English

Lmao this desperation

wasnt sholokov a plagiarist?

If they are American then
nabokov is Russian.

yeah, and his defining works are the english ones

ah, youve got me... uhh fine, nabokov is russian

Then you also agree that Eliot, pound and H.D. are English poets?

France

Although William Burroughs might make America the best, hard to say.

Writing in a completely different language isn't the same as LARPing

lmao

If you're retarded, sure.

Russian literature is such a meme, are half of them even real people?

At the very least Eliot's four quartets (1935-42) are British since he became a citizen in 1927. He was also part of the Church of England.

Again that's just being an edgy LARPer, where you're raised is what defines you

i looked up one of them, and it wasnt real lmao

Nah, he was accused of plagiarism but there was no proof and the style in quite flows the Don (the book supposedly plagiarized) is very similar to his previous writing.
Solzhenitsyn accused him but he was probably just butthurt over sholokov's scathing review of one day in the life of Ivan denisovich.

If we're going of Nobel Literature prizes, then France. The Answer is France.

>the Bob Dylan award

>akhmatov
Akhmatova, my bad

oh

excluding the 21st century, France still has most.

By what metric?

oh thats the one i looked up and didnt get anything lol

We're talking about 20th century writers, a lot of them went to 19th century authors.
Also you best not be counting Beckett as French

One for each state that has produced anything of merit.

Every metric

>metric
Obviously not American then

ireland?
>heaney,
>joyce (perhaps the greatest prose writer of all time)
>flann o'brien
>beckett
>yeats (perhaps the greatest poet of all time)
>bernard shaw (runnerup for greatest dramatist of all time)
>sean o'casey

>joyce (perhaps the greatest prose writer of all time)
Anglos are cute in their naive narcissism.

>>yeats (perhaps the greatest poet of all time)

yeats doesn't really have a rival imo. eliot? rilke? whitman? dickinson? keats and the romantics? he hit the golden mean between tradition and experiment whereas guys like cummings, pound, eliot went too far. modern and ancient at the same time. i would say that the epic poets like homer, dante, vergil, etc. are in a distinct category and thus not comparable.

if not yeats, who?

false modesty is worse than pretension, but being the greatest and being aware of it is the ideal. joyce was the greatest and he knew it; this is not being pretentious or overly proud, but just being aware of the talents one has. do you say sorry when people spill drinks on you?

>eliot went too far.
Wrong

Yeats is entirely derivative of the French Late symbolists. Your high school tier education is showing

yeah, so much turf cutting in those french symbolists. i'm not user, but to be fair to yeats, he crossed that class divide far better than the symbolists.

>do you say sorry when people spill drinks on you?
Yes
t. Canadian

I don't know why you think that's either relevant or true

really man? you can't see why the guy who founded the abbey theatre and staged the celtic revival might have different ways, means and motivation to the french late symbolists? do you just like saying the word symbolist even though it's entirely irrelevant? do you know what derivative is to accuse yeats of it? you said some retarded shit for even high school while calling user's education high school tier. i think you don't know why i'd say that because you don't know shit.

>deliberately pretending to be retarded
Clearly the implication was that Joyce isn't the greatest novelist of all time, which is quite obvious to everyone who isn't a delusional monolingual anglo prone to autofellation. Come back to discuss literature when you've grown out of jerking it to modernism and style over substance, bubbale.

>irish
>anglo

who is the greatest novelist of all time, friend? i eagerly await your sparkling revelation :)

i concede. joyce is a trashy bogtrotting cyclops to me now

Leo Tolstoy.

>bernard shaw (runnerup for greatest dramatist of all time)
Really?

>le orthodox wizard

That's Dostoevsky m8

orwell >> lost generation and beat generation

The beats sure

lmao no some of the most loved Veeky Forums meme books are 20th century American Veeky Forums:Stoner, all of Pynchon, Infinite Jest. Also as far as non meme authors go America had plenty of great authors like Hemingway, Fittzgerald, Faulkner and a lot more from the lost generation. I really hate this meme that America is bad at literature, for how new of a country the US is we have had a pretty large amount of authors

Shit forgot to add Gaddis and Steinbeck

Literally every other country, you'd prob find relative higher quality work in Tanzania or Uruguay, and most certainly in the industrialized Europe and Asia.