"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger."

>"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger."

What about mutilation, paralysis, PTSD, depression, etc.? I could go on.

Nietzsche was a complete moron. The one thing I hate more than SJWs are retarded Neecheefags.

Other urls found in this thread:

ambrosekane.com/2016/05/29/venezuelan-prisoner-burned-with-boiling-plastic-and-forced-to-eat-the-flesh-of-a-corpse-warning-graphic/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ambrosekane.com/2016/05/29/venezuelan-prisoner-burned-with-boiling-plastic-and-forced-to-eat-the-flesh-of-a-corpse-warning-graphic/

I guess the protein from the human flesh may have made him stronger

He wrote that after having bed-ridden cause of terrible, painful illnesses and headaches.

>Taking it literally
Kys brainlet.

If that prisoner can't overcome the trauma he will be as good as dead in Nietzsche's eyes.
If that prisoner can overcome the trauma he will be certainly stronger.

They made him eat his own fingers after so he may have gotten even stronger

Immagine the mental strenght you need to overcome that experience.
If you can do it you will OBVIOUSLY be a stronger person (inb4 you're talking about physical strenght).

Speaking seriously (granted the guy didn't get killed after) I doubt he did overcome it, if you see the second part of his torture he seems psychotic

Then he will have to live a inherently life-denying life, rooted in fear and horror. That's not literally death, but in Nietzsche's thought it's pretty close to it.

I'm pretty sure the correct translation is "What doesn't DESTROY you, makes you stronger.".

>so long and goodniiiiiiiiiiight
>so loeeeeng and goodni-ighiiit

umbringen == more poetic, less specific form of kill... kinda like annihilate

Makes the quote way better. Neetchee's right btw

Dementia doesn't annihilate you, but it sure as fuck doesn't make you stronger, either.

>not being well versed and articulated enough to form your thoughts in a way that allows no misinterpretation

Kill yourself famalam

>One of the most brilliant writers in the last 200 years is "not well versed and articulated enough".
He just didn't want retards like you actually getting anything from him. It worked. Feelsgoodman.

>that moment when your opponent has to reasort to ad hominems in order to make themselves feel better
feelsgoodman

Btw, cretins who take a philospher's words (any philosopher's words for that matter) as gospel are the real brainlets

There are intelligent people who disagree with NEETzsche. Disliking him isn't indicative of being stupid. Sorry if that somehow hurts your inconsequential feelings

>There are intelligent people who disagree with Nietzsche
Woah! Didn't know that!! That's awesome user! They must be right then!

Can you please tell me why you folk watch this kind of stuff? Genuinely curious.

Genuinely curious

>Nietzsche was a complete moron. The one thing I hate more than SJWs are retarded Neecheefags.
Same here. They're really nasty too.

Annihilate is a shit translation for "umbringen". Kill is much better.

Look, you brain-dead miscarriage, Nietzsche is objectively wrong on this issue and I can prove it by a simple syllogism:

>Nietzsche asserts that WHATEVER doesn't destroy/annihilate/kill a person, makes him stronger
>The word "whatever" literally means, according to the dictionary: "anything or everything that"
>There are instances, however, where a person doesn't get destroyed/annihilated/killed, but doesn't get stronger as a result, e.g., dementia, Parkinson, paralysis.
>Thus, Nietzsche's assertion is false.

Sorry if I insulted your favorite homeboy. Maybe if you stopped sucking his dick, you could engage in meaning analysis and stop being such a gargantuan chuff.

As a native German speaker, this.

Those illnesss will annihilate one's persona.

Umbringen is a euphemism for killing. Literally "up/about-bringing", making it so somebody's "time is up", finishing somebody (off).

This just proves Nietzsche's unironically sophisticated self-help for autistic faggots like himself.

>Citation needed

no, thats like saying entrance is euphemism for door.

>Look, you brain-dead miscarriage

>brain-dead miscarriage
>trying this hard
>getting THIS mad
It is very obvious that you feel the need to discredit Nietzsche. You insist on taking him literally -as you just did on that last edgy, pathetic post- and misinterpret him, and then you ramble about "cretins who take him literally". It's really entertaining to see such an imbecile getting so emotionally involved in a conversation on Veeky Forums. So much for your pretention of independent thought.
Kill yourself and stop wasting air, braindead neanderthal.

>dementia
>parkison in his late stages
They will literally kill your coherence, meaning that your persona will just be a shell of its former self.

