Ah yes the Sloppy Joe, truly an American sandwich classic...

Ah yes the Sloppy Joe, truly an American sandwich classic. It will have all other peoples clamoring for more once they have a bite, acting like true men

Any ideas on how to update this magical classic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5bHGb6eoZPI
youtube.com/watch?v=VQxaT07uB7A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what if the meat wasn't a sloppy pile of diarrhea?

so what some sort of disc of meat?

a cohesive disc roughly the diameter of the buns

that sounds both disgusting and technically impossible

Sloppy Joes are great and honestly, I prefer a sloppy joe straight from the manwich can.

I make my own sloppy joes with fish patties and tartar sauce.

do you put cheese on them?

For me, it's the McChicken.

If I was going to do it I would try adding some browned flour or maybe corn flour until it was thick and sticky like a cookie dough. Then I would shape it into the patties and give each side a quick fry on a lightly oiled skillet. It might work even better if you add like 1/4 cup of brown sugar

I just make Manwich, throw sharp cheddar and pickle on it

if only there were some sort of protein based fluid that could bind the meat together almost like glue

Imagine a McChicken Joe.

So whats a Sloppy joe taste like? How is the meat spiced?

Given it is american I imagine someone slips a few table spoons of sugar in there somewhere.

WTF is a sloppy joe

Hard to explain.. but it's really fucking good

Imagine an Italian meat sauce that had more of the consistency of a very meaty and less saucy chili but more of a meat with sauce, but the sauce being more like a BBQ sauce but more like a ketchup that has some of the qualities of all spoken formers rather than a BBQ sauce

it's a sandwich basically filled with very very meat dense pasta sauce
flavor is less pasta sauce like though, more seasoned and a different area of flavor

im posting this to reddit guys.

"Veeky Forums invents a new food"

nice, they will all act snooty as though it wasn't a joke

Lol, I thought from the cartoons I watched that a sloppy Joe was a burger with lots of ketchup. You actually eat that shit god dammit.

They stopped serving these after elementary school.
Those babbies don't know what they're missing out on. I looked forward to eating that shit every single week they had it

whats the best way a bong could make this (bong such as myself)

You buy a can of manwich and mix it with browned ground beef. That's literally how 95 percent of the US eats it. You can probably get it online.

wow someone already posted it to reddit. we need to purge them somehow

We're having sloppy Joe's.

youtube.com/watch?v=5bHGb6eoZPI

incredible sentence

that's pretty much what you would be doing by adding the starchy ingredients. Gluten is wheat protein and Zein is corn protein

it tastes like a meat chili with ketchup added

>ground beef, browned
>diced onions, sauteed
>minced garlic
>spoonful of tomato paste for flavor depth
>couple spoonfuls of mustard
>about 1/3 cup of ketchup, yes, ketchup. Why? Because it contains both the sweet component, and the saucey component
>Worcestershire sauce to taste
>black pepper to taste
>a bit of oregano, not too much, you're not making pasta sauce
>check for flavor, adjusting as necessary. If it needs extra rich tang, add a little balsamic vinegar.
>dash or 2 of hot sauce optional
>red bell pepper optional (diced and sauteed with the onion)
>serve on toasted buns with cheese , fresh red onion slices, and pickle slices if that appeals to you.

Do Americans really eat this?

Put it on a hotdog bun so that it doesn't go everywhere

At the end of the day it's yet another dish based around ground beef. Ground beef was a huge thing in the 20th Century because everyone in America wanted to eat beef, and it was one of the cheapest beef options. There were lots of cookbooks dedicated entirely to dishes made from the stuff. I grew up eating some of those dishes once, sometimes twice a week. The problem was most of those dishes aren't very good, because while ground beef is relatively affordable and easy to work with it's not that good an ingredient. A good burger or Bolognese are the best things you can do with it, and things quickly go downhill from there into garbage tier dishes like American goulash, sloppy Joes, Ortega taco kits and Hamburger Helper.

Maybe it's because I ate so much of it growing up, but for me ground beef is something I avoid, not seek out.

Sloppy joe casserole
Cold sloppy salad add coleslaw or potato salad macaroni salad spaghetti salad
Sloppy pies
Sloppy pockets
Sloppy chili frito pie
Sloppy joe curry on rice
Jambalaya joes
Pulled pork joes
Sloppy joes and corned beef hash
Sloppy joe fries

I think thats all in gonba post

Ok. Is that a burger or sandwich. Serious this time.

no, yeah, a few spoons of sugar

Yes. I moved to America from France when I was 9 and there was sloppy joe day in my school. Coming from France the food was so gross I could barely eat it so I just waited until I got home to eat. Later I brought some cheese to snack on after my mom figured out I wasn't eating lunch anymore and was losing too much weight.

Yes, if you like chilli dogs you'll like this.

sandwich that burger kids go crazy for

I have a few friends who are American citizens now, but grew up in France. They have a lot of trouble with the trashier side of American cuisine. If you grew up French some of these dishes are unthinkable.

