shelfish allergy but loves oyster sauce

> shelfish allergy but loves oyster sauce
> vegetartian but wants chicken
> gluten allergy but only to gluten in bread form

People of the food industry, what are your favourite fake allergies?

Oh fuck gluten free. Had a guest yesterday ask if Ceasar Salad dressing contains any gluten.

I'm lactose intolerant, have been since I was a kid. I simply order things with no cheese or no milk. It's almost a reflex. I don't do shit like order a chicken alfredo with no dairy.

People that do shit like that should be shot.

I heard stories about dudes who were out on the first date who claimed to have an onion allergy so they don't lessen their chances to get to second base.

>I can't eat gluten XD
>Orders a beer

>I have diabeetus
>Orders chocolate cake

>Im lactose intolerant
>Orders a frappucino

I'm with you about the fake allergy hate, but you know that most "oyster sauce" doesn't contain shellfish, right?

You can eat cake if you have diabetes, retard

Sure. But it probably isn't a very healthy choice to be making.

I have a lactose intolerant friend who will sometimes slam a milkshake etc. It makes them quite bloated/farty but is otherwise okay.

Sometimes someone with an intolerance (rather than an allergy) might decide to splash out and deal with the repercussions.
I'll eat something ridiculously spicy even though there's always the chance it'll give me the shits the next morning.

Citation needed.

Even the cheapest, nastiest supermarket oyster sauce in my area has 18% oyster extract, most are around 24%, some as high as 35%.

>What is type 1 diabetes

As for fake allergies, the answer is simple.

"Sir/Madame, I'm not at liberty to serve you this. Health and safety of our customers comes first, and this dish contains gluten, which you are allergic to. Not only would I ever endanger your health, the restaurant would be at risk of legal action on your behalf should you suffer adverse effects. "

You need a boss who understands this though. Possibly with a bunch of pre-printed waivers to sign, disclaiming all legal responsibility. Having this kind of legal-looking paper to sign before you can get your bread basket makes people rethink their strategy.

But what is their strategy?
Are they really so narcicistic they need to fake an illness in an restaurant?

it easily could you mong.

Had some table last week place an order that had 'allergies' to cooked carrots specifically.

Best ones are when you get combinations, like no dairy + no gluten.

>Are they really so narcicistic they need to fake an illness

Yes absolutely

vegetarians that eat chicken and fish, why? one guy told me because he can kill a chicken and a fish, but that logic makes no sense to me.

i always just say, "yes," because at least then they won't get anything and leave

First, he's not a vegetarian. Second, eating smaller animals is better for the environment. He chose to make the cutoff at chicken-size.

fish are quite a bit bigger than a chicken. pescatarian whatever, that ignores a whole lot of other small animals that are available and certainly isnt better for the chickens overall. and then still supporting the dairy industry on the guise of environmental impact or cruelty is pure hypocrisy

Everyone's a hypocrite. Everyone has to eat. Some people are more hypocritical about certain issues than others.

Health food blogs teaching soccer moms that gluten is the antichrist

I work at Jimmy John's and I constantly hear two shity claims

Someone will get their sandwich and a minute later come back and complain about tomatoes on it. They didn't bother to inform us of their "allergy" when they ordered but they need their sandwich to be tomato free. I know for a fact 90% of those fuckers are just picky eaters but they lie to make their case seem urgent. The other case is lactose intolerant people complaining that their sandwich has mayo on it. Why the fuck do so many people think there's milk in mayo!?!

I had a family once come in and say they don't eat gluten, dairy, or soy. We're a hibachi place so all our sauces have soy sauce which has gluten too. I let them know they can't have soup, salad dressing, or any dipping sauces. They said, well, we'll eat the dipping sauce anyway. Gave all their children salad without dressing and chicken without sauce but ate it themselves. Sad.

which doesnt address anything im saying

some mayos include cream

Fatty.

I'm just saying that's probably what he was thinking. "I'm not being perfect about saving the environment but at least I'm not eating beef and endangered animals."

Whereas cake is healthy for everyone else, right stupid?

They might just have a preference, and they don't trust that it will be taken seriously unless they claim it's an allergy

possibly, i havent bothered to debate it because when someones reasoning is built on weak foundations knocking them down does noone well. i mean i love debating and being called out on things that ive got wrong, but barely anyone else does

>Pescatarian

Nigga that guy is heavy metal

i havent a clue what you mean but he likes heavy metal music i think. also turns out pescatarian is just fish. chicken and fish is "pesco pollo"

Something about eating a lot of fish and thus being subjected to an unhealthy amount of heavy metals, i assume?

that's pretty straightforward

Just take lactase pills you stupaid fuck

What? No. How would it even?

you can be allergic to shellfish and still eat oysters. I can eat clam/oyster/mussels and be fine but crab/shrimp/lobsters makes me stop breathing

processed salad dressing can have gluten as a thickening agent, besides the obvious croutons

thats the point, oysters clam and mussels arent shellfish

except they are, just google shellfish and both things show up

bivalves and crustaceans are only related at the kingdom level. They're less related related than a fucking cat and a giraffe.

