Academia is a joke

I'm about to finish my fourth semester at university and am disappointed. I always dreamed of finally attending an institution where I'd be surrounded by people who similarly to me enjoyed learning and the pursuit of knowledge, since that was not at all the case in high school.

The first year I spent in literature program where all of my classmates were progressives, gays, and women who did nothing but regurgitate the popular opinions to please the professor. Every one was a spoiled child who had no idea how to think critically or develop original ideas.

I transferred to engineering, and it's full of autistic video gamers and foreigners who can barely communicate during group work and abuse adderall for the tests. They don't enjoy STEM like I do, and are just there because they are too neurotic for any other potential career.

I've experienced both ends of the continuum of education. Is this rubbish the result of a corrupt generation or the result of university becoming available to the common man?

Its the result of you being a faggot autist who has no friends

>he fell for both the Humanities AND the STEM meme

Dude I have no words

>I transferred to engineering
Found the problem. Engineering and tech are full of autism, ESL students and normalfags who will give up in 2 semesters and were only in it for muh 80k starting. Do a hard science or math to find other people with passion.

>They don't enjoy STEM like I do
Found the autist

Is math a good option if I really enjoyed calc 1 and 2? What is your major, user?

You're going to think people in whatever course you're in are boring stupid assholes because most people are boring stupid assholes
Fucking get over it and focus on your own work

Talk to your professors.

>boo hoo most people are boring grey mass
You can find brilliant motivated people nearly everywhere - you just have to actually be interested in finding them. Of course if all you do is autistically shitpost about being 'to smart' your chances are slim. Then again why would those people want to spend time with a pretentious pseud?

>he went to a state school in the US
Top kek

>Is this rubbish the result of a corrupt generation or the result of university becoming available to the common man?
duh
excludability creates value

Math. If calc 2 didn't make you contemplate dropping out or suicide, you would probably be good in math.

>You can find brilliant motivated people nearly everywhere

Holy shit, how do you pretend to believe this

Calculus isn't hard, you're just stupid.

i havent experienced this at all, my lit classes are great.

low standards

Literally this. I'm falling for the humanities meme currently and even I don't find calculus hard. Un-meme yourself bro

Sounds like it's not easy at Brainlet U.

well aren't you precious

It's true. The secret is not being an asshole. Also socializing. You need to get out and meet people and not just shut yourself down and everyone else out.

If you can't find these people the problem might just be you.

You might be that contradictory autist that speaks too much in class, annoying everyone. You might just be that thorny dick who no one really wishes to speak to because they act like they're above everyone. People don't want to bother with that, especially motivated and intelligent people. They don't want to be bogged down by that garbage.

Do undergraduate research, the relatively good autists and success are both there

Or you're just the mediocre loser who has to pretend everything is great so as to be digestable as possible to be accepted.
In general I find the issue today is people have too low standards and tolerance of nonsense to fit in than too high

Call II is a substantial step up from calc I

the only retards I've found who say this are the ones who took AP calc 1 in high school and think that's all there is to it.

>calculus is math

brainlet detected. do you consider arithmetic math too?

Calc 2 is definitely the biggest weed out course in most STEM fields. It's not the hardest by any stretch, but it's the first that you can't just coast past.

>Arithmetic: the branch of mathematics dealing with the properties and manipulation of numbers.

Uhh... yes?

>people dont like me because im an asshole and it is their fault

Can't this just be solved by going to an expensive and/or selective college?

Do you have many friends though?

Veeky Forums is for literature, Veeky Forums is for blogging about humanities.

Fuck off.

No none, I have no time for that nonsense

Yeah i was in a literature major too and for the same reasons as you i switched to something else. I didnt go to STEM though, i went to history instead.
Most of the books we read in that major were by necessity obviously non fiction but the little fiction we did read inspired much more discussion and critical thinking in class than i ever saw in the literature classes.

>tfw humanities is piss easy for me because i just appeal to muh oppression in every essay

Translation: I told myself I was looking for people who think like me, but was really looking for people who look and have sex like me, and was disappointed on these arbitrary criteria

Now, I'm not trying to tell you that your English classmates were a bunch of Samuel Johnsons, but you can hardly have determined with any real certainty if they were or not, having already ruled them out based on criteria entirely irrelevant to literary understanding. Similarly with the engineers: if you already cannot tolerate "foreigners," you can hardly judge their actual skills and commitment with any objectivity. It is entirely on you if you are going in unable to esteem or even get along with anybody who is not part of your demographic. Identity politics of all sorts (including the kind that you subscribe to--perhaps including it especially) is the real cancer rotting this generation. It's all ressentiment. But yes, the cause of everything you've observed is the result of university becoming available to the common man. There are indeed grave ills involved in this, but you have barely touched on them.