What makes a good poem? I know it's a dumb question, but I am ignorant of poetry...

What makes a good poem? I know it's a dumb question, but I am ignorant of poetry. I studied it a bit at college and university, but the why of why is a poem good still escapes me. The best my poetry lecturers have mustered are vague musings about the subject. Are there no concrete standards in poetry? Please help me to understand. I would like to write a good poem one day.

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Poetry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

At least in my mind, good poetry is like good music. There's the pop brand that runs with the mass social paradigms, and then the obscure cutting edge artists that strive to sharpen or redefine a genre.

I feel as if it's similar to poetry. A mental schema influenced by the thoughts of the current or slight past zeitgeist would yeild subpar poetry when compared to poetry that strives to capture a moment/beauty by different strokes.

If anyone can help me understand better, by all means do so.

if she oversteps her boundaries again
the belt is coming out
for those prickly legs
feel like fire ants biting against mine
while my man stick is home
remind me why
you don't have a job

I don't understand your question. What concrete standards are there in music or novels or painting or movies? No artform has an objective way to tell you whether it's good or not.

I like poetry which has rhythm, an interplay of sounds, striking image and metaphor, an honest sentiment.

Wishy-washy bullshit. Sorry, you failed.

4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Poetry

My god that is fucking terrible. Idiocracy becomes more real every day.

Really, just say what you intended to say entirely from the heart. Feel the musicality behind your word choices. Always choose a concrete word over an abstract. If you must express an abstraction, use your best metaphor or simile to make it concrete. Keep the wording and ideological imagery as simple as possible; don't use any words or thoughts that you do not need--if you can cut it out and nothing changes, cut it out. Whatever thought you're expressing should be beautiful without eccentric wording--a good poem can use basic rudimentary English (or w/e native tongue) and resonate intensely. Avoid cliches. If you know a phrase is common place, or simile or metaphor, try to find your own interpretation and words.

Or, if you're writing for yourself, and have no intention of putting your work out there, write however you please. Writing poetry can be a nice little self-therapeutic experience.

Good advice

AYO WE WUZ SUM NIGGER KING
AND WHATEVER TIME MAY BRING
Y'ALL REMEMBER ME AND SING
HAIL NIGGER KING! HAIL NIGGER KING!

Always keep in mind that before the figurative can be known, the literal must be understood.

Don't compare emotions or ideas to other ideas. Do t compare love to pain, hate to anguish, goodness to enlightenment.

The best poets use the physical world as a method to convey their meaning. The ways you describe an object can be used as a device in a poem.

Read The Red Wheelbarrow, for it is a simple but wonderful poem that shows this idea.

just make metaphors out of the weather and chuck the word "azure" around

hahaha

>DONT YOU DARE TALK TO ME OR MY UNCOMFORTABLY SCRATCHY LEGHAIRS AGAIN

Space
You say you want space,
So here it is, yours for the taking.
All of that cold, heavy, oppressive space
Outside of my vagina.

>you go to someone's house, with the vague promise of sex
>it smells like shit and there appears to be a homeless man touching himself with wrappings of tesco's salami
>you express your annoyance
>this is now sexism

Love
You say you want love
So here is is, yours for the dicking
All of that hot, sweat, suffocating love.
Just give me one minute.

Laxative
You say you want laxative
So here it is, yours for the taking
All of that PPppdppfffff, sqqugghsshh, ahhhhh.
Just--just one minute! Just... I'm fine! Daddy's fine! Go back to bed, Susie!

Space
You say you want space