What are you some kind of stupaid moran?

So you don't know much about diabetes

that's nice but we aren't talking about biological definitions. In English they are both still referred to as "shellfish"

>orders chicken alfredo, no dairy
>alfredo, no dairy
So, just chicken with plain fettuccine with no sauce?

We are talking about biology because that's what allergies are based on, not language.

This, though I didn't develop mines until I was a teenager.

No they aren't. Shellfish are shellfish. Clams oyester and mussels are "seafood".

Among all the people claiming they cant eat gluten, most wouldnt have any health issues eating it. Because "I cant eat gluten" became a stupid fucking trend.

Yes, they are. When called on it, first they'll say, "oh, I have this one dish all the time. It's okay," or they'll just straight up smirk and say, "well, I'm not completely allergic, it's just easier to say that!"

Fucking cunts. These narcissistic snowflakes are why people with legit Crohn's have a hard time.

Chumps. Everbody knows Jimmy John's has maybe eight sandwiches with just meat + cheese, and then another eight of the same sandwiches with meat + cheese + lettuce + tomato.

>BQScallopSashimi
>ALLERGY SHELLFISH

Am I misreading something here? Do you just serve them an empty plate?

My restaurant has a regular who is allergic to anything that has been microwaved.

what the fuck are you talking about. We are talking about ordering food at a restaurant that you might be allergic too. If you go to a restaurant and say you are allergic to shellfish, you could be referring to a wide variety of food, some of which you could be allergic too, some of which you might not be. Why are you acting intentionally dense about this?

This image legitimately makes me angry

If you say you're allergic to shellfish yet order "BQScallopSashimi," it logically follows that you're probably not allergic to bivalves but rather crustaceans.

I'm allergic to crab, shrimp, and lobster but I can eat mollusks no problem. Is that not normal?

It is because they're not even remotely related biologically. Less so than a bird and a human.

If I eat raw tomatos it makes the inside of my mouth itch, when i go to a restaurant i just pick them off or order something without them. These whiny cunts annoy the shit out of me

what causes seafood (specially shellfish) allergy and allergy in genetal

A bunch of different shit. Mostly different proteins

>some mayos include cream
i've never seen one that did

Your immune system thinking something is bad and trying to get rid of it/stop it from spreading through your body. It can be other things too, like there's a tick that spreads a disease that makes you allergic to red meat.

Not sure about shellfish though, I was allergic to shellfish for a year or two when I was about 12. Someone said it's because there's too much iodine in the shellfish sometimes but I'm not sure if that's true.

how interesting, so the tixk introduces a carbohydrate that isn't normally found in primates, but how does that affect the body into thinking all red meat is now a bad thing? is it a permanent allergy once introduced?

Traditional oyster sauce has oysters in it.

There is a vegetarian oyster sauce that uses mushrooms though, and it shouldn't be hard to find.

I work at an "Italian" place that does custom pasta orders, one of the options being gluten-free spaghetti

Literally 90% of the gluten-free pasta orders have alfredo on the ticket, but have not once had someone have a reaction to it

Kill me, Pete

alfredo has gluten?

might be roux-based, or they add just a tiny bit of flour to thicken it. some people who are legitimately allergic to gluten can have a small amount of it before they start having a reaction though.

"Does your minestrone soup have gluten in it? I have bad reactions to gluten"

"No Ma'am, infact due to how shit are restaurant is at times, instead of using these two fantastic new soup makers, our soup actually comes in a bag so we just have to microwave it. To answer your question, I don't think it does but I'm not too sure so it's upto you?"

"I'll have the minestrone soup"

Literally nothing happened, she complimented us and said it was the best soup she ever had.

Piece of fucking hipster trash shit didn't even know we just microwaved a bag.

mayonnaise never ever includes cream you fuckin dipshit

i roll pizza dough at a pizza shop. people ask for gluten free bases all the time (which are NOT made from dough, they're made from this shitty rice flour/potato flour blend which you mix with water until it has the consistency of cream and pour onto a pizza tray)

I never wash my hands, and constantly get flour on the gluten free pizza trays.

