Learn new concept in math

>learn new concept in math
>forget a previous one

Does anyone else ever forget basic shit like how to multiply fractions, or order of operations or dealing with negative exponents?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/thread/S9152271
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, you must be a brainlet

You're a brainlet, if you know maths you think in maths and don't forget concepts, they become natural to you

My brain doesn't have unlimited capacity.

I forget the names of certain concepts, that's pretty much it I guess.

Maths isn't about knowledge it's about understanding, try lsd

Yesterday I was stuck on a proof for like half an hour because I forgot you can rearrange the square root of a rational number to only have a radical in the numerator. I'm a senior.

>Does anyone else ever forget basic shit like how to multiply fractions, or order of operations or dealing with negative exponents?
Not really, but I did forget how to calculate a line integral.

>mfw will always be average/below average because I'm a memorylet

That's the definition of a brainlet

Iktfb

You just need to spend more time on a subject before moving on. I spent like 2 years straight studying algebra before moving on to trig because I knew it was so vital to higher areas of mathematics and even then, I feel like I moved on too soon. You should make sure you understand every single little detail about a subject before moving on. If you know literally everything about it, you can safely move on. Just practice it every once in a while and it will come right back because you have a deep understanding.

Senior in college?

2 years user? Lol and bravo, i guess

Yes

Every fucking lecture

mfw
>didn't pay attention in all of high school, didn't study one bit
>took algebra at age 12
>didn't take precalc
Tested into calculus but getting fucked because of basic Algebra.

This (I happen to be agreeing with the pro-psychedelic post, as usual).

If you're memorizing math, you're doing it wrong. Everybody forgets little shit they haven't done in years. It's only after years of teaching the class over and over that it becomes stuck in your brain (if even then).

Does anybody remember all the formulas from trig? They're simple but I sure as fuck couldn't tell you on the spot what all of them are, and neither can many professors who've been doing research for decades.

Yes

You didn't practice enough as a child. As embarrassing as it sounds, you must spend a considerable amount of time on elementary mathematics and algebra; live and breath the concepts. It shouldn't only be memory, it should be understanding too. I've studied logic now for 4 months, 4-6 hours a day. The basics are now instrisic operations ny mind processes unconsciously. I hear sentences and paragraphs and can instantly translate them into propositional arguments. Take 2 months or so and work through basic math for a few hours daily. It'll be worth it.

Same guy.
You hear stories of child prodigies; people with iq's above 150 who seemingly think in calculation. One thing I can say with nearly 100% confidence is that, as a child, these men and women were entirely captivated by mathematics. They, as children, worked through elementary math books, probably containing 100's, if not 1,000's of problems, materializing the concepts and content. Mozart didn't come out of the womb composing, (insert great mathematician) didn't come out calculating, artists don't come out able to perfectly figure draw. It takes time. Genius takes time. Who we consider the greats just got headstarts during childhood.

>people can remember all the pokemon
>people can't remember derivative laws

warosu.org/sci/thread/S9152271

>Mozart didn't come out of the womb composing
He practically did though. Nigga was writing music at age 4.

Oh ok, I thought you were humble bragging initially

I'm interested in learning logic but besides compsci and philosophy what do you do with it?

Because his dad forced music training on him before 4.

I'm interested in mathematical logic. So I used it as a precursor to my books on that. They're different, but I feel I had only good results by doing basic logic first. As a side hobby, im interested in semantics and epistemology (which fits under philosophy) so I use set theory and basic logic for those two fields as well.

There's no reason to spend 2 years learning basic algebra. Lol. 6 months is sufficient because the same methods will be used over and over when learning trig and calculus.

thanks user, v useful
t. brainlet

>forgetting how to multiply fractions
That's not normal user. That's plebtier.

Savage

fractions are cancer

no