What does Veeky Forums think of Bukowski?

Is his stuff worth any attention or does he mainly appeal a certain brand of slightly bitter young men who romanticize poverty, alcoholism, and promiscuity as part of some male fantasy?

havent read him myself, but my gf isnt a fan for sure

Both. His work is pretty good sometimes, but it's overvalued by these types of males. He's not a hero. He's not even an anti-hero. He's a peice of shit. It is interesting to look at the interior life of a degenerate like himself. The actual quality of his writing can be debated, but he definitely receives far too much praise from certain groups of people. I personally like Factotum and Ham on Rye.

he really isn't all that bad but he has little to say. read ham on rye and cats and move on

i read you get so alone. it was sloppy and pretty depressing but i felt like he was at least being sincere, which is rare in poetry.

also you're a sheltered idiot if you think poverty and alcoholism can only be understood as a fantasy.

I like him, although many folks on Veeky Forums do not. His poetry is better than his novels, in my opinion.

>does he mainly appeal a certain brand of slightly bitter young men who romanticize poverty, alcoholism, and promiscuity
He does, but it's not like those are the only people he appeals to. He wrote about those things from experience and it doesn't come off as cringey as you might expect (again, others would disagree with me here). He wrote solid, unpretentious, working class poetry & prose. No need to make anything more or less of him and no need to be scared off by his fanbase, which is definitely comprised of many bitter young men.

2nd rate Celine 4 jews and normies

he's ok. a bit dated, eventually will be a lot dated.

I'm a big fan, but I am also an alcoholic loser who has been passed by my whole life. In other words, it's relatable for me.

what a cuck

I thought Post Office and Factotum were funny and depressing and in some ways relatable.

I really need to read more of his poetry though

DUDE LIQUOR AND WHORES LMAO

DUDE I HATE PAYING BILLS AND AND WORKING FOR A LIVING LMAO

Yeah, so?

>what's wrong with consuming literal shit and calling it poetry and literature bro?

>also you're a sheltered idiot if you think poverty and alcoholism can only be understood as a fantasy.

This, that is half the reason I like Bukowski so much, his writing reminds me of my life.

I rather his poetry over his novels. It's a bit overrated but still entertaining and a working class voice that should be read sometime.
Why do you reply to such an obnoxious retard?
Post Office is great, one of my favorite Bukowski's works.

I actually have a female friend who started writing because she really dug bukowski. And now she's like, published and stuff.
Imo he's pretty good.

I haven't read his stuff yet but I very much want to, and I also love the movie Barfly in which he has a small cameo. I didn't enjoy Factotum quite as much.

poetry is good, novels are tiring, worth reading, stay away from people who venerate him

That's not how I wanted it to come across and if it did then sorry.

Eh, I thought Ham on Rye was good. Not as repetitive as his other novels. You're right about the last part though.

He's not only read by these bitter young men you speak of.

Women who want to live the horror-fantasy of fucking an ugly old man who will treat them like shit also gravitate to his books.

The only novel of his that I've read was Women and it was unremarkable. I've read over a dozen books of his poetry, though. His earlier stuff is alright. There are only a few good poems in each collection. He's repetitive and shallow for the most part. The majority of his later poems are about writing poetry, which is just cheap and lazy. His output was definitely quantity over quality. Bukowski is a phase that people grow out of. He's the literary equivalent of heavy metal music.

You're a post-ironic pleb.

Read Ham on Rye. It's probably his only good novel.

I bet you like the Beats.

this

he even admitted it

I understand the usual snobbish attitude most literary types have against him, but I've always found his stuff to be very relatable.

Same thing goes for John Fante. Their stuff may be pablum to stuff like Twain or Faulkner, but I'm very glad they existed.

well-loved by the same pretentious dudebros that watch pulp fiction and attend burning man