On the right: 65 tomes with spine showing (women authors) vs 31 with spine hidden (male authors)...

On the right: 65 tomes with spine showing (women authors) vs 31 with spine hidden (male authors). Photo shows opposite of what they claim.

Girls rule. Women are good writers. Get over it.

did they just assume their gender?

>go to romance section
>all the spines are showing

lol holy fuck do they not realize how ridiculous that looks?

this is why we need islam

Imshallah brother. Women should not write, and if they do we should burn their works.

desu thoough women actually ARE better writers than men. many studies show this

why though?

idk i just remember hearing about it in some gender studies class

First off, this is a feminist bookstore, so the balance is going to be unusually weighed towards women authors (compared to most bookstores).
Second, whoever chose that careful sample shot, it's meaningless. Look at this larger photo of the entire store: there are obviously more turned books than spines.
Third, the act is a way of highlighting women authors for a month. Whatever percentage of the store's book they are, it's still an interesting move. And hell, why would it bother anyone much? You can go elsewhere, or wait a few weeks to have the effortless browsing resumed.

but, why?

Can women even read?

>go to classics section
>no spines showing

Underrated

Soooo you'll still know which were written by men? I don't get the point really.

Just to save time, can we take it as read that I listed some, you went "nah, those aren't classics, kek", and I called you a wanker? In a bit of a rush today.

Does it have a point? Are we supposed to feel like something is wrong? Maybe there are more male writers than female. The exhibition fails to show why this is bad. There isn't exactly a shortage of women authored books.

What the hell is a "fiction gender gap" anyways? Are they saying male authors get published more because they are male? And how is this silencing them? You will still know which ones were written by men since they only turned those written by men. Seems like it's just more feminist stupidity.

That's subjective.

The stupidity of it isn't because it's feminist, it is because their message, whatever that is supposed to be, is poorly conveyed.

Haves claiming to be have nots annoy me

>many studies show this
*studies done by women

>christmas lights
Every fucking time

>mfw they don't turn evelyn waugh around

different user. there's a couple reasons. women tend to be better writers because they are better at fine motor skills: their writing tends to be more legible, earlier, and they dedicate more time to it. most men wouldn't spend their youth perfecting love heart tittles but women value style.
secondly, they tend to hypercorrect grammar. men care the content carries, while women care it's properly presented.
thirdly, they tend to greater sentence length and complexity. you sometimes see this in male writers with insanity (joyce, proust). locquacious and flowery speech in men is often seen as a defect, and while hemmingway is not the best model of a man, his muscular prose, and the telegraphic style which defines the noir detective genre are seen as models of male prose. females learn it as a matter of course and so often use greater complexity than content demands.
fourthly they learn more social linguistic codes than men. they need to be able to comport themselves in female only spaces, with children, and with men. a housemaid's diary will generally mix more working class slang with upper class vocabulary than a footman's because the footman will opt to forgo working class vocabulary in favour of one register acceptable to his sphere of life. gay women tend to mix more social codes in their use of language than even females, which gives them generally the greatest linguistic dexterity overall.
>tl;dr- nietzsche was right about women who take philosophy being excellent but having something wrong with their sexual organs, goddamn dykes

There are plenty of areas where women are underrepresented.

Contemporary literature is not fucking one of them.

nice

Which way does the Bible face? That spine better be hidden, you feminist shits.

>IMPLYING RUTH IS NOT THE TITS
GTFO

Good post.

Yeah why do you never hear about the lack of women as
>plumbing and hvac technicians
>electronic linemen
>oil rig workers
>industrial divers

Racist and sexist people on the left think that the authors race or sex add or detract literary merit and I don't think I'll ever understand why. I can only imagine shopping for a book and feeling compelled to use my phone to look up a picture of the author to decide whether or not I buy it. Do they just not realize how sexist they are?

