Favorite Gin

Extra junipery, London dry? I usually go for Boodles. On the dry side but still has some fantastic florals.

Other urls found in this thread:

bevmo.com/recipes/recipe-holiday-party-punch?pp=0#_a5y_p=5826005
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's pretty pedestrian but Hendrick's can be really nice. Easy way to make something as mundane as a gin + tonic a really amazing drink.

If you can get your hands on Boodles try this for your next martini.
2oz gin, 1 bar spoon or 1/8th oz Dolin dry vermouth, 1 drop orange bitters. Stir, and garnish with a lemon twist.

This or Bombay sapphire
No need to get too extravagant for g&ts

Bombay, bought 20 bottles for 20 euros each last time I went to Germany

I've also heard great things about Sipsmith. Their gins range from ~$50 for a London Dry to ~$90 for a VJOP (Very Junipery Over Proof).

On the subject of Boodles; has anyone tried the Mullbery gin? Can't seem to get my hands on one without doing a special order.

my go to g+t recipe: 2 oz gin, 1/8th oz lime juice, 2 oz Q Tonic. If I'm using Hendrick's then I'll garnish with a cucumber slice, if not then no garnish.

If you can find Q you really need to try it! It's ok to go over the top for "less extravagant" drinks!

I've never had Boodles but heard a lot of good things.

I like more junipery.

once again japan is showing the west how things should be done. as with whiskey nip yuzu gin is now the best.

my parents were Bombay Sapphire people, i buy Beefeater occasionally, but usually my cabinet is stocked with pic related
im not terribly well-versed in gin as i was a beer person for the longest time, only recently switching to more liquor and wine due to calories

Agreed. Cucumber is delicious.

Boodles is nice, but my go-to gins are Tanqeray and Broker's. A clean one and a full flavoured one.

>never drink gin in my life
>visit my gf's grandfather who is an older black man
>introduces me to this
It's pretty much the finer thing in life

i'm a dirty peasant with no taste but i like how smooth this is.

Tanqueray No 10 is my favourite medium price gin at the moment. Real super.

Hayman's Old Tom Gin or Bombay Sapphire.

I really want to try a new gin, old Tom or sloe?

nice one.

regular haymans is also nice. regular bombay as well desu.

old tom. get a taste of the old world lad

Tastes like forest in the best possible way.

ok but what Tonic water should I buy

Pic related when I splurge for something local, New Amsterdam is my go-to though

I buy Schweppes but I'm no authority on tonic water.

why is vodka with certain fruits _ vodka, but vodka with elderberry gin?

>he doesn't make his own tonic water

God tier.

Complexity of the botanicals/flavoring. Gin has a lot more complexity in its ingredients and flavor profile. _ vodka is usually a single flavor note. Aside from that though they are very similar.

Grain alcohol with flavour added is flavoured vodka.

Grain alcohol with botanicals added and then distilled again is gin.

Yeah, it's really underpriced at 10 euros a bottle. Can recommend it. Nothing special of course, but a decent gin for sure.

Hendrick's is almost $40 a bottle at the state liquor store here, seems pretty extravagant to me. That's pricey for gin.

Q makes the best mixers hands down, their ginger beer even works great as a standalone soda.

This is made locally so I can usually find it sorta cheap.

$40 is a good price for good alcohol. It's not cheap but at least you know that when you buy it.

This is my go-to. I used to drink fancy ginever from a local distillery, but I moved and haven't really found anything as good for as cheap.

>$40 is a good price for good alcohol

It has to have some extremely delicious unique flavours to warrant such a price

Yea most I'll spend on a bottle is ~$40 tops. Hendricks is good but I struggle to justify buying it since it has gone up.

St George is pretty good too. I usually settle for whatever I can get my hands on though as all my friends hate gin.

>organic Gin
-_-

op here. old tom was what I was taught gin drinks with. tbt

I have an unopened bottle of this sitting under the sink. Had it before? Bad enough for solo-boozing, or to be kept to share with company?

Hangar One rye gin. Or their herbivore is decent. The rye gin is almoooost whiskey esque but has all those light notes which keep it summery. The herbivore is herbs and herbs and herbs and pretty damn decent. Can't seem to find it outside of Cali tho.

Don't let that turn you off, it's actually a pretty versatile gin.

Fuck yeah hendricks. Muddle a cucumber slice and make a g&t and it's magical.

