Anyone know the book mentioned on the left?

Anyone know the book mentioned on the left?

they're not referring to a specific book, they're creating a synecdoche/archetype of the Western bildungsroman narrative.
for what it's worth I believe that image is used on the cover of penguin's edition of Notes from the Underground translated by Coulson.

Weird cause it's a self-portrait of kramskoy

man i hate japs

That picture isn't exactly fair though

"Do you know what? The Russians, they'd only be an eight o' clock breakfast for the Japanese." - James Joyce

>five murakami books

trolled hard

There are actually six. At least four of them should be replaced, but I'll have to figure out what with

might as well be the Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge

Bump

I thought it was The Red and the Black until it suddenly became Conversación en la Catedral without the annoying love triangle.

murakami is so lovable though

Not really related to OP because obvious bait, but do any other closeted weebs here think that Madoka was actually pretty good? The narrative wasn't shoved down your throat and endlessly extrapolated, and there were actually some themes involved. Also the animation was pretty good.

Like, at least as good if not better than wind up bird chronicle.

>tfw you prefer the actual show in the picture on the right over the story on the left

Madoka was good shit desu

It'd be praised on most of Veeky Forums if it didn't have such a rabid fanbase. They're the type of people that will recommend it to literally anyone with no regard for taste, context, or the person's expectations.
Yuki Yuna is better though.

>Yuki Yuna
It came out literally the month I stopped watching seasonal anime. Worth going down the rabbit hole again for?

It's an odd duck. It's like 60% slice of life and if you're expecting Madoka 2.0 you'll be disappointed, since it takes even longer for shit to really hit the fan. When it does it's pretty good though, and personally I'm a fan of (sort of a plot spoiler here) cosmic horror in a somewhat traditional sense - madoka was cosmic horror but it was a bit understated, and this is a lot more obviously aping the "the universe as a whole is uncaring and vicious" shtick".

Ultimately, it's only 12 episodes. If you liked Madoka's characters but thought they were a bit one dimensional you'll probably like it.

Spoilers again: I hate trying to recommend cosmic horror because half the time just knowing that there is a descent into cosmic horror is a spoiler in itself. Fuck.

It's a mix of fairy tales, which are the second foundation of magical girls after Bewitched, and the Germans which Urobuchi loves. Timelines were a mistake, though.

Weebs in the West and otaku in the East are illiterate plebs and are almost never equipped to even see the omnipresence of Carl Jung in their beloved medium, see the eight episode of Little Witch Academia and me pressing ctrl+f Jung, Freud, unconscious, archetype, psychoanalysis, psychology... to see no non-plebs. However, plenty of "WTF did I just watch?" types. They spend a good deal of their lifetime on a hobby they understand so little of, and I don't mean the Japanese language or culture, for Jung is a bloody Western writer.

They're so useless all they ever manage to accomplish, interpretation-wise, is deciphering alphabets, and only Westerners can.

Lotsa slice of life, and people butthurt at the ending. It has quite the anti-WW2-era Buddhist approach to self-sacrifice going on but, as with several anime, it shows the problem but the characters don't fight it too much. Like, war is terrible, you know? Here are some damn cool action scenes to prove it! That said, Tougou Mimori best girl.

I much prefer the Christian existentialism and animation in Tenshi no Tamago, beautiful visuals and also a solid pleb filter, since nobody even reads the Bible these days.

It's stupid shit

you're stupid shit

Yuki Yuuna is simple more brutal than madoka, even there they have the option to off themselves (yeah maybe the timelines made it pointless but still, better than in YY).

wrong

>man I have an entire nation for producing a niche genre that is the eastern equivalent of YA fiction aimed at illiterate teenagers and manchildren

Good post user, I've been feeling the same since I've become more well-read. Anime is actually more interesting when you can review it philosophically.

false comparison
watch penguindrum

The left one actually sounds pretentious and repressed. You can tell that the hypothetical author of that book and those types of books wants to write something like what's on the right or would deeply enjoy it... they're just too pretentious and ashamed to admit it.

The one on the right at least is honest in being entertaining and erotic. The one on the left sounds like it was written by some faggot trying to get into a woman's pants by looking 2deep and 2mysterious4u

I like penguindrum but it's all style over substance senpai. I liked the overall theme of family n shit, but it could've been executed better if the story was the focus cos DAMN some parts dragged on (especially at the end).

>DUDE PENGUINS LMAO

>Anime is actually more interesting when you can review it philosophically.
Most importantly to me, you also begin to understand WHY you like certain things and dislike others.

>style over substance
get out of Veeky Forums