Anybody listen to music while working or reading?

>On the topic of music, Slavoj, what do you like?

I love classical music; I’m a mega Wagnerian – Wagner, Schonberg, Mozart, Schubert, Schumann. I listen for hours every day. I work to loud music. […] Of the latest music, I like bands like the German one, Rammstein. I disagree with those who think they are some kind of proto-fascist band. They do this wonderful thing – deconstructing from within; the charm of fascism, overidentifying with it and making it ridiculous. […]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rpGWu7VJbU0
mynoise.net
youtube.com/watch?v=9oujGfvkF1g
youtube.com/watch?v=yDSjzxtXJLE
youtube.com/watch?v=iNJTRhtgIFA
youtube.com/watch?v=E2zbAO5_jCE
youtube.com/watch?v=ykZHqx84YS0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

only field recordings coming from my ice maker or kids talking loudly outside.

pop music like you described is too distracting and i'd imagine a disgrace to them to be used as background music tbqh.

I find instrumental hip hop or jazz works best for me.
Classical music I find is too structured and harmonic so I end up getting distracted more

I assume you heard/read Zizek discussing Wagnar?
That was top notch stuff

>Schönberg
My MAN

youtube.com/watch?v=rpGWu7VJbU0

That lecture for anyone interested

Generally listen to very slow music when there are people around.
Ben Frost's Forgetting You is Like Breathing Water on repeat for the most part.

I mostly enjoy listening to jazz or instrumental hip-hop if I'm going to be listening to music while reading. Anything with lyrics is too distracting for me.

I listen to podcasts while I read.

git good bookfags.

fucking knew zizek liked metal, even if it's only rammstein

Zizek is a badass

He sure is

>Wagner, Schonberg, Mozart, Schubert, Schumann. I listen for hours every day.

My man.

I warned you about Zizek.

Me? I love classical music; I’m a mega Wagnerian – Wagner, Schonberg, Mozart, Schubert, Schumann. I listen for hours every day. I work to loud music.

Seriously, our tastes are identical.

> They do this wonderful thing – deconstructing from within; the charm of fascism, overidentifying with it and making it ridiculous. […]
They never even fooled around with fascist themes before the media accused them of these tendencies following the video for their "Strip" cover. It was always 100% about attention whoring and making bank. There are no less right wing ideologues in Germany as a result of Rammstein. No one thinks fascist body culture is more or less ridiculous as a result of Rammstein. Zizek please.

Usually I don't listen to music when I read, but I recently started reading the hobbit again while listening to dungeon synth and it really contributes to the experience

Oh, for christs sake. He doesn't understand Wagner at all.

Elaborate

music has no capacity for representation
>Wagner btfo
read The Caseof Wagner

It's all about germanic pagan mythology and hearing him trying to twist to fit into some marxist narrative is cringeworthy. Seeing patterns where there aren't any.

wishdom ish pagan

Not to Fiction, Technical Manuals. No music whatsoever.

I do.

Wagner, Mozart, Schumann, and Schubert are great. I don't know Schonberg.

I love Scarlatti, Bach, Handel, Faure, Dvorak, Bartok, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy, Satie, Vivaldi, Brahms, and many others.

Bach and Handel are my favorites.

I also like Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Grant Green, Ray Charles, Nina Simone, and several others.

I really like listening to traditional and modern (though mainly traditional) music from various ethic groups: Celtic, specifically Celtic harp, Argentine harp, Flamenco guitar, Israeli (Jewish), Indian, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian, and Portuguese (Brazilian).

I especially like Japanese chikuzen-biwa and satsuma-biwa epics, as well as Turlough O' Carolan's harp pieces.

Representation of?

If you make an unqualified statement as broad as that, you're sure to be easily proven wrong.

