Share your literary dreams, ambitions, thoughts, intentions, etc., etc

Share your literary dreams, ambitions, thoughts, intentions, etc., etc.

I want to be pegged by those beautiful women. So, I need to make at least enough money to hire them.

I want to make a baby with those women in the picture

why would you choose literature as a way to make money? if what you want is to be a filthy rich hedonist, you're going the exact wrong way.

I wanted to write a book so terrifying that people would be scared to read it, much more talk about it.

But now, 300k words into drafting, I'm discovering that I'm actually an optimistic guy who likes to make people feel good.

Making babby with women is the gayest thing

>Past and short-term

>Discover I want to write.
Check.
>Discover what I want to write about.
Check.
>Write it.
Check.
>Publish it.
Not yet, working on it.
>Self-publish it.
Check.
>Get some sales
Check.
>Get a review.
Check.
>Get multiple reviews.
Not yet, give it time.
>Write an historical fiction novel that is well researched and includes a lot of real history
Not yet, but it will happen.

>Long-term

-Get a series started; 2+ books with the same storyline. Should take less than a year

-Write a relatively simple book that covers the advancement of Military firearms; not too long, don't go too heavy on the pictures. Hopefully can fit in someone's back pocket for reading on the go. I don't know how long it will take, might not decide to actually work on it for another decade or two, no clue.

-Make enough money from my books that I can do it full-time, even if it's only what I would make by having a full-time minimum-wage job. I really have no way of gauging when or even if I will manage this one, but I hope to succeed in this within 5-10 years at most. I'll keep writing, keep self-publishing, will eventually get properly published, and will continue to try to improve my writing, to continue writing things that I find interesting, and so etch out a living with a job that won't make me miserable in participating in. A happy and simple life, that is all I want.

>Dreams
(as in, almost impossible shit that probably would never happen but I would love if it did.)

-One of my books gets turned into a movie or a series of TV movies like what happened with the Sharpe and Hornblower series.

-Fuck a fan (Hey, I got laid for simply being a knowledgeable gun owner, why not someday for being an author? I may or may not already be making progress in this regard. It's less of a dream and more something on my bucket list)

-Do a book signing with people who have read my stuff, enjoy my work, and will be genuinely pleased to have met me, gotten my autograph, and got to shake my hand and/or got to have a picture with me. Such respect and recognition, it would make me glad to still be alive and profoundly proud to be bringing some joy to other people's lives.

Well, I think that pretty much does it off the top of my head. I don't seek riches even though some of these goals/dreams might result in me getting quite wealthy, but I know how it feels to read a book and to get a sense of enjoyment from it, even in some cases to feel that my life has improved because of having read it. I want to give that kind of enjoyment to others while also getting myself a profession I will actually like. I think that's a genuine way that people can find happiness; if they can get a job that doesn't make them absolutely miserable. I want a job like that, and I don't think it's selfish to want such.

It's a joke my man. Realistically I can hope to make enough money to buy extra snack food.

Basically I want to become a popular young adult fiction writer and make a decent living.

I want my writings to reverberate through history, not because of their content, but because of who wrote them.

I want to be a well known sff writer but one who's works rise above a simple childish perception of the genres. I don't wanna re-make the wheel or anything but make decently fleshed out worlds and settings with characters with personalities you could understand.
The stories themselves would ideally be kind of like Heinlein's works, in that they examine different types of worlds and societies, not because I personally support them but to broaden someone's view of the world or what the world could be, good or bad.

I probably won't ever accomplish this, but it's nice to dream

Holy shit after actually reading this thread I realise all of you lack ambition.
Especially you. What the fuck are you even doing? What are you even thinking of doing? Your "dreams" are middling as shit. Like I'm not telling you to actually expect to reverberate through history but what is your life like that you don't AIM for immortality?

Also fucking a fan is a really, really bad idea. Book signing sounds comfy though...

That's going to be tricky. You'll have to live a seriously epic life if you want your books to be read because of who wrote them instead of what's in the books themselves.

Yeah, I know. Be like an archer &c.

Gene Simmons fucked literally THOUSANDS of fans if I remember correctly, around 4000 was it? He seemed to come out of it alright, and even married a hot Newfie chick in the end! He's got good taste in women, but then again he should. As for my dreams, I consider myself a pretty simple guy, and though it's probably not a humble thing to claim to be humble or modest, I make the claim none the less.

The lifestyle I dream of is probably not something that most fellow Millennials would like. I want to live in a nice cabin out in the woods, far enough away along a dirt road wide enough for a truck that I can't hear reasonable traffic going by on the highway. Within driving distance of a city, but my goal would be to be as non-reliant on said city as possible.

I want to hunt, I want to fish in a small river/stream that goes through my property, I want to be able to collect water from said stream to use for drinking/cooking, and even try using it for bathing. Get some cold water, put it in the tub. Boil some water, pour that into the cold water. Find a nice middle-ground, clean myself, hopefully with soap that I made myself using lye rendered from ashes along with tallow (or whatever is required) from animal fat. All natural. I want to grow a vegetable garden, a big one, and bottle lots of the vegetables I get from it. Solar panels on the roof primarily for just lighting, and of course my laptop so I can still write and send manuscripts digitally online when ready to publish.