>women don't write as many books as men have
>still a fairly large number of authors and works published
>we're being silenced!!!

bullshit

>>oil rig workers
i know a couple female plumbers and sparkies (not saying that's normal) but i know oil rig workers are rare because almost every company will refuse to let any female, no matter how qualified, on a rig over night with twelve guys on a six month posting. they'd have to pay her high class hooker prices per night plus her engineers salary for it to be worth it in hazard pay. every now and then i meet a girl outraged by it, but i haven't met twelve yet qualified to man the first female only rig. once it sinks in that there're problems like "you might get swept overboard and there is nothing humanity can do about that", a lot of the women outraged by the "you might get raped" hazard no longer thought it worth the hazard pay already in your salary, so i don't see the female only rig forthcoming, just because they seem to not want to do the job when they won't get raped. all the female plumbers and electricians i know on the other hand don't mind that shit.

i know a few female rescue divers and cave divers and shit, but most divers are fucking cracked anyway. putting them in with the rest who are probably doing it because it's worth the money makes the other jobs seem more crazy. fucking around with your gf's birth control revolutionised the field, don't pretend people do industrial diving because they're sane.

Women develop fine motor skills as girls when they are encouraged to do activities involving those skills. Men develop bodily motor skills because they are encouraged to take part in activities that involve those skills. Look at the handwriting of men a hundred years ago. It was neat and legible. Men are just as capable of developing fine motor skills as women. A lot of your post sounds like it was pulled out of your bumbum, tbqh.

it doesn´t bother me i just don´t buy in bookstores that are openly sexist

and fuck me why, why does anyone care what the fucking gender of a book is?
i am serious what possible reason can anyone have besides pure retardation?

The point is women are underrepresented in pretty much every blue-collar field of work even though it's possible to make good money in them, but you never hear about their lack of representation in those fields.

women and children used be employed for finer machine work and work in smaller spaces because of their greater fine motor skills.

men do have better hand eye coordiantion which can be trained, but the natural physical barrier of their size and their later development of it makes women naturally better at fine motor skills and for much longer.
spatial reasoning helps with many things, but having larger fingers is not one of them.

in the same period that monks are going blind from writing legibly in large enough script, women are going blind in convents making lace which is far more delicate. women have a natural tendency to doing the things you need smaller fingers for, which is hardly a revolutionary idea. men by and large are not physically capable of the same fine motor skills from the same training as women are at the same age. it was inefficient to hire them for fine skills, when they cost more and couldn't do the job as fast. (which is also in part why deaths of female children were so high in industrial mills)

i agree with that, i'm not saying it's normal to know a couple females in either trade. all the females i know got into it because they needed the money, and while it is blue collar work, they make more than a lot of my middle class friends who would become a barista but complain about female-male pay gaps and their tips.

the thing is though, most blue collar women i know would marry and housewife or part time job if they could get a husband with a trade. if they valued financial independence, they'd get a trade (and some do, because i know them). but, the people who tend to complain about the lack of representation aren't generally from that background. they don't know what a line man does let alone what a fair wage for one would be, and they don't care. they don't know how long an apprenticeship is, or even what one is. women who want to marry one from the same background know those things and they don't complain, but get engaged before he's fully qualified, or drop out to get a trade at 16 like the boys if they want financial stability on their own (hairdressers being overrepresented with females never seems to come up either).

normally the people complaining about these things have no idea the hazards or realities of these things is what i'm saying. it's middle class people bitching they don't have a more prestigious middle class job, even though they could probably make more as a plumber than as an editor for the feminist regional magazine. it's like complaining you don't hear enough flute music these days... it triggers all my bougie senses.

i don't think you really want to draw middle class attention to things that run well without their identity politics all over it. the oil rig sjws who want to be allowed work there when the risk is they might get raped, but don't want to work there when the risk is they might get drowned is kind of a case in point.

why do women think that they presence is a criterion for quality? why do they feel entitled to things because they have a cunt?

should we reduce the number of male authors published to make them feel better? I mean they are obviously not writing enough books, or there would be no need for this, at least in the contemporary section

who gave them idea that this is somehow oppression?