Have.. have you guys never seen a hamburguer?

french people are just prissy faggots who get all pretentious about food even though they eat shit like frog legs and offal stew

You have no idea what you're talking about, but you're on Veeky Forums, so it doesn't matter.

I went through the rest of grammar school not eating the food. Even the bread was terrible and it was a very expensive private school. It's very sad because I love America but the food fed to the children is unthinkable and it is no wonder why so many young children become fat. And I don't see why? It can't be more expensive to feed them right.

lol, butthurt

>very expensive private school
go back home faggot

You seem a bit upset the frog doesn't like your disgusting food burger boy

I'm American and I can't believe the crap they feed the kids at my nephew's grammar school. It's prison-tier.
No, I have no horse in the race. No one is making me eat this kind of shit. But as an American at least I don't find it shocking that it exists and some folks actually like it. Because it's been there for my whole life. There were cans of Manwich and boxes of Hamburger Helper at the supermarket as long as I remember. My family didn't buy that kind of thing, but I knew it wasn't just poor people who ate it. But think about someone coming from a better food culture - it's not just bad American food, it'/s actually horrifying to them.

Welcome to Europe . We're all like that .

>ugh why do these overworked proles eat all this processed prepackaged food that's easy to prepare? don't they know complicated recipes made with expensive organic produce from whole foods is better for them?

-you

>when just throwing ingredients in a pot is both cheaper and healthier, but it's moderately less convenient than putting a plastic tray in the microwave

This was fun to read

>red bell pepper optional
It's green bell pepper and it is not fucking optional.

>overworked proles
I didn't grow up rich, but I did have a mother who cooked, so I grew up with home cooked meals. I had a buddy whose family was richer than mine (pool in backyard, new cars, latest tech gadgets the moment they came out), but that was because both his parents worked. First time I had Hamburger Helper was at his house. His mom threw it together for the kids to eat in front of the TV, while the parents sat at the table eating something else and drinking wine. That shit would have never happened in my house. Mom had a home cooked meal on the table when dad got home from work, and we stopped what we were doing to all sit together and eat it.

So it was more a matter of priorities. We didn't have a pool, dad drove a used car and we had to wait for the latest vidya and other tech. But we sure as fuck weren't eating Sloppy Joes. If my mother had served that to my father there would have been a fucking scene.

(Last I heard that buddy of mine was managing a Taco Bell - figures).

>american chop suey
>garbage
it's actually one of my main comfort foods desu

There were a lot of weird recipes developed in the 20th century in America especially with the advent of the modern supermarket. Look at the Betty Crocker cookbook and others. People were just so giddy that there were all these packaged foods and ingredients ready for them at an instant, so they came up with a bunch of weird shit.

Only a few of these recipes actually caught on. The sloppy joe was one, but as we've have seen, it has faded nearly out of existence today. The only thing worth mentioning from this time period is meatloaf. With the right spices, ingredients and gravy, a slice of meatloaf can be the best thing you can ever hope to put on a sandwich.

poo in loo

Green bell pepper is unripe and causes gas. Red/orange or fucking none at all.

My dad grew up with his mother's cooking, which was meat (rarely if ever ground beef), potatoes, at least two vegetable dishes and a salad (eaten at the end of the meal). Mom got scolded whenever she tried those Better Homes and Gardens kind of recipes or made a meal involving new (to my dad) convenience food products. So stuff like Sloppy Joe, Ortega taco kits, meatloaf and hot dogs I only got when I was very young and dad still traveled for work. (She could feed the kids trashy convenience food when dad was away). That didn't happen often enough for me to ever develop a taste for that kind of food.

Your father is a good man

My parents grew up the same way, and so we NEVER had convenience foods. My mom did make things like macaroni and cheese, but from scratch, using bechamel and cheeses like gruyere, so as a kid, I always thought it was some kind of European dish. I never even saw someone make boxed mac and cheese until I was in college. I was horrified. Also, anything that required a sauce, the sauce was made from scratch. But, to frame this with background info, my dad was a cattle rancher with a masters in agriculture , and his father was a legit cattle baron (and my grandmother on that side basically did nothing but cook, everything from scratch ), and my mom came from a southern family of highly educated people, and was a professional chef and culinary arts teacher, until she went back to school and got her PhD in biology so she could teach in uni. During the time she was getting her PhD, that was the only time we ever ate simple meals, but even those were real food, like grilled flank steak and grilled vegetables, etc.
And I'm the huge disappointment of my family because all I have is a bachelor's in journalism and gave up going to graduate school to pursue a culinary career. Black sheep of the family FTW!

Thankfully he's still around. I owe him a lot as far as having reasonably good taste is concerned. He exposed me to all kinds of seafood, good cheeses, charcuterie, wine and stuff my more picky eater mother wouldn't touch growing up. But mom taught me that you don't have to eat trash even when cooking on a budget, and that was a very valuable lesson. Simple cooking can be very good if you're willing to put the time in and not cut corners. She's actually a much better cook now then when I was a kid, and a lot less picky as a result.
I'm the black sheep of my family, too, opting for a career in the arts instead of something that provided at least a safely middle class living. But after seeing me on TV a couple times and watching my career take me around the world a few times dad's cool with it. He has no idea how I actually make a buck in the arts, but truth is sometimes I don't, either.

