/chemg/ - Chemistry general

Haven't seen one in quite a while.

Questions for this thread:
>What are you currently working on?
>Which exam are you currently studying for?
>What's your favourite field?
>Found any interesting books or papers recently?

Helpful things:
>"Help me find a specific paper!"
Google Scholar is always a good place to start. If you've found the title, citation or a DOI, sci-hub can help you out from there

>"What is a good book on [Subject]?"
Check out the sticky. If you don't find what you're looking for there, ask ITT and if you found something useful, libgen or b-ok might have your book as a pdf.

>Help me make [Drug]!
No. The OP of this thread might or might not make a Google doc for that, depending on whether /chemg/s become a thing or not.

>"Help me solve this problem!"
Sure thing! The rules of /sqt/ apply, i. e., give your context and describe your thinking. If it's math related, please try to use the TeX function of this board where needed.

sup

Thanks based bob

I really really dislike analytical chemistry

I just finished writing a review I was working on with my professor and another undergrad. If it gets accepted it'll be my first publication. This week I'm going back into the lab. I do peptide synthesis, and study bacterial quorum sensing.
Just took my first "synthetic organic chemistry" exam of the year, was really tough.
Organic Chem
I found an interesting paper called "Protection (and Deprotection) of Functional Groups in Organic Synthesis by
Heterogeneous Catalysis" that I often make reference to when doing homework, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing

what do i do with this shitty degree?

Going into pharma and getting mad $$$. Other options would be polymer chemistry or petrochemistry.

Either a bottle washer or reactor operator or analysis runner with a bachelor's. If you get a PhD, whatever you want, which is what your PhD was on.

what's the best field?

Analytical chemistry is pretty comfy. Inorganic chemistry is nice with cluster chemistry and tech chemistry or electrochemistry is said to bring you the best salaries, at least where I live.

Not really a field but just be good or decent in a lot of different things, depending on your choice of advisor, this will automatically happen in gradschool.

Make your own molecules
Cast your own films
Perform your own calculations
Run your own electrochemistry and spectroscopy
Build your own devices

Complete synthesis and characterization, thorough. Too many people make a lot of molecules but do not deep characterization or don't make anything new but characterize the fuck out of previously made stuff.

Would be very appreciated if anyone explain the reasoning behind this

Buffer strength ~ Closeness to desired pH. Since they are both within 0.5 pH units, either works, or no?

I would choose 8.00, because the generation of hydronium ions will decrease pH

Yes but the question wants hydrogen ions, so wouldn't acid B be preferred?

This is me
True, I didn't think about that.

The more acidic one will be better because it will have more mols of conjugate base around to soak up protons I think

The answer is actually Acid B guys I just don't understand why

Could you explain why?

If the conjugate base is weaker then how is there more mol?

If the acid is strong, its conjugate base is weaker. Therefore, it requires a larger number of CB molecules to produce that pH than a weaker acid would require, because the conjugate base of the weaker acid is more basic per molecule. Remember that when preparing buffer solutions, usually they are made out of a mix of an acid and its CB, i.e. 4g of AcOH and 2g of AcNa in 100mL of water.

If this is unsatisfactory I can get way way more in depth but I didn't to drown you in it if you're just curious.

>graduated with a 2:1 in chemistry 4 months ago and havent even applied to any jobs or done anything really
is therapy a meme or could it actually help me get motivated?

Stronger buffer = smaller change in pH
Smaller change in pH = acid with smaller Ka
The one with smaller Ka is acid A

That's what I think At least

BS in mathematics, 3rd year

1. Grad-level linear algebra
2. Grad-level real analysis
3. Clinical neuroanatomy

Probably [math]
\mathbb{R}
[/math]

Not within the last week or so

I accidentally found some youtube videos of amateur rocket testing on youtube earlier this week and it seemed very interesting. I havent done any chemistry since highschool, but i still remember some stuff. According to a recipe I found you just have to mix potassiumnitrate and sugar or something else that is combustible.
Ive looked around in hardware stores but I havent been able to find any KNO3 so im thinking about making my own somehow. How could I do that?
Is it possible to use some other nitrate, because its the oxygen thats the important bit right?
Help appreciated.

>Organic chem

Mah nigga

pchem is better tho

Polymer chemist for battery industry. Doot doot mother fuckers