Virgil exhibits the embodiment of virtue. He throughout his life maintained a "chaste piety"...

>Virgil exhibits the embodiment of virtue. He throughout his life maintained a "chaste piety". Virgil is not a people person; he is sort of Jungian introvert. He found little pleasure in desires of the flesh. To Virgil, 'trahit sua quemque voluptas' (each is led by his liking). Virgil opted to find pleasure in pastoral life. "Moral character, says Virgil, grows on the farm; all the old virtues that made Rome great were planted and nourished there; and hardly any process of seed sowing, protection, cultivation, weeding, and harvesting but has its counterpart in the development of the soul"

>Ovid maintained a very different personality type than Virgil. He laughed at the Aeneid. Ovid's carefree attitude and extrovert personality became counter-intuitive to Augustan political and moral reforms. Ovid's prose focused not on duty, piety, or pietas, it focused on the fulfillment of personal pleasure. Which in Ovid's eyes were love, sex, and the art of perpetual courtship. Ovid is a satirist who loved promiscuity and conquering challenges. Ovid proclaimed that Venus appointed him "tutor of tender love"

Which one is /ourguy/? Whose works are better?

ovid, virgil respectively

Shakespeare loved Ovid more, so Ovid for me.

I love the Georgics more than the Aeneid (to me it is far better), but I like the style of Ovid more: it is more bold, more colorfull, more exagerated, more metaphorical.

Virgil easily

Ovid was a faggot degenerate who cried #notmyemperor and got btfo

Virgil was a pious nationalist who brought glory to Rome.

They are both remembered for their respective epics but their other works show their true worth, assuming Aeneid and Metamorphoses are equal.

>Ovid's prose

Huh?

>Ovid only wrote poetry and nothing else

>Ovid was a faggot degenerate who cried #notmyemperor and got btfo

When did he do that? Give me one textual example.

I'll give you an example of how he admired and praised the Imperial family. Lines 177-212 of Book I of Ars Amatoria, which Ovid himself indicates was a part of his banishment, clearly praise both Augustus and his (at the time) heir Gaius:

Lines 177-178:
Ecce, parat Caesar domito quod defuit orbi
Addere: nunc, oriens ultime, noster eris.

Behold! Caesar prepares to add what is lacked in the conquered world: now you, the farthest orient, will be ours.

That sounds pretty much like how to described Virgil "pious nationalist who brought glory to Rome". Now, can you give me 1 actual example of him crying "notmyemporer"?

Ovid was pretty funny.

>Now, can you give me 1 actual example of him crying "notmyemporer"
Ibis is pretty much Butthurt: The Poem

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Everything he wrote was metered, mostly either in dactylic hexameter or elegaic couplets. Instead of posting an "lolfunneh" picture, why don't you give me 1 example, just 1 example of a surviving piece of writing by Ovid that is not metered.

As a beginner latinist, Virgil is way more comprehensive and easier to enjoy. Ovid's verse is complete clusterfuckery.

Yes, I understand that, but that was because of his exile. He was butthurt, but it was for a personal reason. He never, (as far as what survives) while writing in Rome said anything disparaging about the Empire or Augustus. Even Ibis isn't as excessively critical of Augustus as, say, most of the historians of late antiquity.

Like CĂ©line level or not that bad?

Virgil was friends with Dante. Ovid BTFO.

muh sides

Virgil wrote propaganda.

>he never wrote down and published his support of undermining the emperor

interesting

Neither
Juvenal is the /ourguy/

Other people were apt to criticize the Empire openly e.g. Cicero & Cato the Younger. I really just don't think that Ovid was that interested in politics at all, good or bad. I resent this attitude that puts out that only poetry that has a nationalistic and political activist inclination are worth reading.

I don't even get the "faggot degenerate" part. Degenerate? Because of Ars Amatoria? Have you ever heard of something called 'tone'? If you read the Ars Amatoria in Latin you'll realize he's being crafty and cynical, you can't just take the text at face value (especially an English translation).

>Ovid was a faggot degenerate who cried #notmyemperor and got btfo
>Virgil was a pious nationalist who brought glory to Rome.

lel, retard

I guess Augustus just didn't like his prose