>paralysis
Depending on how invasive it is one can larn how to cope with it. It will require immense strenghts, but this is what Nietzsche was saying in the first place.

Good answer.

Compare "Etwas wird dich umbringen" to "Etwas wird dich töten".

Umbringen is far less about the gory details and implied death as it is about saying "this will harm you badly".

nietzsche became interested in the effect of clarity of mind during weakness of body. something which was already remarked by goethe and schopenhauer either through own experience or from anecdotes about artists who became super creative during tuberculosis etc.
it's a signature attitude of decadence.

yep, thats what i meant with "more poetic" it's more vague and less common than simply kill. although saying "ich bring dich um" is a common phrase. nietzsche held balance between sounding sophisticated and at the same time rustic in zarathustra, trying to emulate Luther's achievement with bible translation.

>They will literally kill your coherence, meaning that your persona will just be a shell of its former self.

Yeah, but they don't kill your philosophical identity, which was what Nietzsche was talking about.

Also, in the case of paralysis, how is learning to cope with it equal "getting stronger"? All you do is accept shit you don't have the power to change. You literally can't do otherwise. There's no need for "strength".

kill yourself namefag.
we're all anonymous here. feel the need to identify yourself "OP"? To get attention like a woman? "Look at me, Im OP!!"
Just hang yourself.

I never ramble about "cretins taking him literally". Maybe you have someone other in mind. Also, lol. I disagree with NEETzsche, provide an argent about WHY I do so, you accept what that retard said unquestioningly, and I'M the one who "pretends to form independent thought?"

Also, I make take you more seriously if you had an actual argument/syllogism to disprove my claim, but you fail to provide one, so YOU can go fuck yourself.

>resorts to ad hominems without engaging with the point
I win.

I don't think you'd want to read anything that has been made comepletely unambiguous though. English is not predicate logic. Don't you think your bias against Nietsche blinds you? Not saying he was right btw, I don't know the context of the quote. Probably the essence is just that you grow by experiencing as much as possible (as opposed to isolating yourself)?

>Yeah, but they don't kill your philosophical identity, which was what Nietzsche was talking about.
I disagree, since we're talking about neurodegenerative illnesses. Will is a core concept of Nietzsche's philosophy, and a loss of coherence directly interferes with that.

>Also, in the case of paralysis, how is learning to cope with it equal "getting stronger"?
It's strenght of character. When Nietzsche talks about getting stronger he's not talking about power, influence or physical strenght, that argument is based entirely on introspection.
A man who can cope with paralysis without ever falling into madness or desperation is, for example, stronger in character than me, who can't even begin to think about living in such a situation.

It's not a desirable outcome, but life is suffering in the first place and we as humans can only integrate that suffering in our mindset, making it ours. The example of paralysis is an extreme example, but not so extreme when you consider that Nietzsche wrote that after having spent years in his bed, tormented by headaches and a vast array of illnesses that debilitated almost every part of his body (and keep in mind that he lived this way for his entire adulthood). He wasn't being hypocritical: that consideration came from a extreme scenario too.

>>The word "whatever" literally means, according to the dictionary: "anything or everything that"
Oh, neat, I didn't know Nietzsche wrote in English.

I didn't know you were this stupid.
In German (my native language, btw) the quote is: Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker, which has the same meaning as the English translation.

>Will is a core concept of Nietzsche's philosophy, and a loss of coherence directly interferes with that.

Wrong. Will is not part of the human essence. One born demented is still a human, even if he doesn't display the same degree of conscious deliberation as a sane person does.

German is my native language too. Was != Was auch immer.

>It's strenght of character. When Nietzsche talks about getting stronger he's not talking about power, influence or physical strenght, that argument is based entirely on introspection.

OK. My question is: what good is that kind of strength, though? How do I benefit from it? In the case I get paralyzed, even if I somehow become "stronger in character", my existence as a whole is more miserable. Nietzsche makes it sound as if that something to hope for.

>One born demented is still a human, even if he doesn't display the same degree of conscious deliberation as a sane person does.
Nietzsche would say that you're lacking common sense, since you're trying to apply his maxims to people who have no control over their Will and rationale. At this point it's just semantic, wich doesn't really have anything to do with what N. was saying.

