Help me to choose!

Hello my fellow Veeky Forumsoockers.
I have to choose between those two knives.
The one in the left, as you can see, is a Boker knife and it have teflon in it surface.
The other one is a Baoci ceramic knife.
Do you know the brands? Wich one do you think is better?
Is it worth the teflon knife? if the teflon starts to rip out of the knife it would make it instantly useless... so I don't know.

In all seriousness, they are both meme knives. Why can't you choose regular steel?

>meme knife
I bet it was tough for your parents bringing up a retard.

They struggled a bit at times but persevered anyway. Love was the key there 2bh.

You have become yourself a meme. Saying that something is a meme makes yourself a meme. And not a funny one...

no u
(get it? funny meme)

Teflon knives just sounds retarded. I'd go with ceramic tbqh

Do you have a better argument than "it sounds retarded"?

Both of them are reddit knives.

I do. It is retarded.
fpbp but I assume you are retarded also

>try a ceramic knife and love it
>ask mom for a small set of ceramics for my birthday
>gets me steel knives coated in pastel ceramic colors
>can't even buy my own ceramic knives now because it's rude
Th-thanks mom

You can't sharpen ceramic at home, if you want to throw it out and buy a new one or pay someone to sharpen it the ceramic might not be bad. Careful about your cutting surface. Does stay sharp for a long time.

I'm not sure what the point of the ceramic coating is, i guess so stuff doesn't stick to the side of your knife. You'd be better off with a normal knife I think.

>asking for something without giving a specific example
>expecting a woman to buy correct thing

And you are the devil.

I've bought a cheap teflon knife once, just to see how it performed. The teflon is absolutely useless. It didn't make cutting or slicing any easier. It also started to chip off pretty fast too, so before you know the sharp part of the knife is just regular knife.

I've seen the ceramic ones. Must say I'm a bit curious about those. I expect them to be somewhat better than teflon, but I fear they'll chip and the sharp chips ending up in the food.

Teflon sucks

Yes, I know that one of the cons about ceramic knifes is that you can't sharpen it at home but they stay sharp for a long time if you take care of them, sa you have said.
I think that the point is that ceramic knifes are lighter than the regular ones and therefore most easy to use. I would like a normal knife too, but its a present. Thanks for the answer!

Thanks for letting me know that, I've heard about other people telling the same thing about teflon.
For what I've heard about the ceramic knifes, if you don't let them fall or hit them with something and you take care of it blade cutting in plastic or wood, the blade can have a good useful life.

>Family member has a mason jar full of disposable ceramic knives
>They all cut like shit
>They're all too small to easily cut things
>They fucking shatter and embed ceramic into your food if you hit a bone or apply any lateral pressure
>Can't sharpen them

They're white trash dollar store garbage
Just another situation where stupid people will buy $400 worth of disposable knives over their lifetime and still have wet feet instead of buying a single half-decent knife that will last decades

>They fucking shatter and embed ceramic into your food if you hit a bone or apply any lateral pressure

Ceramic knifes are not for that. Thats why they are not sharp and thats why they are all fucking shatter.

looks like you have the answer user
ceramic

The bizarre hatred for ceramic knives continues

meanwhile, my friend who actually works in restaurants that are far too expensive for me to go to, says ceramic knives are a crucial part of the equipment now and most all fruit and veggie prep is done with them

>if u hit a bone durr

why the fuck are you cutting something that has bones with a ceramic knife, you actual retard? you're no smarter than jack who tried to cut through a fucking wooden spoon with one

So they're for everything my steel knife does except for cutting food and not contaminating food with shards of "razor" sharp plastic

>Meanwhile my friend who works at the appeal to authority factory
Okay so they cut fucking tomatoes and carrots, which I can do with my chef knife, which also isn't going to fucking shatter the moment I try to separate a chicken leg quarter
I'm glad someone whose level of critical thinking tapers off at "Commercial kitchens have them, so they must be good for home too" bothers to have opinions, possibly while considering installing a gas wok range next to his commercial pressure-washer

>ceramic knives are made of plastic
Retard.

>cost efficiency is defined differently when you work in a fucking restaurant

no fucking way, really?
we're talking about what's good for a single person's irregular unstrenuous daily use.

When you go to the barber, they have disposable straight-edge razors. Any barber would tell you this is a fucking godsend. This is because having a disposable straight-edge offers these things to a barber:
>no need for sharpening
>no need for worrying over sanitising process
>light weight
>cheap enough that when accounting for time saved on maintenance and hygiene you can easily justify bulk orders for a business

When you, a private citizen, are shopping for a straight edge razor, disposable won't even fucking rank because you don't have the same fucking concerns.

When you're trying to meet the demands of a restaurant, you will have different concerns for your tools than you will if you're shopping for your personal kitchen. Sometimes those differences will be negligible, sometimes they will be vast. The point is trying to justify anything by saying "Wow all you idiots are still gabbing about this while my buddy who works at The Grand Central Oyster Bar swears by THIS" is fucking idiotic.

Oh boy, pedantry, you sure fucking showed me you literal autist

>Oh boy, pederasty, you sure fucking showed me you literal autist

:joy::ok_hand::skin-tone-5:

Everybody is having a nice conversation and you came here with all your "fucks".
I don't care if you think that someone in his own kitchen can't have those kind of knifes. Maybe I'm not a professional but I like to give to my food some standars that are close to a restaurant or maybe I just want to be able to do some details. Ceramic knives are lighter and therefore it's easier to slice vegies and fruits in regular forms to cook them properly.
I'm not even saying that I have the same concerns than a professional kitchen, I'm asking wich of those knifes are better, do you have something productive to say? if not, please go away.

