Be a very smart intellectual

>be a very smart intellectual
>early college degree and fellowship
>write magnum opus that's main message is to overcome yourself, and through doing so create a better world for all
>200 years later get co opted by reddit and popular culture, until your name is synonymous with nihilism, existential dread, and a rejection of life
>this couldn't be further from what you actually wrote

JUST

Yep. And the kids that populate Veeky Forums these days perpetuating all the reddit memes, showing their capability for independent thought and critical understanding.
Also, Nietzsche was much more than just "a very smart intellectual".

>he hasn't combined Nietzschism and Egoism to become the true uberman
Heh

Tee bee haich hadn't read much of him until recently, then read through thus spoke zarathustra and beyond good and evil

I was shocked by the dissonance between what public perception of his ideas are and what they actually are.

I wonder how he came to be the go to guy to describe edgelord "nothin personnel" behavior

God damn it I hate this plebeian reading of Nietzsche. Yes he wrote polemics, but everybody did in the Germany of his time! It's not to do with him being a wicked sick cynical nihilistic sense of humour BADASS!

If you haven't seen and familiarized yourself thoroughly with every opera of Richard Wagner and Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy then you're getting off to a wrong start in reading Nietzsche.

His entire later work again Christianity is a reaction to the unification of the Reich and R.Wagner's late mysticism in Parsifal!

Easy: it's very very typical for edgy teenagers to shallow-read him and justify that way their superiority complex, their edgyness and loneliness and their social ineptitude -also their 'nihilism'.

Maybe the Alfred Hitchcock film Rope played into it. Also Hitler

(cont.)

99% of the time I hear the word Nietzsche it's spoken either in this Reddit stereotype (also that moustache photo was edited by Elizabeth Forster-Nietzsche to make his moustache bigger, obviously to convey exactly this epic manly image she shlicked herself to of him), or he's spoken about by morons like Michel Foucault and his lousy followers.

Why can't people even familiarize themselves with the actual text and it's targets? I don't even see how you can even read anything by Nietzsche without having already seen the Ring des Nibelungen and Tristan for instance.

The shitty translators Kaufmann (American humanist popularizer) and incredibly dated Hollingdale are partly to blame, luckily Oxford World's Classics have been coming out with new translations of his books which are superior, but everyone on Veeky Forums still buys the Penguins...

Nietzsche's reception has been so maddeningly bad! I've avoided him because of this for so long, and have only begun to love and understand him after immersing myself in Richard Wagner.

It's so bizarre how people imagine that Nietzsche's 'enemies' if you can call them that, can be just dismissed. Everything Nietzsche was doing, was to bring certain 'Idols' of his onto the stage of his life, and battling their influence, trying to break out of their conceptual edifice in the 'revel'. Nietzsche's style was oppositional, but he didn't concern himself with battling and opposing the local criminal or petty thief, and so the people he enters into encounters with, are to be taken very seriously.

Getting rid of this oppositional core of Nietzsche's revel, which isn't dialectic though resembles it, but something else, and in a way something far more intimate than any rational, commercial bourgeois debate.

We've ended up canonizing Nietzsche despite him being a self imposed exile from every canon, submitting him to a trivialization far separate from the passion and despair of the spirit of music and drama which formed him.

I listened to all of Wagner's (major) operas. Love Tannhauser and Parsifal.

You I like.

>be preacher in rural backwater
>have as your main teaching compassion for others, even those who hate you
>practice teachings, even when you'te betrayed by your own followers and tortured to death
>2000 years later get co-opted by LARP crusaders on /pol/ because "following you is the white thing to do, also turn the other cheek really means violently conquering Jerusalem and killing everyone who disagrees with me also you totally weren't Jewish you actually were a full blooded Aryan Germanic SHUT UP MOM IM TRYING TO WIN THE RACE STRUGGLE IN FAVOR OF OUR GLORIOUS WHITE RACE YOU WATCH ON THE DAY OF THE ROPE WHEN THE KIKES AND THE NIGGERS RAPE YOU TO DEATH YOU AND ALL THE HOT GIRLS WHO WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH FAT NEET NAZIS LIKE ME WILL BE THINKING OF ME DOOS FAULT DOOS FAULT YOU FUCKING BITCH"

EVEN BIGGER JUST

Where do i start with Wagner and how to i get to "know" him?