You should practice on your reading comprehension, or try to manage your autism in more useful ways.
That said, Noetzsche wasn't as politically correct as you, and would have not held demented people to the same standards he held great men and artists. There is no point in doing so, nor it's useful.
I've already explained to you multiple times the reasoning and the biographical concepts behind that quote. At this point its meaning should appesr obvious to you, but somehow you can't get over the fact that you can create extreme examples, link them with notions that Nietzsche itself would have rejected, and say that that makes that statement invalid.

Who knows, maybe there are unexamined lives that are worth living, and maybe in very rare cases excellence is not a habit.

Ok, du Spacken, dir ist aber schon bewusst, dass das Wort "was" in gewissen Umständen durch aus, mit dem Englischen "whatever" übereinstimmt, z.B. in diesen Fall. Wie würdest du denn den Satz übersetzen?

>That said, Noetzsche wasn't as politically correct as you, and would have not held demented people to the same standards he held great men and artists.
Too bad, because later in life he became demented himself.

>resorts to ad hominems without engaging with the point
I win.

Neurodegenerative genetic conditions can happen to everyone. That doesn't discredit his philosophy in the slightest.
Also we could say that that illness annihilated him, since he was reduced in a catatonicnstate for a decade.

>>that moment when your opponent has to reasort to ad hominems in order to make themselves feel better
>feelsgoodman

"What does not kill you makes you stronger"
"That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

In fact, the only other translation I can find using the word "whatever" is from The Dark Knight.

What

Haha! You use ad hominem! Loser!

>Nietzsche would say that you're lacking common sense, since you're trying to apply his maxims to people who have no control over their Will and rationale.
That's rich comming from a philsopher, who is supposed to dispel so-called common sense as a profession.

Honestly NEETzsche is turning out to be even worse than Rand.

>This entire thread

All wrong. The real quotation is:

>"What doesn't kill ME, makes ME stronger."

Emphasis on the 'Me.' He was referring to himself.

It's quite possible that for a pleb like you, what doesn't kill you will make you weaker.

Nietzsche, however, was referring to himself. Moreover, his definition of 'strength' is nuanced here. Nietzsche himself was a physically rather weak/frail man, plagued with illness - although he took very long walks/marches around the Swiss mountains à la Caesar to keep himself fit (inactivity is death).

He was referring to his drive/strength of will/etc, which was undeniably very great because he managed to leave so many lasting legacies even in spite of his shit health. I doubt many ITT can say the same tbqh.

Fuck you, shithead. Stop posing as me.

He dispelled Kantian rationalism, not rationality as a whole.
Almost none of his arguments are based on chaotic premises, instead they are usually based on metaphysical statements that appeared obvious to him (and he will usually tell you why) in a way that directly went against scientism, rationalism and German idealism.

It's a shacky system, but it's not a nonsensical one.

He's the favorite philsopher of autists who feel the need to console themselves by worshipping the personalization of everything wrong with them.

Ad hominem. I win

Stop posing as me. That's like the most pathetic thing one can do.

I agree. Posing as you is pretty pathetic.

>Almost none of his arguments are based on chaotic premises, instead they are usually based on
Based on faint ideas about darwinism via spencer, disliking things because they made him feel bad, mythology and being too low IQ for understanding critique of pure reason.

>metaphysical statements that appeared obvious to him (and he will usually tell you why)
Because he had no philosophical background. That's why. Nietzsche was an idiot. Deal with it. Stop being a fucking obscurantist and deal with it you crazy monkey man.

>Nietzsche
>The real quotation
Like many of the great philosophers, Nietzsche has stated the same thing in multiple ways. In Ecce Homo, he uses the third person.
>"Und woran erkennt man im Grunde die Wohlgeratenheit! Daß ein wohlgeratner Mensch unsern Sinnen wohltut: daß er aus einem Holze geschnitzt ist, das hart, zart and wohlriechend zugleich ist. Ihm schmeckt nur, was ihm zuträglich ist; sein Gefallen, seine Lust hört auf, wo das Maß des Zuträglichen überschritten wird. Er errät Heilmittel gegen Schädigungen, er nützt schlimme Zufälle zu seinem Vorteil aus; was ihn nicht umbringt, macht ihn stärker."

>"Nietzche is objectively wrong"
>objectively as in "in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions"
>proof is influenced by personal feelings or opinions
>therefore, proof is invalid and statement is baseless

Would you look at that, it means Nietzche must be objectively right.