Slippery slope in action. They're fed the idea since birth that they're "oppressed", because at one point they were. Because of this, any perceived discrepancy between the two genders, and any disadvantage affecting women, regardless of the cause, and whether it also affects men, is interpreted as the fault of the "patriarchy", and proof of their own worldview. Any evidence that stands in opposition to this worldview is easily handwaved away as "mansplaining" via the concept of "privilege". It's the exact same thing that's happening with minorities in general. They're oppressed for years and then suddenly liberated, then, realising liberation isn't what they expected and isn't good enough for them, they demand more.

Obviously I'm not saying the original equal rights movements shouldn't have happened, but they clearly catalysed what's going on in liberal thought at the moment.

You can't be sexist against men. Stop trying to play the victim game. There's nothing more pathetic than a white man trying to squeeze into the oppression olympics.

You are the descendant of philosophers, scientists,and conquerors. Act like a true son of Europa not a groveling worm.

How about they start hiding medical products invented by males? How about that?

>studies can determine value judgements

Go back to and off yourself, brainlet.

>better at writing
>user interprets this as better handwriting

infinite jej

you also fail to prove why there are so few great works by female writers (proportionally)

>why would it bother anyone much?

Why would anything bother anyone?

Seriously. Tumblrettes have an obsessive fascination with Christmas lights. It shouldn't, but it makes me so mad.

It's kind of sexist against women though. They believe women need all kinds of handicapping to compete. The best don't though. Even the die hard misogynists here have read at least some Viriginia Woolf and George Eliot. It's just the mediocrities who need the handicapping.

Ruth is for faggots.
Judith is the superior liturgykino

>tfw I actually really like the look of christmas lights but don't want to be associated with them

this

Dam son, I can see why people on Veeky Forums think they're geniuses.

How did you decipher that a line copied from South Park used in its original context ironically is still being used ironically?

Dam, son. They gots the big brains here in Veeky Forums.

>Can't read a full post on a board dedicated to reading.
>Doesn't know much about literature on a board dedicated to it.
>Smartest board on Veeky Forums.

>they paid staff to do this

>Gender gap in writing even though there have been no barriers to becoming a female author since ever.

Maybe men are, I don't know... better authors?

>tfw searches for jezebel now bring up worse vestiges of baal
>tfw i'd settle for searching jezebel bringing up asimov at this point
i like the ladies who stand on ceremony. decapitation in a tent isn't even cronenberg.

I guess no classics today

I wonder if they kept George Elliot facing out...

It's demonstrating that male authors have had the superior voice, and that most readers tend to avoid female authors (which is true, because I do that), and in that regard women go virtually unheard.

I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. It's not much different than that video MTV posted of "new years resolutions for white guys," and people lost their fucking minds and called it racist. There was nothing remotely racist about it, but the response of all those angry white dudes, feeling marginalized, only proved that they can't take criticism any better than whom we accuse for the same thing.

Only MRAs get angry over shit like this.

>George Elliot

Can someone explain this meme to me? Is he tranny or something?

It's not a meme. George Elliot is the pen name of Mary Anne Evans. It was easier to have a book published, and taken seriously, if people thought you were male at that time.

Esther >>>>>>>> Ruth

okay

great, now i can more easily discern which books to avoid (those written by women (they're bad writers and have infantile, shallow, pedestrian thoughts and minds))

I hope she's okay.

No. They just aren't, men write better fiction unfortunately, although there are some outliers like Lydia David, Flannery O'Connor etc.

Message poorly conveyed seems to be synonymous with feminism.

wtf i hate men now

Lydia Davis sucks. O'Connor is p good.

Try Virginia Woolf bro she writes better than you.

Try Mary Caponegro, again brilliant.

Try the like million other women writers.

You just don't read women because you suck apparently.

Bet ya'll couldn't even get through Tender Buttons.

If he's gonna off himself why does it matter what board he's on, also the perceived superiority makes you look like a shitposting brainlet.

She spelled Bruce wrong kek

>this is a feminist bookstore

vomit.jpg

It has nothing to do with racism, it's the double standard that's infuriating. For men who have a sense of fairness, it's hard to understand modern feminism, race-activism, etc. I happen to think that we're all equal and that nobody should get special advantages just because they're brown, or a woman or whatever. Of course poor people need a leg up, but why should a rich black kid get a scholarship and not a poor European-American? By the same token, we shouldn't blame one ethnic group for unfortunate things that happened hundreds of years ago, especially when you consider all the essential technical, social, and artistic advances made by that very same ethnic group.