How do I properly start with Nietzche?

Thus spoke Zarathustra

his work in chronological order

Thus spoke Zarathustra

>applying darwinism to metaphysics
>its tru because overcoming urself is like evolution lulz
>kant is an idiot xd
Bravo Nietzsche. Where would we be without you?

It's usually recommended to read Beyond Good and Evil first, also you can go for the Geneaology of Morals imo.
Twilight of the Idols is his self-summary of his philosophy.

This should be the last one you read, as it assumes you already understand Nietzsche's philosophy.
You can read it directly, it wont kill you, but you will probably miss important stuff.

Take a look at yourself right now

Not an argument brainlet :)

Neither was yours. Bravo.

This desu.

Well his work breaks down into this:

Three romantic Operas: --- none of these are his masterpieces, they stick (at least more than his later works) to German operatic conventions of the time, and are overshadowed by his later works, but they are still very good in their own right.

Der fliegende Holländer
Tannhäuser (Not to be missed, get the Gwyneth Jones' Bayreuth version of 1978 on DVD, pirate it or something, remember to find good quality torrents)
Lohengrin

Wagner then abandoned 'Opera' (to return in Meistersingers), in favour of different genres of 'music drama' he created, all his late works here are considered his masterpieces:

Bühnenfestspiel:
(aka. the Ring cycle)
Das Rheingold
Die Walküre
Siegfried
Götterdämmerung

This is his magnum opus and it'd be good to start with it. Levine's Metropolitan opera version is grotesque in that they spent too much money on massive constumes trying to make it a traditional version, and the singing is flat, music is good however, but the acting is atrocious and nobody moves on the stage. The Barenboim/Kupfer version now on blu-ray is one of the best recent productions, with brilliant singers and actors, superb music, but the costumes are just a little dated in that it'd take a little getting used to. It doesn't patronize your imagination though and isn't as ridiculously over-dressed as Levine's version, very well made --- I consider it the best production.

Then there's the French version of Boulez and Chereau, the Jahrhundertring (Centenary Ring). This is another brilliant production, with the setting controversially modernised, but introduced movements and stagings which are now considered classic and iconic.

Someone new to the Ring should watch the Barenboim Kupfer version, it's excellent and doesn't actually (despite it's modernized design) in fact change any of the fundamentals of the Ring, the Rhinemaidens are not cancan dancers as in Chereau's version, the Gods are not aristocrats for instance, the subtitles which come with the blu-ray are perfect too.

Barenboim/Kupfer's version is full of movement and the characterisation superb, before watching however you want to read up a little on the basic outlines of the Ring cycle, there are good companion books (for all the operas) such as pic related, which has the entire libretto (and is great to read because the Ring is a poem on it's own account), but you don't need to be a scholar, you can dive in.

Handlung: (Literally 'Act', as in a single dramatic and musical movement)

Tristan und Isolde

A masterpiece, Barenboim and Chereau's 2015 edition is a good one. It's also a good starting point, though by no means does that mean it's for beginners. It's up there with the Ring. Incidentally Nietzsche's favourite.

His only late Opera, comedy:
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Bühnenweihfestspiel (consecreated stage festival play):

Parsifal (last work, to be approach last).

Are there are prerequisites before starting his work?

Indeed brainlet, it was a summary of his philosophy which I encourage everyone to verify for themselves like the very smart intellectuals they are.

