Hey guys...

hey guys, can you recommend me some good resources to get a basic overview and better understand plato + aristotle besides their full known works (and wikipedia)? thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZootFly#ZootFly
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah sure have you tried their full known works

plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle/

just do the Oxford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

or take an entry course in philosophy

The jpg you posted literally answers your entire question

This. It's literally all you're going to learn from a basic overview, or general introductory class.
Plus the picture's also got book recommendations.

I type Timeo into Wikipeida and what I get is this shit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZootFly#ZootFly

Aristotle waves his hands to the material world
Plato points up to the ideal world

Hi Aristotle *waves*

thanks bud

I think it's supposed to be Timaeus, whereas the other is Ethics.

Plato believes in the oneness of the Good, Right, and Beautiful. There is an ideal type of things which exists independent of their existence in the multitude (i.e. an ideal man, as opposed to real (wo)men like you me others etc.)
Aristotle is more practical, and materialistic (not really - for him the ideas can't exist independent of their material existence - you go figure out what that means because I didn't). His highest good is happiness, excellence, and seeking knowledge.

So although this picture is somewhat a caricature of the two, it works as an "overview" of both of them, as well as for the remainder of Western philosophy up until Kant (rationalism vs. empiricism).

hi!

Why is Plato depicted in mid-stride and Aristotle with feet firmly planted?

Holy crap... so many layers. Raphael was a genius.

Same reason as their gestures. Again Plato goes beyond (second navigation, etc.) while Aristotle is the practical guy, he looks for the forms in matter and not in the Hyperuranium.

This is why it's my favorite painting ever.

>Plato depicted in mid-stride.

Plato died before he could finish sophist-politician-philosopher trilogy, I guess it could be related to that.

Is this perhaps also why Plato is barefoot and Aristotle has footwear? Plato's freedom from earthly binding contrasted with Aristotle's practicality?

What about the colors they wear? Aristotle's clothes are of earth and sky, and Plato is in red and purple, perhaps representing the divine nature of his philosophy?

Yes and yes. For example whenever Raphael paints a Madonna with child, or even without, she's almost always in red and purple.

But there's more... look at this picture, this is Mary's marriage to Joseph. Notice something?

...Raphael is playing with complementary colors.

By making Plato and Aristotle co-protagonists of the painting, he is not choosing between them, he's choosing both.

He is marrying Platonism, represented not just by the philosopher himself but by the Timaeus Plato is holding, with Aristotelianism, represented by Aristotle's Ethics.

I can't stress enough what an amazing painting it is and what a way to encapsulate the Reinassance, he wrote a manifesto with only two words

Tell me more

t. Art pleb