What the fuck was this degenerates problem? How the fuck was he not arrested?

What the fuck was this degenerates problem? How the fuck was he not arrested?

Other urls found in this thread:

video-cdn.indiewire.com/previews/a7yZWdIF-PbCxl3wn
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He was arrested, several times.

He was fucking great, dude. I love all of his work.

The fact that it happened several times indicates that he was not punished thoroughly

Lmao I forgot about that reference.

the fact that he was arrested several times indicates that arresting a person doesn't make them stop committing crimes, so why do it?

"The British Army's attitude towards training is, if a man dies when you hang him, then keep hanging him until he gets used to it." - Spike Milligan

what the fuck was Burroughs' problem? morphine addiction, you simple forest turd.

i like most of his stuff, but when he gets a serious Cutup going on, i often zone out and skip ahead to where he starts to be coherent again.

Cutups are fun, but i think he read too much into them.

>why should we put murderers in prison? it won't stop them from murdering!
this is how stupid you sound right now.

All it means is that we shouldn't imprison murderers to prevent murder. We can still imprison them to keep them secluded from the rest of society.

and why? perhaps so they stop murdering people? hm? maybe that might be the reason to isolate murderers? hm? hmmmmm?

Several things were wrong with him. He was gay at a time when it was socially unnaceptable and downright dangerous. He had isolated, unloving parents. He had money to support a very destructive lifestyle. He was too curious and smart for his own wellbeing. He was ostracized by his family, and deeply hated himself. From very early on, he was unable or unwilling to show or really feel any emotion, which heroin did not help at all, of course. He lived with regrets for much of life, and did not realize that human connection was the one meaningful thing in life until he was nearing death. The last entry in his diary was "love, most powerful painkiller what there is. LOVE".

Burroughs was a deeply, deeply broken human being. He was a terrible husband, father, a criminal, an addict, and murderer. His one saving grace was writing, which arguably kept him alive throughout his darkest years. Had it not been for that, he would've ended up like most street junkies. Dead from a variety of causes.

Someone who's submitted himself to so much dehumanization cannot come out unscathed.
The simple fact that he was able to produce such great art, however, shows his true humanity, and arguably his motivation to put some kind of positive energy back into the world.

He literally fled the States and lived in Mexico. Then when he killed his wife he got off but on the condition that he had to leave Mexico. It's not like he 'got away with it' he just kept running.

nah man we can have an escape from new york type situation. let them kill one another, just keep it out of our backyards.

>dat evasion from common sense
mkay. we don't lock up murderers to keep them from murdering. that's why we keep sharp things away from them while they're in prison, so they can freely murder whoever they can.

you speak of the way things are. i speak of the way they could be. not even btw

I would see this reality show

They also reference Ginsberg's Howl on that how. Must be a beat fan writer working for the show.

show*

There are literary references in every episode

video-cdn.indiewire.com/previews/a7yZWdIF-PbCxl3wn

>he was able to produce such great art
>"DUDE I SHOT UP SOME JUNK, KILLED MY WIFE AND THEN FUCKED SOME UNDERAGE MEXICAN BOYS LMAO"
>great art

kek

I think that the reason he is beloved is that he provided legitimate escapism for a cowardly readership in a conservative society..

He surely had many readers who wanted to sit in a casbah doing hashish in morrocco with a young lad across from you and your 4th unofficial wife on your arm, hoping that the haze will die away before your dinner party/group sex/heroin binge later on. Instead they were living an episode of mad men, and not the later ones.

kerouac was better tbqh

ginsberg needed to fucking hang

I skip the first two seasons on every rewatch. Betty makes me ill.

You are honestly telling me you would take love over heroin?

Being so fucked up that you can't feel anymore is the only way to live. Love is but vile bitters compared to the gravity of the nod,

Art is subjective. I find his work much more interesting and inspiring than most authors, not because of its fucked up content but because of its originality. Some people find it incredibly funny, and other's see him as a kind of bullshit detector for 20th century America.

Like I said, his life was shit, and to a large extent, he was shit. But personally, for me, he did make great art. Separate the artist from his craft, you dingus.

Kerouac is so fucking boring to me. With the exception of Big Sur, it's all expensive toilet paper.

The Dharma Bums is pretty good.

Yeah the Dharma Bums is just plain fun
You can argue all you want about Kerouac but his prose just makes me beam like a lunatic when I read it, so full of joie de vivre

>Art is subjective

Do facts frustrate you?