Oh right nevermind, thought you were a serious person for a moment

Work nights and alone, so there's always music: basically jazz, sometimes classical piano, pre- and Baroque stuff (for whatever reason) around the holidays-- for me (and all of Germany) Michael Praetorius is THE composer for the sixth of December through Advent. My guilty pleasure is Telemann. Love Wagner, but he's too spell-binding to have on while reading-- especially the middle period stuff, Tannhaueser, Lohengrin.. That said, I recognize the greatness of everything from T to P, but listen to it only occasionally, the one comic opera, however, just the other night on low. Which gives rise to a question-- You don't mention Wagner's Italian (il viaggo, tell); surely, he is on your list!

Last night night at work: Red Garland trio, some Paul Chambers, and Miles quintet..

Instrumental hip hop and jazz.

Very nice.

>implying zizek is anymore serious than i am

nothing, music distracts me when i'm reading

I listen to different forms of drone when I read. As long as it doesn't rapidly change or steal your attention in some way, it's pleasant.

No, it's distracting
Even "background" music

The idea is that its to cover other more distracting background noises, there's no such thing as complete silence

usually drone and minimal stuff, helps me concentrate.
mynoise.net
ive been using this. my favorite is anamnesis.

i love classical as well, but it makes it feel like backround music when put along with reading, which i don't like to treat it as.

no but not noise per se
i can deal the breathing and heartbeat honking and ac, fans and so on

Yeah I get you, depends what mood I'm in but that stuff can be more annoying for me

zizek legit looks attractive in that photo
(t. hetero female)

do we have pics of young zizek?

i like chillstep
youtube.com/watch?v=9oujGfvkF1g

or older chillout mixes
ajdeeper
youtube.com/watch?v=yDSjzxtXJLE

or springlady, who has some nice themed ones
youtube.com/watch?v=iNJTRhtgIFA

i like that they are unobtrusive, most well done mixes don't randomly change to a jarring fast paced electrofuck song, like a lot of studymix radio stations do for example. they rely on the judgment of the compiler, so you can trust certain ones.

also sometimes baroque or early modern music that is very repetitive and atmospheric
youtube.com/watch?v=E2zbAO5_jCE

post your feet please

I listen to music nearly 100% of the time I write. What I listen to is always dictated by the mood of the scene I'm writing. For instance, if I'm writing a heavy, dark scene, I quite like to listen to David Bowie's instrumental stuff from his Berlin period. There's a lot of really great, dark stuff there that always acts as a shortcut to the darkest parts of my mind.

Music's a powerful goddamn thing. I'll never abandon listening while writing. They're inseparable for me.

Anyone have any classical playlists, I want to start listening to classical but I have no idea where to start

start by learning a little bit about its history so you can break it up into major periods (baroque/classical/romantic/etc.)

then experiment with a few major things from each period, and see what you like. don't assume you're going to like everything. i don't like a lot of stuff by my favourite eras/composers, and some of my favourite stuff, i consider myself lucky that i was at some point forced to listen to it and realise i loved it. always be listening to a little bit of new stuff here and there, and giving it a chance, to expand your taste.

when you do like something, read a little bit about the composer, the traditions he's operating in, if possible where that piece falls in those traditions and in his own style/development as a composer.

different people like different things for vastly different reasons. professional musicians and music theory people will often recommend subtly stereotyped lists of things to you because it's what interests THEM, and what interests them is subjective and shaped by their priorities. that's why it's good to get an idea of the big periods, the major names within those periods, and shop around among different compositions, genres, and composers.

the single best way to develop a lifelong interest in and taste for classical music is to listen to as much as you can, so you can suss out your own preferences. seriously. if you only go by what other people recommend, you'll end up writing off whole periods and artists simply because you assumed the one or two pieces someone recommended to you were representative of that whole period/artist.

if you're bored by sitting still and just listening to the music at first, that's why it really helps to know the history and "story"/point of the piece if it has one. plenty of resources available that will storyboard the whole thing for you.

i'd also recommend reading nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy.

Davis, Miles.. the list go on

Given your penchant for ethnic music, have you heard of the Sublime Frequencies label? It's owned by the Bishop brothers of Sun City Girls fame and they collect rare/forgotten folk records from all over the world.

