SLS program cost to date: $18 billion

>SLS program cost to date: $18 billion
>number of launches: zero

>projected cost by 2025: $35 billion
>projected number of launches by 2025: 2

SLS is the largest rocket ever designed and is also meant to keep the astronauts that will fly on it in space perfectly safe. Human life is precious and NASA has no right to risk it just to save few dollars.
Seemingly simple, these two requirements are tremendously difficult to achieve, but I firmly believe SLS will succeed and open new frontiers for all of humanity.

>SLS is the largest rocket ever designed
Wrong.
>is also meant to keep the astronauts that will fly on it in space perfectly safe
Wrong, at least for the initial versions.
>Human life is precious and NASA
Wrong, NASA has very little involvement. ULA/ Boeing is using it like another defense project money spigot.
>these two requirements are tremendously difficult to achieve, but I firmly believe SLS will succeed and open new frontiers for all of humanity
Also wrong. It will be outdated junk by the time they get it working. FFS, it already is outdated.

i used to be a Space fag, all i did was obsess on space, when we were going to space, how soon we would build stuff in space, living on the moon. I realized it will never happen.

There is some weird top secret space program up there that is radically advanced. Mind blowingly advanced, to the point people would be shocked by it. The problem is people in that project seem to hate the public lol, i cant say i blame them, but they hate the public, and dont want that technology revealed to the public. So why should the public be forced to pay for a pretend role playing public space program when that exists. I believe that is why Obama pretty much destroyed the public space program. Trump is a tard just looking to help his buddies embezzle money.

reminder to report /x/ shitposters

New Glenn will make SLS existence questionable and BFR will make it a joke.

While im not defending it nor against it
Modern science involving costly experiments are mostly simulated, so one should simulate as much as possible, especially when it comes to high cost, high pollutant rocket launches

How fucked will NASA be if the first one blows up on the launchpad due to shitty Space Shuttle components?

Hopefully it does. Then they'd just use private space companies to launch stuff into space.

Any sort of reusable rocket with a decent launch rate obsoletes non-reusable rockets

The whole SLS is a joke, the Space Shuttle program was a joke, and this piece of shit will be worse than continuing to operate the Space Shuttle

The SLS depresses me

>SLS is the largest rocket ever designed
Smaller than the Saturn V

>and is also meant to keep the astronauts that will fly on it in space perfectly safe
Full of leftover technology from the deadliest spacecraft ever made

>shilling for private rockets
kys retard

>not wanting $35 billion in budget be allotted to a piece of shit jobs program when we still don't have an orbiter around either of the Ice Giant planets

>SRB
>safe

>SLS accomplishing anything

kek

Are you saying money has to be spent to develop and build a rocket before it can be launched?

That sounds a little far fetched OP

did they even start building a factory for the new RS25s after they throw the old ones into the atlantic?

Tomorrowland was fiction and a bad movie, user.

More money has been spent on the project than SpaceX. Does that put things in perspective for you?

Both shuttle accidents were the result of human failings. The RS 25 engines (space shuttle main engines) are really amazing pieces of tech and too good to retire.

Big problem on the shuttle was mixing crew and cargo in the same vehicle. That makes for a very expensive cargo launcher. Look up Apollo Applications. That was the post apollo 17 vision that never happened, we would have had uprated Saturns flying in the 80's with lower price per pound to orbit than the shuttle and a lot of really cool capabilities and projects that were more interesting than the shuttle.

>To keep SVN from Chinese hands
Goddamn, every time I see evidence of how little those fuckhead knew about the country they were invading it pisses me off.

>$250,000/kg to LEO
So this... is the power of ULA... whoa

>Big problem on the shuttle was mixing crew and cargo in the same vehicle.
Meme nonsense
Rockets should be safe
Crew and Cargo are the same thing
Hell, the hundreds of millions of dollars in hardware being sent up is usually more valuable than astronauts going up to do makework.

It's not exactly ULA. ULA's a joint venture of Lockheed Martin and Boeing, accountable to both but separate from either (its vehicles were developed by the two parent companies before it was formed, under Air Force supervision and partial funding).

SLS is being developed by Boeing, with Orbital ATK boosters, under NASA supervision and full funding. Lockheed Martin is building the Orion capsule.

Orion Capsule is another boondoggle thats far worse than the SLS
Billions of dollars spent on some piece of shit that'll never actually be used
Madness