>When someone talks about infinite recurrence as if it's a theory

Whatever makes you sleep well at night :)

Schopenhauer is a very important influence. The philosophical contrast between them is really beautiful.
But really, Nietzsche negates basically all western philosophy -you would have to read it all, pretty much. user once said: "leave Nietzsche for last, he's the endgame of philosophy".

that downy actually looks pretty smart and handsome for a downy desu.

maybe we should let them grow old.

Yes, operas of Wagner esp. Tristan, classical tragedy, Schopenhauer, a good knowledge of Goethe and Winckelmann's (classical and romantic German aesthetics)...

>when someone talks about eternal recurrence without knowing a dint about Wagner, the theorist of infinite recurrence (eternal melody), who's dramas turn around a singular great event, and who's Ring is literally the eternal recurrence as the ending rejoins the beginning.

>Nietzsche negates basically all western philosophy -you would have to read it all, pretty much. user once said: "leave Nietzsche for last, he's the endgame of philosophy".

This is a meme made from a misreading of the Gotzen-Dammerung.

I approve this well-written post.

Heading to the gettin' place to download Wagner's works.

Nietzsche explicitly rejects Darwinism.

But OK.

>mfw people don't realise Nietzsche was an idealist who took aesthetics as the primary philosophy

So there is no way to enjoy Nietzsche's writings without being extensively well versed in all philosophy predating him?

>No way to enjoy
What? Just read him.

You sound triggered brainlet. It's nothing to do with me. Everyone can verify for themselves whether Nietzsche was or was not an overenthusiastic fanboy of Darwin's applying a biological theory to logical space and metaphysics in a philosophically untenable manner and whether he hated Kant simply because those patriarchal prussian words were simply too complicated for our little philologist. N's critique of the copr suggests that this is the case but nobody should take my word for it. Taking my word would be the Nietzsche Way.

It's fine if Nietzsche/you don't want to play the game but please be a good boy, m'very smart intellectual, and drop the pretense that you are. It's kinda embarassing.

You are the living definition of a pseud. Clearer case I've seen this week.

Not at all, to be well versed in all prior philosophy is in fact impossible and not desireable. Someone with a disease for scholarship to that level would be compulsively looking for what they already know in everything else. You just jump in. If you're not an idiot you'll instantly see the falsity of any of the reductions of Nietzsche to any of his 'theories' as they're vulgarly called.

He starts from Wagner, and his work is a brilliant example of dramatic, aesthetic writing, especially in Zarathustra. At his best he's an engaged and dramatic writer who's sentences are performative as much as intellectual. (He gave as his purpose to inspire other rhapsodists or revellers).

It's rather clear who's feeling triggered here, the incessant need of putting "brainlet" in every post you type up makes that evident enough

>You sound triggered brainlet.

Wrong. He rejects in a categorical and anti-intellectual manner the philosophical speculations and implications at his time because of his verysmart syndrome. Darwin was his idol. Sorry brainlets but Nietzsche was a 5/10 thinker.

Nietzschean dialectics everybody.

>Nietzschean dialectics
>Nietzsche
>Dialectics

Stop embarrasing yourself kiddo. Go watch tv or something.

wtf I hate Nietzsche now

Nietzsche? Sorry, I'm a philosopher. I shouldn't waste my time with unsubstantiated opinions

I'm an Englishman.

>be an overzealous philologist
>have no philosophical background except for translating presocratics
>never studied Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume. Kant
>write low IQ magnum autismo that's main message is to equate truth to life making a complete fool of yourself in the eyes of science and professional philosophy
>200 years later still laughed out of court by anyone capable of critical thought
>a fucking horse
JUST

The physiognomy of a school shooter. Color me surprised.

What is the Magnum opus which says to overcome yourself? I'm interested in reading that

Catholic here. I still have to read this fuck but Peterson helped me understand he's actually a genius and not just a tipper. A much more important man than I thought.

> I am actually one of the smartest people I know

kek this

Also
>20 unique posters
Lads..

>recognize early in life that nihilism is going to be the bane of human existence
I remember when I was 16 too.

