What got you into math/science?

what got you into math/science?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p2ofJPh2yMw
youtube.com/watch?v=2WpBs2pSqhg
youtube.com/watch?v=29LoQVbEa7w
sharelatex.com/project/59bb96aa82babc74ecc54338
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was indifferent until I took my first proofs class and realized that math is the art of thinking clearly.
I've been into it ever since

I enjoyed math because I was doing well. Decide to major in it. Then happened. Then grad school happened. Now I'm surrounded by tryhards...

Well said.

Three things.

Dinosaurs.
A friend I had a crush on wanted to be my parter for science fair in 4th grade.
In 6th grade I had this math teacher that gave a shit ton of work and made us write our notes having our paper tuned 90 degrees. I did like him back thrn, but damn that could teach. Thanks Mr. DeFalco.

I got into computer science because I wanted to make mods for video games
:^)

Environmentalism, climate change. I honestly think there's no hope for humanity. Studying chemistry, water quality, organic gardening in preparation for the inevitable collapse of society.

Is that guy huge or are the other people tiny?

A desire to return humanity to the same level as before the Finno-Korean hyper war.

My parents forced me to study medicine

My mother was a school teacher and from the time she could read to me she had animal encyclopedias. Which I would always demand to be read as my bedtime story. I wanted to be an archeologist at 2, and entomologist at 4, and was determined to be a marine biologist by 5, I stuck with that plan until I couldnt bear the heartbreak from biodiversity loss and dropped out of college in a downward spiral, now I am focused on mathematical ecology as I am looking to head back to college and still am very fond of the ocean but I am more interested in life in general and it's properties than any particular life form , but the general supervenes on the particular so that's not entirely true

>enter uni majoring in international relations
>cool for the first year, second year start to realize i'm just learning the same shit over and over again
>get tired of "well there's a lot of good arguments on this side of the issue, but on the other hand there's a lot of good arguments against those arguements
>take research class that involves statistics lessons and a bunch of econ classes one semester
>love it - way more consensus in the field, offers so many more tools for research and actually advancing the field
>switch to econ (i know its not a fucking science but there's a lot of math in it)

You must go to a good school. I'm in an okay program and everybody is very aware of how shite they are. Only two people stand out as actually capable research mathematicians, the rest of us are going on to industry or teaching.

Not sucking dicks at engineering.
i.e. wanting to make money lol can care less for actual science and math, only lonely hobbyists would.

>get high as fuck
>watch these videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=p2ofJPh2yMw
youtube.com/watch?v=2WpBs2pSqhg
youtube.com/watch?v=29LoQVbEa7w
>"dude topology cool as fuck"
>"why do they bother us with this epsilon-delta bullshit I just wanna look at klein bottles"
>start learning topology on my own
>wtf is this shit.jpg
>I don't give a fuck about open covers I just wanna look at klein bottles
>realize that's how you do math probably
>stop being a brainlet and force myslef to learn topology, analysis and all other foundations
>after two years it finally clicked
>algebraic and differential topology cool as fuck

I was either gonna commit suicide or find something worth doing.

I eventually realized the world is only as good as it is because smart people brought us technology, and that maybe it's only as bad as it is because we need more smart people working to make more good things happen.

Obviously there's multiple angles to that, and it's not all just science, but I'm kind of fond of this fantasy where I make some discovery that completely obliterates the need for a lot of petty concerns that drive people to be really shitty to each other. I want to flip the world on its head not by hurting people, but just by showing everyone that they're basically wrong about everything and need to stop being stupid assholes, at least for a little while.

>cool as fuck
Convince me. From the outside it seems boring. When I open Munkres it just looks like tedious and boring formalisms.

sharelatex.com/project/59bb96aa82babc74ecc54338

I went to the zoo and watched Steve Irwin as a kid.

Goddamn dude 7 minutes in and already at least one of my sphincters are dilated.

being a fat loser

i told them to fuck off and did engineering kek

it was all i was good at as a kiddo

magic bullet does not exist

*pew pew*

which is why we need to make one!

I wish I had your courage

My biggest fear is that when something bad happens to me and I need surgery my surgeon will be like you and the moment he finally breaks is when he already has me in his table and I die because a doctor went crazy and decided to 9/11 his hospital

It was around highschool. For some reason I started having an urge to actually what we learned in class. This urge would lead me to think about proving more stuff I guess. Also I started watching some videos about physics on the jewtubes.

Everyone else seemed to hate it a lot and I didn't hate it so I decided to go into it.

I took a zoology class in high school. We dissected a squid and I did well in the class.

was it lined paper? ugh that shit sounds terrible

>get nervous when trying to find out what I want to do in life
>most of family is in trades and they are doing fine financially (house/car/insurance)
>look up vids on what an HVAC techs do daily
>seems ok
>guy says at end of video "if i could go back and change things.. id do some things differently...but id would always want to learn a trade"
>get real nervous
>up to this point id never consider regretting a decision career-wise
>look up highest paying jobs and best job markets
>ta-da im here working on a dual major in mathematics and compsci and doing well (3.8 GPA)

Can't stand you faggots that get into CS and Math based on the income and job market of that major.

Skim through Topology by Klaus Jänich, if it still seems boring then I can't help.
Also, Munkres is awful... Read Dugundji or Mendelson instead

physics and math were the only subjects in highschool where i could fuck around and not study and still get As at .

LFTRs, and the integration symbol which drew my attention instantly

An insecurity about my intelligence.

But that is a perfectly logical aproach

My 7th grade life sci teacher had enough money to buy a hands-on electrophoresis lab, which got me into biochem.

When I made my own DNA extraction procedure my freshman year of HS, I realized chemistry alone was my strongsuit.

Some of this yeah, Maths and physics just came pretty naturally to me I guess
Really fell in love with physics thanks to some great lecturers in my first year of undergrad

Rick and Morty

Seeing all those pretty maths symbols for the first time made me really excited to find out what each one of them meant and how to use them
Nothing more satisfying than a nice dense blackboard/slide stuffed with pretty symbols

I wanted to be an evil genius and slaughter humanity. Humanity truly is filthily and disgusting with all their endless pollution and ego-eccentric views. I am working on getting my PHD.