If it weren't for white, male, doctors most people would not even be alive today. The birthrate explosion in China is attributable to the adoption of Western medicine, because as we all know Chinese "medicine" doesn't really work. So, honesty, I think us white dudes deserve a round of applause :^)

Is male a sex? Yes? Then it is sexist. There is nothing else to it.

Well, if it were actually good we'd probably finish it.

*drops mic*

have you realized that social justice isn't about "equality" or "justice", it's about taking down the people who have traditionally been at the top of the hierarchy in western countries (whites, men, straights, etc) and replacing them?

once you realize that, the double standards and hypocrisy make more sense

>Only MRAs

No, you see MRAs reacting wildly while a massive majority of sane people shake their heads and get on with their day, realizing we live in an anti-intellectual global culture and that voicing dissent would result in a torrent of abuse. Please don't confuse the failure of your moral tyranny and hypocrisy with actual facts.

>Take the concept of privilege. In contemporary sociology, this refers to a set of unearned advantages that certain groups (usually whites and males) possess simply by virtue of possessing a certain identity (e.g. white, male, heterosexual, etc). It is then argued that privilege for one group can only exist where there is also oppression of another group: privilege and oppression entail one another like a hill entails a valley. Accordingly, if privilege is tied to the very possession of a certain identity, then the very existence of that identity (and the group associated therewith) is ipso facto proof of oppression. The end result is that certain groups (again, usually whites and males) impose oppression on other groups (non-whites and females) simply by existing: so long as they exist, the claim of oppression (and its corollaries, bigotry, prejudice, malfeasance, exploitation etc) remains valid. One does not need to be especially bright to grasp the intellectual and political utility of this proposition.

anyone down to open up a hyper-masculine fascist bookstore?

i don't care. i will read what appeals to me. fuck off.

>buhu give woman all sorts of help because they are so incredibly inferior to the amazing perfect übermenschen that are men

you are retarded you can be sexist against men that´s how this word works.

and these things are the definition of seeing females as pathetic and weak

you people are disgusting

When global liberalism finally triumphs over the phallocracy, you will be made to care.

i'll just write my own shit and read that. i win.

I think it's a good act, Terrible for business though. No one wants to slog through that mess just to find what they want

>writer's name is George
>user sez 'it's a lady'

user, please.

It's a feminist bookstore so it's probably all shit anyway.

>hi, welcome to V's Used Bookstore! how can i help you?
>hi, do you happen to have a copy of We by Zamyatin?
>oh, you wouldn't like that! here, we have a copy of handmaiden's tale right here, i definitely think you'd like it
>uhm, no, i'm sorry, but i'd really like We, do you have it?
>oh but i really think you'd prefer the handmaiden's tale!
>ah, okay well, i think i'll look elsewhere, thank you.

the woman behind the counter waits as the door closes behind him
>fucking sexist

t. I pull everything out of my ass

yeah, lets really nail down the fascist-readers portion of the market, im sure well be rolling in dough :')

>You can't be sexist against men
Which is poorer bait? This one, or the "you can't be racist against white people" one?

heck just the male readers portion is a vow of poverty

Look at those dead, soulless eyes. These people are brainwashed.

waah women are being meanies to me. I thought they wanted equality. waah

Did you only read the first sentence of what i wrote? You're a European man. You can take what you want. Do what you want.

There is no equality. The world is yours all you need to do is reach out and take it. Stop letting everyone and their dog walk all over you. Become who you were born to be.

>You're a European man. You can take what you want. Do what you want.
You are delusional.

dfw is male

It's this kind of attitude that has lead European men to the pathetic state they are in today.

The pseudo-religion of equality will not save you from the marginalization of your culture, tradition, and people.

Abandon this crap and seize the world that lies in front of you.

Just like the gender gap:)