Nietzschefags btfo

>>have no philosophical background except for translating presocratics
>>never studied Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume. Kant
Both wrong.

>>write low IQ magnum autismo that's main message is to equate truth to life making a complete fool of yourself in the eyes of science and professional philosophy
Nietzsche's early fame should be linked with his Birth of Tragedy, wich immediatly entered the philological and philosophical canon.

BTFO

>be a complete fucking idiot
>too stupid to understand Nietzsche
>spend your valuable free time dissing him in multiple threads, using shitty arguments that have nothing to do with his writings

It sucks to be you.

No! You use ad hominem! I win fallacy fuck. You dweebs obviously don't understand neetzsche. German is my native language brAinlet

All opinions are unsubstantiated.

The reception speaks for itself. Western tradition won, Nietzsche lost.

Deal with it.

Yeah that's what I would say too if I was a nietzsche nuthugger.

the lack of understanding is exactly why you should read it first

once you have finished his work and reread it your understanding will be much more impactfull

Into the trash, monkey.

>unable to think for himself
>needs other people to tell him what to think
i know brainlets like you don´t understand this but if you read something you can think about it by yourself instead of having to always have every bit of context
i know this is really incredible

THE BIRTH OF TRAGEDY IS HIS BEST WORK

How is it like not being able to think without memes or simplifications?

you were a nihilist?

But the Neetch influenced damn near every philosopher after him, like Kant. How's that for "losing"?

he looks always so disgusted and disgusting without his moustache
It's the upper lip he was hiding behind there

110% kek

Kek indeed

*just like Kant
expressed myself badly there.

>say most people are going to misread your work
>maybe at most two people will read it and not freak the fuck out
he knew

i don't get it, can you make the joke a little more rudimentary for me please

How can you shallow read him when he plainly states his ideas in his introduction work such as Beyond Good & Evil

Fucking terrible misinterpretation, hijacking and undermining of philosophical thought.. for what end goal?

It's VERY easy to shallow read Nietzsche.
There's no end goal. Some people out there are fucking retarded, user.

That's basically Evola user

Wtf I'm pagan now

At least read an intro to philosophy text if you have no background. Then read a few Greek tragedies, there are only a few in existence and most are pretty short, so just pick a few from each author that interest you. Just make sure you read the Bacchae.
Then read the Birth of Tragedy, follow up with Beyond Good and Evil.

>>have as your main teaching compassion for others, even those who hate you

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

This is the first time I encounter someone on Veeky Forums who read Nietzche correctly.

neechee posting has got out of hand lately

>have as your main teaching compassion for others, even those who hate you

"no"
this is the equivalent of the misreading of Nietzsche that OP mentioned for Jesus

Didn't condemn widespread slavery though.

What

NT has bullet points on how to be a good slave owner.

I enjoy Wagner, but havent' gotten that deep into him, is this really necessary?

key word: good

Nigga no...obviously not.

Some slave owners were better than others, but were there "good" slave owners?

i don't see why not

There wasn't a place without something like slavery then and no slave-less time to lack book onto

True. But coming from the "god" angle that's no excuse.

People misunderstand Nietzche so much. Nazis wanted him to be a race supremacist and he had to constantly fight them and tell Nazis to fuck off with their misinformation.

I don't see how it isn't. The christian promise is not to better or even change the condition of those who suffer in this world, including slaves

Nigga yes, he wanted the spiritual ego to be so big and self sufficient as to not need anything else. He just didn't want the abuse of it which he called the Titanic Fall

What? Nietzsche fought the Nazis

Yeah that's the point. His sister basically screwed over his publications and started spreading misinformation about the intent of his writings. They turned ubermensch into some weird nationalistic race ideology when Nietzche himself fucking hated nationalism and other herd mentality movements.

What did Nietzche believe? Basically:
>don't be a fucking pleb
>stop accepting your position in life and taking values that are convenient (e.g. being an unlovable virgin and claiming you are holy for being celibate)
>live life to its fullest, take some chances and aim high