>kill yourself
>not listening to Rautavaara, Adams, or Satie

check out classicstoday.com

I'm a subscriber, the critics are snobs, and the recommendations are outstanding.

Emancipator is great reading music

Me? I'd have crab legs

How doth thou farties sound mlady?

>listening to classical music while reading

Bunch of walking stereotypes.

He listens to classical music only when he writes.

>germanic pagan mythology
Wich is a focal part of his music.
Did you expect him to talk about counterpoint and harmony? Of course he was going to talk about the themes of the drama.

>and hearing him trying to twist to fit into some marxist narrative is cringeworthy
Given how close was Wagner to anarchist movements till his later year, it's not that far fetched.

A Slovenian of all men should prefer Laibach to Rammstein for a non-fascist band using fascist aesthetics.

I'll snort coke and listen to hardcore music loud enough that my ears ring and once my vision starts to go and I start hyperventilating I'll usually bang out a page or two of my semiautobiographic pomo novel before puking.

>I want to start listening to classical but I have no idea where to start

This is what worked with me 2 years ago, now I'm a classical complete music buff (currently doing ear training, studying advanced theory and learning the piano):
1) as dumb as it may sound, listen to pieces in minor keys. When listening to classical music you will have to just sit there and try to make up of something out of what you're listening to. Consider it a emotional translation. Minor keys pieces are usually closer to what we listen today, especially if you are into /mu/core music. My theory behind this is that somewhere in the 20th century we've lost our collective taste for certain aesthetics, such as the pastoral one.
2)If you're in your home start with piano music, watch orchestral, choral and band music only live until you acquire a taste for complex music in general.
3) avoid most of the most commonly recommended music. Things such as Chopin's nocturnes, Mozart and Haydn in general, or even meme music such as Vivaldi's Four Seasons is wasted on you. Listen instead to Beethoven's piano sonatas in minor keys, starting from the 8th one (chances are that your favourite ones will be the 14th, 17th, 23rd, 29th and 32nd), they're the greatest intro I know of. Also Ravel's piano music (Jeau d'Eaux, Tombeau de Couperin, Gaspard De La Nuit, Pavane for a dead Princess and his Piano Concerto in G Major are pretty close to our modern sensibilities) and Schumann's 2 piano sonatas and piano concerto should be of your liking.
3)once you get comfortable with this music start following your local orchestra (or opera house,if you're interested in that), if you're under 30 the price should be greatly reduced (where I live it's 50% if you're under-30, 75% if you're under 21).
Always keep in mind that listen to a symphiny live and through a recording are completely different experiences, unless you've got a godtier sound system.
Orchestra through headphones: good for listening to the theoric contents (melody, harmony, counterpoint) and to get an idea of the music
Orchestra live: cellos will pierce your soul, wind sections will be heavenly and brass and string sections will overwhelm you and when the music gets loud you will be quite literally drowned in sound. You need a great sound system to replicste that.

Thank you user, great music - please post more. And have a great weekend

Holy shit you're stupid.

Don't shallow read Nietzsche.

>Jazz
>I don't know Shoenberg
>All that namedropping
>...and Handel

JUST

He's talked a lot about Laibach and has been actually involved with the band and the punk movement in Ljubljana, made a movie with them.

I listen to vaporwave mixes if there's someone else in home because my mom doesn't know what low volume means or is actually deaf. I rather to read without music, though.

Come on, Rammstein is a rock band. I'd go as far as to say they're closer to Depeche Mode than they are to Black Sabbath or Judas Priest

youtube.com/watch?v=ykZHqx84YS0

He looks very charismatic in that photo. It looks like an old photo too.

Reading to ambient, downtempo, field recordings or some noise works well for me. It's never too distracting if it's very minimal.

Any dungeon synth music you could recommend? All I really know is the ambient music that Varg put out in prison.

What a pleb.

Those names are pretty standard actually.

I think you're just jelly.

Also, Handel was 1,000,000X the genius you'll ever be.