What would be the downsides to making your bones metal?

What would be the downsides to making your bones metal?

death

>arm stuck in door
>permanently bent

It would be very painful

heavy bones :/

You're a big guy

How do?
Bend it back

bones are not just static, they are used for mineral storage. you'd have HUGE calcium deficits

M8 I drink milk every day. I'd be fine.

your an retarded

Yes I an.

They would be very heavy.
The connection between "bone" and muscle would not be very good.
There would be problems with calcium homeostasis.

Say goodbye to your red blood cells

>make them out of mercury
>never stuck in anything
>make them out of calcium
>no more milk
>make them out of metallic hydrogen
>can fly

>2017
>not using cerium oxides as storage

Magnets. Also if you were standing near a radio tower or other large source of EM waves your bones would heat up from induction.

We don't have a way to connect tendons to metal, so you'd collapse into a blob.

Airport security checks

What are clips?

A very bad way to connect tendons to metal. The huge difference in stiffness between metal and tendons will create stress concentrations that will reduce max load capacity.

What if you have a little metal ring on the bone where the tendon ties on to?

BUT CALCIUM IS A METAL!!!

For you
Metal doesn't regenerate.

Enjoy your lack of red blood cells and lymphocytes.

The difference in stiffness is still a problem. This means load is not transferred to the metal bone and the muscle could rip out.

>this thread

Fun fact: There's a skeleton living inside of you.

Titanium foam or weave, niggers.

100% possible and none of the downsides, besides being a bit heavier.

Bones are living tissue, they're not Kerbal Space Program struts. You can't just replace them with a stronger material.

You can grow the bone inside the weave.

Actually implanting it would be the worst job but I don't think its impossible.

>make them out of calcium
But user, aren't they already made from calcium?

You'd have a boner ALL the time instead of just some times

Pretty much.

Metal is utterly retarded, but very robust plastic sounds rather useful.

Ofc there are the problems are anons mention like blood cell production, bone mark, etc.

There would be no downside as long as you keep going and make everything else in your body metal too.
Fleshlets won't last long in the coming singularity.

Imagine falling off a bike and bending your leg

thank mr skeltal!

Beep Booop

The cold in the winter.

Calcium IS a metal

Biweekly blood transfusions

Hematopoietic stem cells wouldn't be able to leave nor intake the nutrients to be synthesized in your bone marrow so you would have no red blood cells nor white blood cells.

maybe you can't

rejected by the rest of the body
doesn't do what the bones do (produce blood, regenerate, etc)
too heavy for your physiology, will cause slowness and damage to body
definitely result in death

I had to scroll way too far down to read this. This should be the first thought you have if you have a decent understanding of the body. Veeky Forums confirmed bio-brainlets

it's hydroxylapatite, not pure calcium

If they were made of some type titanium foam alloy that might be doable. For example hip replacements are just solid metal and it is okay.

youd sink

the human body rusts even titanium implants

be just a little creative, we are not talking about solid metal bones. Try to peek out of your box.

thank mr skeltal

Generally speaking, if you even consider a possibility of replacing your organic bones with metal ones, you don't really know much about the bones themselves. A lot of people have this wrong preconception that bones are a static, kind of "dead" tissue. It's completely wrong though. Go google some bone tissue, look at the haversian system, your bones are actually in the constant state of change just like all the other organs, they exchange substances with the rest of the organism, they aren't merely a pillar. Bone marrow is the key component of the lymphatic system, also the red bone marrow produces red blood cells. Bones are also a calcium storage.

Does the majority of sci think all our bones are just lifeless matter with no other function than being a robust frame for other tissue??

>expecting Veeky Forumsfags to understand basic physiology
most people on this board have no knowledge outside of their narrow field, in addition to being stupid as fuck

I know a guy with a bunch of metal ribs, a metal nose, and a metal kneecap. He doesn't seem to have many problems with it.

thank mr skeltal

>making bones out of pure calcium metal
>when your body is 99%water
The absolute madman

That's why you create a framework for your actual bone to grow into.

Think of it as reinforced concrete.

You now have the best of both worlds.

You don't have a bone in your dick you dumbass

maybe you dont

Holy fuck you ar3 a genius

No Blood Cells coming out from your Bones's marrow
>heavy bones :/
& very heavy bones that don't regenerate
= Death

use aluminum or something that's bendy innit

llmoa check out this dicklet

thanks, captain obvious. Everyone here knows that, on the other hand you are a fucking uninformed retard.
Just google titanium foam bones, how foam structure helps the bone to get integrated, etc.
Goddamn Veeky Forums, use some imagination.

Good post

you would never be able to find buried treasure with a metal detector

thank mr skeltal

This

In case you haven't got the real answer yet, here it is:

Your body must keep the pH of your blood stable, or else you'd die. Too acidic, too basic, you fuck up homeostasis and die.

So in a healthy human, if your blood becomes too acidic, your bones release bicarbonate (which is basic) to balance the blood. Failure to balance the blood pH can result in acidemia.

Also, bones have the roles of producing blood cells, it has some immune roles, and it requires flexibility. Metal is way too dense, and way too inflexible.

And there are some piezoelectric functions of the bone that have yet to be discovered, but which are important. For instance, bones might generate a lot of energy simply by being used, and this energy might be important for use, or for signalling.

Lastly, bones need to be remodeled all the time. If bones cannot be remodeled, they won't stay efficient for the tasks you are partaking in. Look up Wolff's law. Bone is constantly changing shape, and this is important for functioning correctly.

Metal wouldn't work, at least not now. Maybe if an animal evolved for millions of years eating a diet incredibly high in iron, then maybe the animals osteoblasts would start using iron, but not now. If you simply covered a humans bones in metal, wolverine style, you would fuck shit up. There would be a huge immune reaction, and the human would die.

So it only works on a human like wolverine who is impervious to damage, illness and can regenerate extremely quickly and constantly.

BUMP

>bone marrow
you would die

>bones release bicarbonate
>bones have anything to to whatsoever with pH regulation
wat

>legs amputee after accident
>die because ph imbalance
sasuga scienceguys you never cease to amaze

They're already made of metal.

the real problem over here

>every mineral can have metallic properties under the right condition s

You wouldn't be able to make new blood cells to replace the old ones in your body.

thank mr skeltal

thank mr skeltal

> metal
>being rejected

>befriending Cybermen

underrated

thank mr skeltal

>making your bones metal
i cant imagine being this autistic desu
i thank the gods every day

AAAHHH DEAR GOD I SUCK BIG FUCK I SUCK FFUCFUCKING FFFUCK FUCKING CUNT FUCK

thank mr skeltal

you are part of a little group of intelligent people here.

FPBP

thank mr skeltal

A fuckload of heavy possibly-toxic particles in your bloodstream - oxidated metals etc.
Increased weight
Inability for doctors to unfuck you when youj break something
>your limbs bend instead of breaking/you'd need to weld them back together or replace them entirely
the intense heat from welding is impractical, for deep fractures, you'd just have to get the bones pulled out and replaced

Fucking hell. I made this thread ages ago. How is it still up?
Now, what if you didn't make the bones entirely out of metal and just replace your bone with titanium foam reinforced bone?

this. our bones are red from all the warm blood

this is the funniest thing i have seen in weeks

quads confirms it

Rolling on the floor.

Magneto

thank mr skeltal

Corrosion?

thank mr skeltal