In all of history, I can't think of a single even which I've found more interesting than the Vietnam War...

In all of history, I can't think of a single even which I've found more interesting than the Vietnam War. In all honesty, I can't name a single relevant book.

Can you help? I skimmed the sticky but found none.

Not about the Americans invading Nam, but there is a great book about the Vietnamese clashing with the French called The Quiet American

Same guy (/pol/ poster) from last night?

That's a real shame. And really hard to believe, actually. I'll check your recommendation out though. It rings a bell. I've definitely heard the title before.

No, I only really browse /sp/ these days. I've never used /pol/. Used to use /v/ and /tv/, but grew out of them 5-6 years ago.

Hmm don't know many OP, two short stories you could check out are The Pugilist at Rest by Thom Jones, and O'Briens Things They Carried

Thanks, any amount helps. It's strange it's such slim pickings for such a historic event. Especially when you consider it being the source material for so many classic films and music.

I find warfare after WWII extremely boring. There's no more interesting strategies or tactics on the battlefield, because we've become so good at war now thanks to technology all the strategy is outside the field. Ever played a WWII, Napoleonic or medieval game? There's usually some strategy involved on the battlefield, but if you play a modern war game there's only guns blazing or stealth missions, like in Vietnam. Middle East warfare is even worse because of drones.

Watch a video by Historia Civilis or something.

Dien Cai Du by Yusef Komunyakaa
It's poetry tho.

I'm reading Tree of Smoke right now and it's pretty decent

>Proxy war so irrelevant, that the most succesful combattant just drops out.
Yeah interesting...

If you aren't meming, read Kissinger, he's very eloquent.

I've mostly read memoirs of Vietnam, so here's my contributions:

Tours of Duty
Hill 488
Hill Fights: Early Battles of Khe Sanh
Very Crazy, GI

There is one book I have about Vietnam I've yet to read and it's "Vietnam War: 1955-1975"

>book about vietnam
>it ain't me starts vocalizing

I actually teach a war literature course at a uni sometimes and my unit on vietnam varies between these books ( I usually pick about 2-3 of them):
Michael Herr - Dispatches
Norman Mailer - Armies of the Night
Tim O' Brien - The Things they Carried
Tim O' Brien - Going after Cacciato
Yusef Komunyakaa - Dien Cai Dau
Wallace Terry - Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Soldiers
Stephen Wright - Meditations in Green
John Clark Pratt - the Laotian Fragments
Joan Didion - Democracy

>Tim O' Brien - Going after Cacciato
I love this one

>book about vietnam
>it ain't me starts sub-vocalizing

>I find warfare after WWII extremely boring.
korea was okay, but i agree, even as a total casual

I usually teach O'Brien's book to showcase a more human side of the war - the destruction of innocence, the collective frailty of human psyche, etc. - but in particular I teach Cacciato as a kind of 'road' novel through Vietnam

What's it like actually teaching a course at uni btw? I always feel like that's something I'd like to do for exactly one term.

is there a comprehensive battle history of the war?

I have a book that's basically just a political history of the war, but I've been looking for some that covers the actual military operations.

it's weird and rigorous cuz at least at this uni you have to pitch a course and it can take like 3-5 years to even get approved and you design all the assignments and structure of the class etc. I enjoy it though because my students all generally offer really great insight and discussion of the book and I wish the classes were longer than 2 1/2 hours because there's so much to talk about

basically being a prof is all about trying to teach courses that apply to your research interests and hoping they get approved and hopefully generating a spark of shared interest in your students