Even if that is the case, the other guy's basic premise is still correct. OP and others are assuming he meant physical strength.

Look at this retard.

this

>Based on faint ideas about darwinism via spencer, disliking things because they made him feel bad, mythology and being too low IQ for understanding critique of pure reason.

Those ideas became "faint" only in the post-Kantian philosophy discourse, and the opposition to it was one of Nietzsche's main points. You're critique is excessively naive, you should expand on that.

>Because he had no philosophical background. That's why. Nietzsche was an idiot. Deal with it. Stop being a fucking obscurantist and deal with it you crazy monkey man.
Wrong, Nietzsche had a full, formal education in the humanities (in wich, as far as we know, he always excelled), that culminated with his philological studies (that granted him a surprisingly early tenured position).
He stopped studying philosophy when he started writing Ecce Homo.

>proof is influenced by personal feelings or opinions
How is this the case? Where is my proof influenced by personal feelings? Explain, fucking frog poster.

Show me the flaw in this argument if it's so glaring. You can't, can you? STFU

lmao you take everything out of context and everything literally

if bait 4/10 with your last comment there

Haha, you're hilarious.

>"The sky is blue."
>But sometimes the sky can be purple, orange, even black!
>I AM SO SMART
Keep patting yourself on your back, you truly deserve it. However, every remotely intelligent person already knows that there are exceptions for pretty much every rule and claim, especially when it comes to general principles such as the one proposed by Nietzsche.

So really there is absolutely no need to say "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, except for x, y, z, ..." if you assume that your reader has some sort of common sense.

So yes, you actually are quite the autistic retard.

inb4 ad hominem

>Based on faint ideas about darwinism via spencer

He grasped the basic premise of Darwin's theory. Naturally in the internet age, it's easy for us to look back with derision at those who didn't have the finer details to hand.

Also, his critique of Spencer - apart from his critique of Darwinism - is consistently good.

>dat hidden hand tho

>post-Kantian philosophy discourse
Anglos, everybody.

>mfw I'm a massive faggot

>tfw when that doesn't disprove shit

Common feature in old paintings/photos.

Nietzsche threads should be banned, not because of what nietzsche wrote, but because everyone posts about him when they haven't read him. Even if you read only one book by nietzsche, you can pretty much see that 80-90% of the comments in every thread is wrong

This.

>everything out of context
The quote was a stand-alone aphorism in BG&E. There was no ulterior context, idiot. Have you actually read anything by Nietzsche or are you just defending him because MUH EDGINESS?

Disprove what? That you missunderstand and takes it literally?
Also, a negative argument (disprove) is low hanging fruit
> you cant disprove god hurr durr
see?

i read 2. fuck nietzsche

>mfw I'm mentally handicapped and you literally can't disprove it

Except that I actually gave a rationale for my view and you have failed to address it in any shape or form. Find the premise that's wrong in my argument, prove that it's unsound or gtfo

That's it? This is everything you've got? A stereotype?

>m-muh strawman

>taking it literally

pls be bait, user

What strawman? Stop talking shit and actually post the false premise in my argument. If you can't do that it means my argument is sound. Simple as that.

You need mental fortitude to survive such things

>There are instances, however, where a person doesn't get destroyed/annihilated/killed, but doesn't get stronger as a result, e.g., dementia, Parkinson, paralysis.

All those things do annihilate a person.

No, they do not. You still continue to exist as an human.

I literally can't stop sucking dicks.

nigga this shit has been explained to you so many times that at this point you are either a stubborn troll or a stubborn retard.

IM GOING TO TAKE EVERYTHING AS LITERALLY AS IT TAKES TO MAKE IT SOUND ABSURD STOP FUCKING POINTING OUT IM A RETARD FOR THIS I HATE YOU IDIOTIC TEENAGE NEETSHOE FANBOYS GOD I WISH YOU WOULD I DIE PLEASE GIVE ME AS MANY (YOU)S AS POSSIBLE THOUGH IM LAUGHED AT BY COMPLETELY EVERYONE IN REAL WORLD AND NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE ENGAGE WITH MY AUTISM TO STAVE OFF SUICIDE WHATEVER YOU SAY IS NOT AN ARGUMENT THOUGH AND PROTIP YOU LITERALLY CANNOT PROVE ME WRONG STUPID FAG

No, you only exist as an empty shell. It may look like a person, but on a mental level they're as human as sperm on a petri dish.

This.