I don't drink gin that much anymore because it makes me fucking cry uncontrollably for hours on end once I've had like a litre of the stuff... but fuck me Tanqueray is a GOOD FUCKING GIN.

Nothing beats this

Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire are pretty bland. Plymouth is good for martinis but not good for gin & tonic. Gordon's gives you a massive hedache in the morning.

I'm sticking to Beefeater with Schweppes tonic water, plenty of ice and a slice of lemon.

Should I enjoy Gin in the same way I enjoy whisky neat?
Or is it like vodka or neutral spirit in that it has no distinguishable flavour of it's own?

Have you never tasted gin?

no, mix it with indian tonic

Any tips on what to do with their stale gin? I have a fifth of Hendrick's in the fridge and it's been there for like a month. I need uses for it

Sheeeit, $20 is the most I ever go and even then I feel bad when I drink half the bottle in a night. What are you getting for that much? Shits all going down the hatch and I won't tell the difference anyways.

this stuff is cheap as fuck and actually pretty decent. ~$12 and drinks like something in the $20 range.

mix it with beer

Same.
Bombay is shit. Had it once, all I tasted was burn. No juniper berries, no other flavor. Tasted like cheap vodka.

I like Gordon's a lot because poorfag. Had Hendricks as a gift, still have the bottle because I drink it so slow.

Have any of you lads tried your hand at making your own?

Thinking of giving it a go.

Better just chug it all before it goes completely bad, what was the expiration date?

>liquor
>stale

???

don't put your liquor in the fridge

bevmo.com/recipes/recipe-holiday-party-punch?pp=0#_a5y_p=5826005

Sub the vodka for gin

I just buy the cheapest shit, and ask the bartender to put a shot of black in it.

t. Professional drinker

Most bottles I buy are 750ml. Lasts me a while, I only have 2-3 drinks when I do drink.

Post the worst gin you've tried. I'll start.

Are Americans going to ruin Gin like they ruined beer?

probably, americans feel like they have to be best at everything and bring a toxic elitism to everything

>americans feel like they have to be best at everything.

That's because we are.

Same

We have lots of bad beer but also plenty of good stuff too, and when I've looked at the import section of some alcohol stores it seems Europe is the same way.

I fucking love this gin

You killed it with the hops meme though. I can see Americans taking gin and thinking MOAR BOTANICALS and breaking it entirely.

Yeah a lot of people turned it into a competition of who can make/drink beer with the most hops that's the most bitter, but there are still some good beers in that style. I think most people grow out of that anyway after the novelty factor wears off.

Yea it surprised me. I only tried it because it was the last bottle from their sampler pack. Thought it would be disgusting but boy was I wrong.

Different alcohols have different price points; a good gin does not command the same price as say, a quality single malt, a cognac, a bordeaux, etc. For most spirits $40-$50 is splurge territory.

It has a flavor even though it starts off as a neutral grain spirit because it's distilled again with the botanicals.

For me it's Broker's the best $20 gin. Seriously though the flavor is good, it makes amazing martinis. I would never be able to tell you about high end gin.

Broker's is some of the best price/quality ratio liquors out there.

Try it as a Gibson sometime, also works very well.

Today I learned that Trader Joe's sells knock offs of some famous gins at a nontrivial discount. It's good enough for me to make it a regular -- they sell a 750 mL London dry for $7.

They're going to ruin it like I ruined your mom's pussy last night.

>toxic elitism

We'll give you a trigger warning first. Faggot.

Love that pine and foresty taste to it, reminds back home in CA in the mountains or north of sf

Fuckin Seagrams, soda water, lime and lemon. No ice.

>Living in a state where grocery stores can't sell liquor

Their selection is typically shit in everything but wine anyways.
Then again all my liquor stores carry nothing but beer and smug douche beer

spotted the californian

Gin and soda?
What the fuck is wrong with you my dude

great flavour good with fevertree tonic

I don't understand gin and tonic. It's so fucking bitter. I'd like to like it but it just feels undrinkable to me.

Monkey 47 neat.

Holy shit I literally just made my first g&t ever and decided to check out Veeky Forums to see if people talk about it and I instantly find the gin I'm using
Used some bog standard Schweppes, about 3:1 ratio and this shit is so good

Pic related with fever tree tonic is fucking amazing. Failing that, Tanquary or Gordons with Schweppes does the trick nicely.

Try a Tom Collins instead. That shit is delicious.

This, I've polished two bottles off in the past year

AZ actually, but my Cali relatives turned me on to the brand.