I don't want to be immortal, I'm not bothered by the thought of being forgotten to time. I want to learn to live the way our ancestors did, off the land, though inevitably I'd miss the coziness of modern life so it would likely only be temporary. I do want to survive a Winter someday though without electric heat, without electric lighting (candles from tallow will be used), without refrigeration (preserve food in Mason jars, make sauerkraut to prevent scurvy), aaaaand... yeah I think that sounds about right. A full Winter with electricity only being used to keep my laptop running. Now THAT would be a challenge, one that I hope to accomplish some day. I'd stay warm with a wood stove, burning wood that I cut down myself. Believe me when I say this; heat from a fire is infinitely cozier and more pleasant than electric heat. Though I grew up with heat from a wood stove so perhaps my opinion is biased.

>I want to be well known

you can stop right there

Becoming the official state Bard/Meistersinger laureate of the oncoming fashy white Ethnostate of North America.

>The lifestyle I dream of is probably not something that most fellow Millennials would like.
>I want to live in a nice cabin out in the woods, far enough away along a dirt road wide enough for a truck that I can't hear reasonable traffic going by on the highway
user that's the stereotypical millennial dream. Personally I'd rather kill myself, but then, I'm not a millennial.

I'd rather kill myself than not be immortal, which I appreciate is slightly stupid. I don't know -- can't you feel it? Like a revulsion towards the idea of being...faceless. A kind of urging away. Firstly of being submerged in the tides of humanity, like any normal person. Secondly of being forgotten in history, like many good men have been. Thirdly of simply being yet another "great man", like Alexander or Stalin. And you cannot go further. So I have in reality settled with living a convicted life of love. But I'll still be driving towards immortality because I cannot do otherwise.

I know what heat from a fire is, user. But myself, I'd rather be heated by the sun. I want to live somewhere hot -- everywhere hot. But that's getting into the fine details of the dream, which nobody wants to hear.

Does sound a bit vain, more so wish my works were famous then

Revulsion towards being faceless? Why do you think I want to live in a cabin out in the woods? Just be myself with nobody else around, and I honestly would much prefer being able to go into any given city and NOT be recognized by people unless I've already met them. I like to be invisible, to be left to my own devices, to do my own thing. I like to go to pubs to get drunk, and to see if I can strike up a conversation with some stranger whom I don't know, and they don't know me. Just two dudes drinking, or maybe I end up bumping into a chick and manage to take her home for a night.

Being a 'great man', someone like Alexander or Stalin or Frederick, it's not for me. If I somehow become a great writer, like the next Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde, or whatever, then awesome. That'd be cool, especially if it happens AFTER my death rather then before it so I can maintain my 'anonymity' as it were, in public. To be respected and revered for centuries and centuries, yeah, sounds pretty damn awesome, but I'm ok if that doesn't happen. In fact I'd be content if occasionally someone finds one of my old books, no longer in print, at a garage sale or at a used book store or a library, gives it a try, and goes "huh, this guy is a cool author, I wonder what else they wrote" only to go online and find out I've been dead for years, and then they'd have a brief moment of "oh that's too bad, but I'll check out his other stuff anyways." Then me and that one individual, perhaps the only person in that person's entire city who is bothering to read my work, will have a brief connection where they adventure into situations and worlds that I've created from my own mind. Maybe they never read my stuff again, maybe they never tell anyone about it, but there was that time when they read my stuff and found honest enjoyment.

That sounds perfectly fine to me, almost romantic. Just one person looking up an old, dead, forgotten writer, managing to gather more of his work, and absolutely loving it, though potentially also sad that they might not have many, if any, people to talk to about my stuff.

Can I read your manuscript? People on this board are always talking about these lengthy books they've written but no one will ever share them.

Right, give us your manuscript so we can publish it instead. Sounds like a grand idea.

It seems unlikely that someone would go through the entire publishing process with a manuscript they stole from a Veeky Forums user, but I see your point. Fair enough.

With self-publishing it's easy as fuck. It truly is. In like 3 months I wrote and self-published 2 books. They weren't too badly written but honestly they could have been full of grammatical errors with a nonsense story, illogical decisions, no proper ending, and so on and so forth. It doesn't matter, it can still get self-published. Even if it's only 8 pages long. Pretty crazy.

I don't know anything about self-publishing. Do people read the stuff you put out?

Having sex with other men is not gay

Yes and Having sex with other men is not gay

I self-published two novels, and yes people have bought them, though admittedly not many. Also the second one is only around 40,000 words or so so might actually qualify as a novella.

Are you saying that you want your books to be famous even if they are not good just because you wrote them?

Definitely sounds that way...

Gay means happy, but gay also means homosexual. What if you are having sex with a man, but you are unhappy? Gay rape is no longer homesex for the one being raped.

I want to write a semi-autobiographical 800+ page coming of age novel that receives immense success and give interviews in which I will appear a little awkward but hyper intelligent.

I want to write five novels that are no shorter than 500 pages under a pseudonym while living in the woods.

Got me...