Tell me about Faulkner

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MTPxWkBgW6U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why does he smoke the pipe?

He's a prosefag and, most importantly, a hack.

A lot of royalties, for a hired gun!

I didn't expect much but was absolutely blown away by As I Lay Dying

picked up habit from his cat garfunkel

If I start smoking, will I die?

The only good thing he ever did was lay the groundwork of McCarthy.

It would be extremely stylish

Faulkner's writing was good between TSATF and AA! and maybe A Fable.

The guy's life was a complete sham though. He wanted to be a war hero so badly, but couldn't get into the USAF in time for the world war. So he became a pilot for Canada briefly and came up with the entirely fake history to impress people. Otherwise he was nearly always broke, wrote cheesy shit for Hollywood to make money, and drank his life away.

But his views on Southern culture are pretty spot on, and the guy can wax an incredible sentence. Worth reading for those two things alone.

I picked up a book of his the other day, took one look at the cover, and realized that it contained nothing of significance.

>he was nearly always broke, wrote cheesy shit for Hollywood to make money, and drank his life away

22-year-old me would have jumped at the prospect of such a life. The temptation arises now and then, but no one would pay for the cheese I grind between spasms.

“...I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”

For you.

Ol' Buk on Faulkner: "He's one of the worst practitioners of that [boring, vapid writing]".

youtube.com/watch?v=MTPxWkBgW6U

A mastermind

"The Sound and the Fury" is the best English book I have ever read.

He was a bit of an alcoholic though.

My girlfriend reads him a Flannery O'Connor a lot.

Now where could my pipe be?

He was a snazzy dresser.
Always had nice shoes.

lol upvote

lol, deft