>that oil precum on the tray

Sloppy shits is what that is

>I have a bachelor's in journalism and gave up going to graduate school to pursue a culinary career

I hope you die in a car accident you fucking faggot

>opting for a career in the arts instead of something that provided at least a safely middle class living.
>He has no idea how I actually make a buck in the arts, but truth is sometimes I don't, either.

I hope you die in a subway explosion you fucking queer

God you sound like such a cunt

>manwhich
That stuff is disgustingly sweet

Put lots of coleslaw on it. Trust me, its an amazing combo. The mayo sauce of the coleslaw mixes perfectly with the tanginess of the sauce.

No love for the arts?

no love for striver artso faggots afraid of adulthood

Hello. This is Chef John from foodwishes.com with, sloppy dip.

youtube.com/watch?v=VQxaT07uB7A

Sounds like sour grapes to me. "I had to make compromises and do a lot of shit I really didn't want to do in order to get by as an adult, so I hate anyone who figured out a more satisfying way to get by with less compromise!" No pity for you. You played it safe. You deserve what you get.

My mom makes a 10/10 sloppy joe and all you fuckers can take your recipes and shove them up your respective asses because it can't be topped by a mere mortal

>can't be topped by a mere mortal

So does that mean that your mother is a semen demon?

>Always fill a bun with leftover pasta sauce if there's too little to make reheating it later pointless
>Learn that what I considered to be just a way to get rid of extra pasta sauce is a legitimate sandwich with a name
woah

>*if there's so little that reheating it later would be pointless

Why so angry? You have issues and need a tissue?

I'd rather sound like a cunt than actually be a cunt, like yourself.

If you want cheap, sloppy beef sandwiches, you can just toss a shitty cut of beef like rump roast into a crockpot with some chopped onion, garlic, jalapeno, splash of vinegar, worcestershire sauce, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne, and a bunch of cheap BBQ sauce from the store. Cook until the meat is falling apart, mix it all up, and then you'll have ghetto BBQ sandwiches. It's so easy someone blacked out drunk could do it and it'll taste infinitely better than sloppy joes. Those are shit-tier sandwiches served to children in school cafeterias.

What you're describing is just sloppy joes but with shredded beef instead of ground beef, it's not any better. One of my old bosses used to bring in a giant slow cooker full of sloppy joe meat, along with all the accompanying items, whenever we did inventory. It was exactly what you're describing except with ground meat and less generic fucking bbq sauce. It's the same tier food. Neither is gourmet, both can be made in a slow cooker, and both have nearly identical ingredients. Get off your cheap high horse.

this is from the same establishment

we can call it a "tidy joe"

oh I've made that in a toilet, the day I came down with food poisoning.

>And I don't see why?
Food lobbyists making deals with instutitions.

The same reason corn syrup ends up in everything.

>What you're describing is just sloppy joes but with shredded beef instead of ground beef, it's not any better.

Just by using actual cuts of beef instead of hamburger automatically makes it better by default. And you'd be correct if you replace the "BBQ sauce" part with "ketchup." I'd rather a simple BBQ sandwich than a ketchup sandwich.

Bbq sauce is made with ketchup.

Also, once you've cooked down a chuck roast to shreds, it's absolutely no better than ground chuck. You're deluding yourself to justify your preference.

>Bbq sauce is made with ketchup.

Stop being fucking autistic. Can you not taste the difference between the two? Look at any recipe online for sloppy joes and they're a milder version of what I posted above minus the BBQ, plus even more sugar, and plus ketchup. Enjoy your ketchup sandwich with even more sugar added into it, faggot.

Do you ever even read the nutritional facts on the back of your shitty condiment bottles? YOU ARE DELUDED.

I always get bothered by you people who had families that forced everyone to sit at the table and eat the same home cooked shit every night, probably because my aunt and uncle used to do that and it was miserable. And everyone got fat.

My parents taught me to make my own food and we all enjoyed our own choices separately. Plus there was no time that I was forced to finish my plate.

Here is the very first result from google from foodnetwork or some shit:

2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Dude, come on.

1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup water
3/4 cup ketchup
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1 cup water
cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Here is another recipe. Sounds just like what I've been posting. It's a ketchup sandwich.

>2 cups ketchup, 5 TBS sugar!

Gots ta hav' me sum dat sugah wit mah meat!

To be fair, both the BBQ pulled crockpot shit I posted above and the ketchup sandwich (sloppy joe) are both something you'd make if you were too drunk/hungover to cook something decent. If I had to choose, I'd take the BBQ over the ketchup sandwich hence why I told that Brit to not even bother with sloppy joes.

Make a sloppy joe, but add a bit more sauce, some beans, and green olives

Throw out the bun and serve over yelliw rice

Think I'm on to sonething here desu

>if only there were some sort of protein based fluid that could bind the meat together almost like glue

Egg?