A second can be broken up infinitely, yet we experience the passing of time. Why is this?

A second can be broken up infinitely, yet we experience the passing of time. Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1/2_+_1/4_+_1/8_+_1/16_+_⋯
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How come X? Things are how they are, there's no "reason" for them.

More intuitively, we have a model in which this holds: a sum of an infinite amount of numbers can be finite. Take the series 1/2^n which sums to 1.

>1/2^n = 1
Can you break this down for me?

A second can't actually be broken up infinitely though, not in reality.

>planck time, beach

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1/2_+_1/4_+_1/8_+_1/16_+_⋯

idiot

Then numbers aren't real.

What does ^ mean and what does n mean?

it's an example in the context of mathematics: there exists a logical system where a "sum" of infinite things is "finite". it's a heuristic that shows you there's no reason to believe that happening is strange.

How can the sims of infinite .5's be finite?

It's not the sum of infinite .5s, it's the sum of 1/(2^n)

So 1 divided by 2 squared by an integer? I stopped doing maths at 14.

Yeah, pretty much. It's the sum of .5+.25+.125... and so on. Pic related from the wikipedia article they linked you really helps you visualize how the sum of all those numbers is one.

They aren't. You can't find them physically existing anywhere in the universe.

Shit! It's the Fibonacci sequence.

>the sum
>what are limits

A meter can be broken up infinitely, yet we can still walk around. Why is this this?

This is something I would like to know.

you are confusing infinite amount with infinite number. there might be an infinite number of parts, but they will still sum to a finite amount.

once again, wittgenstein is right. philosophy is just clarifying linguistic obfuscation

>philosophy is just clarifying linguistic obfuscation
Wait I thought that was obvious. Was that not obvious to everyone?

idiots

idiot, that's a broad oversimplification of his thesis. it's not obvious, it's very complicated.

Samefag not detected. Nice try imposter.

what? i'm and i'm not

>infinitely

that's where you are wrong, kid.

fuck off, zeno

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The other user replied to my post as if they were answering the question, but I was expecting you to answer it. (If you were going to answer it, I mean.)

so now you're 15?

>time is the lie integration of a generic spacetime-like object, such as the poincare lie algebra

this DOES account for stochastic problems because the global structure of timelike structures can not be determined by local data

>A second can be broken up infinitely
What makes you believe this baseless claim?

Go away, Zenu