Because nobody who is actually a coeliac would be stupid enough to order from a pizza shop.

I'm not in the food industry, but my dumbass pothead roommate is "Allergic to garlic" and yet eats Chinese and Italian food all the time. He says it causes swelling, but I've never seen it.

i wish thay were the case for me. now i know to check when eating out.

except it does. and no im not talking about milk mayo

>Work at restaurant with a craft beer bar
>Woman asks if they have "gluten free beer"
>kindly direct her to a cider
>nah, she wants beer

A rather large number of Basketball Americans claim that they're allergic to salt.

Except it doesn't. Basic Mayo contains only egg yolk, oil and one acidic component (lemon, vinegar). Even mustard is only optional. Cream and milk have no place in it.

Are you even European???

except i clearly stated sometimes. grats on knowing a basic mayo recipe.

I work at a pizza shop and goddamn you ever have someone come into a pizza shop looking for "carb-free" options (that isn't a salad)?

make up some different base them. some keto option idk

if someone asked me that i'd ask them if they were stupid

>vegetartian but wants chicken
I come up against this every time I want to order a pizza
>order vegetarian pizza, add chicken
>"uh, are you sure about that?"
>"yes, I like the freshness of the vege pizza and the addition of chicken makes for a delicious pizza"
>"riiiiiiiiight"

they could have wings as long as they arent breaded

>"yes, I like the freshness of the vege pizza and the addition of chicken makes for a delicious pizza"
What part of this implies that the customer is a vegetarian?
Am I a vegetarian for enjoying vegetables?

evidently you have to be because it happened every single time

Everstime a customer asks me if theres gluten in it, I say yes. everytime until we run out of items and they get mad at me for fucking with them and leaves.
My boss has my back, he hates these people with a vengeance. He once told a vegan lady if she wants to eat vegan and be nice to animals she could graze the fields with his cows. that was funny.

I suggest just looking up the Lone Star tick wiki if you want better answers than what Veeky Forums can give you

>i'll like to have a gluten free bread
>proceed to give her gluten enriched bread

she likes it. i dont think she could die from it though.

I feel pretty bad for people who genuinely have celiac disease but don't get taken seriously because of idiots running around with fake gluten sensitivity.

Though I guess there are more gluten free options on store shelves for them since that dumb trend started at least.

coeliac disease is a real thing and that is where the gluten free diet comes from, unfortunately normies meme it, sounds like you have a memer

Threads like this make me worry. My sister has celiacs and is allergic to milk (the proteins not lactose intolerant). When she gets sick at a restaurant and we spend the next week in the hospital, I wonder how often it's due to error or intention. Doesn't help that she is a white blonde girl so it looks like she is totally into a fad diet or something.

maybe say to the order taker that she has celiacs and isn't memeing?

>Be me
>Eating the best sauteed beef of my life
>Get sent to hospital an hour later because I didn't know it had oyster sauce in it

10/10 would go to hospital again for.

Tbf, plenty of diabetics got that way from eating too much cake and sweets. It's hard to kick the habit.

I'm the other way around and I didn't know that.

Will sea urchin send me to the hospital?

stop saying memeing. it wont help, if shes in a place with a lot of gluten they rarely care

Shellfish allergyfag here.

Allow me to enlighten you:
>I can eat a few steamed clams, an entire bowl of clam chowder, a couple bites of lobster claw, seared rare scallops no problem
>if in in a room where lobsters or crabs are being boiled or steamed I get hives
>if I eat crab or lobster entrails I go into anaphylactic shock. This has happened only 3 times in 20 years
>ultra processed shellfish extract is not normally a problem for me
>I had an MRI and I almost died from the injectable contrast agent made from shellfish extract

My allergist thinks shellfish allergies are an intolerance to iodine concentrations. Who knows. But the bottom line is 4 times it almost killed me and the rest of the time it's not a problem at all. Am I full of shit? Who knows. But I avoid shellfish the same way I avoid swimming with sharks. It's unlikely the shark will bite, but there's always the chance...

are you going to go back and take an epipen with you?

The universe is asking you to die already

>I had an MRI and I almost died from the injectable contrast agent made from shellfish extract
this here cured my brother of his shellfish allergy, he loves prawns and crab now

Hmm haven't tried crab since that MRI...

>>order vegetarian pizza, add chicken

I do this sometimes. Only rarely do I get strange looks. It's like people think that all pizzas must have meat, and 'vegetarian' means 'for non meat-eaters only' instead of 'vegetable pizza.'

I order it because it's tasty. I'm not a damn vegetarian, I just want some meat and veggies on my pizza.