Yes, I do have something productive to say; buy a chef knife

>Ceramic knives are light and therefore it's easier to slice vegies and fruits
No, because they're the size of a steak knife; use a chef's knife

Stop buying meme cookware

I apologise if my harsh language was offputting to you but I think you're wrong on every point:

>I like to give to my food some standars that are close to a restaurant
Being able to produce restaurant quality dishes is not even remotely the concern here. The issue is that these tools are valuable to a restaurant not because of their effect on the food but because of qualities having to do with the maintenance of the tool itself.

In the example of the straight edge: it is better for a business to have a bunch of disposable razors than to have to sanitise one to bylaw standards between customers. Clearly you can see that this is a concern that does not apply to a single person, however both a disposable and a non-disposable razor produce the same result. The same is true for kitchenware. The results are not in question here, and the benefits of a tool for a restaurateur will not necessarily translate to benefits for home use.

>Ceramic knives are lighter and therefore it's easier to slice veggies and fruits in regular forms to cook them properly.
the difference in weight is largely negligible and ceramic knives come with a number of shortcomings. There are other knives on the market that do not posses these shortcomings and they demonstrably produce comparable results "slicing veggies"

>I'm asking wich of those knifes are better
are you really asking that? Because everyone has pretty consistently said "ceramic knives aren't really worth it actually" which seems like a direct fucking answer to your purported question, but you seem to have a lot of trouble accepting that answer. Are you sure you're not asking "can you convince me to use this ceramic knife, I think it's really cool and I just want to give it a try?" Because that's a valid question too, and if you had asked it in the first place you'd get a lot of people more than willing to tell you what makes them interesting instead of being concerned about warning you about their shortcomings.

When we first got a ceramic knife, I was legitimately afraid to run my finger on it, after a few uses, the edge was no longer scary, and after a few months, it's still the sharpest knife we have but we also don't take good care of our shit knives.

if you go ceramic, look into how you would have to sharpen them.

Personally I would choose a nice metal knife over ceramic bearing very few circumstances.

you can sharpen at home, you just can't get the factory fresh edge at home.
even dull, these knives are likely going to be sharper than unmaintained metal ones.

they will, and they do, but you are talking about chips so small they can't realistically do anything to you.

If you want to try a ceramic knife, get the cheapest you can get as they are all basically the fucking same.

Yes, I'm asking that because I have to choose between those two FUCKING knifes as I've said in OP. Do you see a FUCKING third steel knife in the FUCKING picture? No, if you can count one and then two and none of the two are a fucking steel knife.

So between those two FUCKING knifes, because there is not a fucking third steel knife, wich one is FUCKING better?

in this context, a meme would mean different just to be different, not to be better.

that is what ceramic and teflon knives are, largely marketing wank and ceramics are only impressive to people who don't maintain their knives.

THE ONE THAT'S NOT FUCKING CERAMIC YOU DENSE FUCKING CUNT

to be fair it is the kitchen, and she is a woman so he though she would know.

get a ceramic paring knife, really just anything that the ones she got you does encompass, hell, you need a spare for when the other one is dirty and you don't want to wash it right away.

inb4
>wow, could you just answer my question? I'm trying to decide between these two knives!

they are crucial because through vegies and shit, they won't chip fast, and by the time it's worn out, you toss it and bring out another 20$ knife, it's cheaper than having someone maintain steel ones.

if you are able/willing to maintain, steel kicks the shit out of ceramic.

On the topic of razors, we are talking about barbers

the straight edge is easily the best, hands down, no question.
however laws made it really hard to use a straight razor so they made shavettes, straight razors that use half a disposable razors edge.

its not ease of use, straight razors are far better in that case
its not because they are hard to maintain, they are stupid fucking easy once you have the edge honed in
its all to do about the sanitizing process, and the fact that 5-10 straight razors per person would be enough to always have one sanitized properly, but the cost being 100-300$ a razor makes it impractical for all but specialty shops.

Boker it's an OK brand. But teflon coating is shit. Get some regular steel

I think that more or less exemplifies his point
the advantage is for what being disposable offers a business (due to laws) not because it is an inherently better tool

>they are crucial because through vegies and shit, they won't chip fast, and by the time it's worn out, you toss it and bring out another 20$ knife, it's cheaper than having someone maintain steel ones.

no, actually they use kyocera ceramics with the kyocera sharpener.

>you can't sharpen ceramics!!
yes, you can, stop talking

If I remember kyocera right, once they dull you can send them back and they will re sharpen them to the fine edge, it may be cheaper to have a few of those on site and send them in then threating them as disposable.

also, on the topic of sharper, yes and no.

because it's still a ceramic edge they are very brittle that extreme sharpness is gone within the first few uses and then it's down to every other knives sharpness level.

These stupidly sharp edges may be easier to maintain in a pro kitchen, that I don't know, but the reason the use them isn't they are sharper its likely the resharpening warranty.

and also, while you can sharpen a ceramic knife, shit is a motherfucker and you wont be getting it to factory sharp without fuckloads of skill or special equipment.